Williams-Sonoma

25 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Copy Manager Interview

Copy Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Interview Details – It was long, hard. There were writing tests and multiple interviews with multiple people. Process dragged out for months, not weeks. HR and others were variously assertive and then would disappear. Don't take this personally! Now that I've been here for some time, I understand that it's part of the company culture. It's the first place I've been where emails often go unanswered.

Interview Question – Questions are standard, but expect to be asked about the brand itself and about your awareness of the competition. They may try to get at who you are as a person by asking about what brands YOU respond to - and why.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They would not budge on salary. I took a pay cut to work here. They were unapologetic and said those are the kinds of decisions one makes "for the privilege of working" for the brand.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2009.

Interview Details – Easy - back then they just needed help. No training though.

Interview Question – There really weren't any.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in May 2013.

Interview Details – 3 phone interviews + 1 onsite 4 hours

Interview Question – how would manage a project with contract development assigned to vendors selected by less costly offer? Not always the best quality   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – for the questions I was asked

Gift Wrap Interview

Gift Wrap
San Francisco, CA

I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2009.

Interview Details – I walked in to the store and I filled out an application. A few days later, they called me for a group interview, which had about about 8 interviewees and 1 interviewer. The questions were really easy, like, why do you want to work here, what's your worst/best customer service experience.

Holiday Temporary Sales Support Interview

Holiday Temporary Sales Support
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2012.

Interview Details – Large group interview, mostly walk-ins. The flow was somewhat awkward to questions. Somewhat vague answers for the types of positions and hours available for hire, what each department is looking for, etc.
Prepare for information about your favorite department, product, and thing to cook.

Interview Question – Prepare best/worst customer service experience stories, apply to your current experience and strengths.   Answer Question

Visual/Sales Associate Interview

Visual/Sales Associate
Corte Madera, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2010.

Interview Details – You will fill out an application and meet with the hiring manager. Most new hires happen in the month of October for seasonal work. After the season is over they usually select a few of the "great" seasonal workers and add them to the regular staff.

Interview Question – Availability. This is tricky because they will not guarantee you any hours, so if you want this to be your only job, better have a second job just in case you get "no" hours   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My hiring was conducted in a group setting. All of us were hired for the season. Then I was selected to be a permanent employee after the season was over.

Contractor IT Role Interview

Contractor IT Role
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in January 2014.

Interview Details – had an interview setup by the recruiter. The funny part is we don't who the interviewer was. She said she had worked at the company for years yet she had no linkedin profile or evidence of her. She may have been a contractor interviewing another contractor

Interview Question – iT was a phone call. She called with no formal introduction of herself. It sounded like a call from a restaurant that my order was ready. Seriously, that was the most unprofessional call in my career. She had 2 specific questions and I answered them and then she abruptly said "sure well have next steps ready", then the recruiter called to say she was not interested because I did not specific skillset of XYZ but the interviewer did not ask any questions about XYZ.

Basically, whoever she was, she was dismissing candidates and then just saying they don't have the experience. This was truly irresponsible!!!! IT just seemed like she was not the decision maker. She was taking notes for the decision maker. Amateur interviewer!!!

Whoever is interviewing they must have the patience to interview a candidate. She does not have the right to dismiss candidates from the applicant pool..Good candidates are being dismissed which could benefit the company.
  View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in April 2013.

Interview Details – Nice, clean, simple, stylish environment. Pleasant reception and people. Offered me coffee, restroom use, etc. upon arrival. Easy parking and commute. Well organized interview schedule. Provided all names, titles. All interviewers were prompt, professional, knowledgeable and well spoken. Each began and ended on time. Pleasant experience. Firm handshake. Only one mid-level manager wasn't real warm (didn't smile much)

Interview Question – All questions were normal and expected. Questions were open-ended, encouraging details and specific skills and accomplishments. Asked for most challenging situation and how I resolved it. What did I enjoy about my work most and what I least enjoyed.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The quieter one that didn't interact warmly with me didn't ask very many questions. But, provided criticism that didn't seem based upon anything observed either in person or on my resume. She may have wanted someone else for the job.

Treasury Analyst Interview

Treasury Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Treasury Analyst position on the Williams-Sonoma website and then I received an email from the recruiter a few days later. She set up a phone screen and eventually contacted me a few days later to conduct the screen. The phone screen was easy and consisted of basic interview questions such as "walk me through your resume" and "why do you want this position?". The recruiter then informed me during the interview that she would pass my resume to the hiring manager.

A few days later, I received a response from the recruiter and was set up for another phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview with the hiring manager lasted for 30 minutes and also consisted of rather basic fit questions such as "why do you want this position?" and "walk me through your resume". A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter telling me that they would not be moving forward.

I suspect that my previous salary played a strong role in my rejection as it was over 50% higher than the maximum salary Williams-Sonoma could offer for this role and as both the recruiter and hiring manager throughout the interview kept asking me whether I would work for that kind of pay. The sad thing about Williams-Sonoma's pay is that my previous employer was known for paying slightly below market in the Bay Area. Williams-Sonoma is notorious in the Bay Area for paying near the bottom of the pay scale (just read all the reviews in Glassdoor) and for having long hours so I was neither disappointed nor surprised by the rejection.

Interview Questions

Assistant Control Buyer Interview

Assistant Control Buyer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Williams-Sonoma in April 2009.

Interview Details – I've interviewed three times now for positions at Williams-Sonoma Inc. Of those interviews, I've had two sets of all day interviews and 1 set of telephone interviews. The disappointing part, and what I think is the unprofessional part, of the process is that at no time did the HR rep ever get back to me with an answer.

Initial contact is great, very professional and prompt. I guess once the decision is made that the candidate is not a good fit, they don't feel that they have to continue the communication process. The puzzling part is that if I'm not a good fit, why do they continue to bring me in for interviews?

I have heard that work life balance is non-existent and the pay scale is a little below the competition.

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you had a conflict with your boss. what was it, and how did you resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!