Williams-Sonoma Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.5

Copy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It was long, hard. There were writing tests and multiple interviews with multiple people. Process dragged out for months, not weeks. HR and others were variously assertive and then would disappear. Don't take this personally! Now that I've been here for some time, I understand that it's part of the company culture. It's the first place I've been where emails often go unanswered.

Interview Questions

• Questions are standard, but expect to be asked about the brand itself and about your awareness of the competition. They may try to get at who you are as a person by asking about what brands YOU respond to - and why.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They would not budge on salary. I took a pay cut to work here. They were unapologetic and said those are the kinds of decisions one makes "for the privilege of working" for the brand.

Control Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

-meet with several people -there is usually one tough person -analytical questions -culture fit is big -dress professionally; suit is important -come with questions -send follow up thank you notes to everyone -collect business cards -come prepared with areas that you think WSI can improve -if you don't know an answer to a question, as for a moment to think

Interview Questions

• -markdown strategy for item not depicted that was originally depicted -describe a situation where I was a rising leader -what are my areas of opportunity -what would my colleagues say about me   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Corte Madera, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Very outgoing manager who interviewed me. Made it a very comfortable situation and not stressful at all. He hired me on the spot and got me in to start training the day after.

Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Easy. No technical questions. Because the staff isn't qualified, they have a very hard time asking questions that are relevant. This, ultimately is a warning to anyone technical trying to join the operations engineering team. If you're looking for a challenging career, this isn't the place for you. Everyone is riding their time out for bonuses and/or 401k.

Interview Questions

• Almost no technical questions were asked. Technical staff is not qualified. If you know your stuff you'll run circles around the staff sadly.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate high because raises and promotions are hard to come by.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

*Very* low-key, easy group interview. The manager leading it spent most of the time explaining the on-boarding process, listing the positions they were filling, and roughly describing what to expect as a seasonal employee. The whole process was super fast and easy. I filled out an application on a Thursday, got a call the same day inviting me to the interview the next evening, got an offer on Sunday, and went to the (paid) on-boarding session on Wednesday.

Gift Wrap Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

I walked in to the store and I filled out an application. A few days later, they called me for a group interview, which had about about 8 interviewees and 1 interviewer. The questions were really easy, like, why do you want to work here, what's your worst/best customer service experience.

Visual/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (Corte Madera, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

You will fill out an application and meet with the hiring manager. Most new hires happen in the month of October for seasonal work. After the season is over they usually select a few of the "great" seasonal workers and add them to the regular staff.

Interview Questions

• Availability. This is tricky because they will not guarantee you any hours, so if you want this to be your only job, better have a second job just in case you get "no" hours   1 Answer

Negotiation

My hiring was conducted in a group setting. All of us were hired for the season. Then I was selected to be a permanent employee after the season was over.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Mateo, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I walked in at my local store and asked for an application. I filled one out, got called back a couple days later, and came back to sit down with the manager to chat. She told me the basic logistics of being a seasonal sales associate, and promptly answered all my questions. At the end of the interview, she let me know that I had an offer and that I had the next few days to decide to take it or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

Easy - back then they just needed help. No training though.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none.

Holiday Temporary Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Williams-Sonoma (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Large group interview, mostly walk-ins. The flow was somewhat awkward to questions. Somewhat vague answers for the types of positions and hours available for hire, what each department is looking for, etc. Prepare for information about your favorite department, product, and thing to cook.

Interview Questions

• Prepare best/worst customer service experience stories, apply to your current experience and strengths.   Answer Question