Williams-Sonoma

2.5

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in May 2013.

3 phone interviews + 1 onsite 4 hours

Interview Questions
    • how would manage a project with contract development assigned to vendors selected by less costly offer? Not always the best quality   Answer Question

for the questions I was asked

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in April 2013.

Nice, clean, simple, stylish environment. Pleasant reception and people. Offered me coffee, restroom use, etc. upon arrival. Easy parking and commute. Well organized interview schedule. Provided all names, titles. All interviewers were prompt, professional, knowledgeable and well spoken. Each began and ended on time. Pleasant experience. Firm handshake. Only one mid-level manager wasn't real warm (didn't smile much)

Interview Questions
    • All questions were normal and expected. Questions were open-ended, encouraging details and specific skills and accomplishments. Asked for most challenging situation and how I resolved it. What did I enjoy about my work most and what I least enjoyed.   Answer Question

The quieter one that didn't interact warmly with me didn't ask very many questions. But, provided criticism that didn't seem based upon anything observed either in person or on my resume. She may have wanted someone else for the job.

Finance Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma.

Interviewed by VP, and it was a very generic type of interview. I did get the feeling that the VP thought I was much too senior for the role and continued to challenge me on my willingness to get involved hands on in the role and whether I would be willing to work in an environment that could be unpredictable.

After this interview I was taken to a second interview with a person who would be a peer to this role. This person had not looked at my resume beforehand and we spent the first 5 minutes of the interview in silence whilst they read through my resume. As they had not prepared at all for the interview, it was all down hill from here as they had no idea what to questions to ask me and we stumbled through for 30 mins.

I left the premises thinking there is no way I'm getting this job, and guess what.

I was spot on.

Holiday Temporary Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2012.

Large group interview, mostly walk-ins. The flow was somewhat awkward to questions. Somewhat vague answers for the types of positions and hours available for hire, what each department is looking for, etc.
    Prepare for information about your favorite department, product, and thing to cook.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare best/worst customer service experience stories, apply to your current experience and strengths.   Answer Question

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in August 2012.

I was contacted by a recruiter over the phone and we went over the open position. I indicated my interest and was set up for two thirty minute interviews with two separate people. I ended up coming into the interview and sitting for an hour with three people. The questions were very personality and work style based. Though speaking with the three different personality types made it difficult to connect with each person.

Interview Questions
    • We only have one hour to get to know you so tell us about yourself.   View Answer

Senior Marketing Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in May 2012.

Was an employee referral so got to talk with HR pretty quickly who reviewed my qualifications over the phone and then set up an in-person interview with the Director. The Director was smart, honest (as honest as she could be and still remain PC) and easy to talk to. Would have loved to work with her but it seemed that there was some internal politics going on which is why I think I did not get the job. I would be interested in other opportunities at this company if they arose.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected but they were concerned with my lack of retail experience and emphasized the fast-paced nature of the business.   Answer Question

Junior E-mail Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in March 2012.

I got the interview chance thru a staffing agency. The position was Jr. E-mail Designer for Pottery Barn Kids. I was waiting for the interviewer for about 5 mins in the lobby. Then she came down and took elevator with me to her office. I had a chance to take a peek at the office and it looked very warm and home-ish to me (maybe it's because of the dim light). My interviewer seemed in rush and asked me couple questions. I also showed her my portfolio, yet she seemed not very interested. She looked like she's in a hurry, the interview was only less than 15 mins. Few days later, I received an e-mail of the recruiter of the staffing agency, telling me that I didn't get selected. I felt alright with their decision since it would be a 6-month contract position, and this position is delicate to e-mail campaign only.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2011.

The recruiter for this position was very positive and easy to interview with - basic behavioral interview questions. I met with 3 people for an in person interview. This panel consisted of the current EA, the CEO's EA, and one of the two VPs that this position would support.

My initial thoughts: The lobby was less than inviting - in need of a major face lift. Restrooms were down a dark, narrow hallway where pallets and pallet movers lined the walls. Understandably this location is an old warehouse in SF, however, given Williams-Sonoma reputation, they could do a much more inviting decore. Offices were not much better - dirty carpets throughout.

The interviewers were cordial and predictable. Basic questions around skills and behavior.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths? Weaknesses? What do you know about Williams-Sonoma? Why do you want to work for Williams-Sonoma?   Answer Question

Treasury Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2010.

I applied online for the Treasury Analyst position on the Williams-Sonoma website and then I received an email from the recruiter a few days later. She set up a phone screen and eventually contacted me a few days later to conduct the screen. The phone screen was easy and consisted of basic interview questions such as "walk me through your resume" and "why do you want this position?". The recruiter then informed me during the interview that she would pass my resume to the hiring manager.

A few days later, I received a response from the recruiter and was set up for another phone interview with the hiring manager. The phone interview with the hiring manager lasted for 30 minutes and also consisted of rather basic fit questions such as "why do you want this position?" and "walk me through your resume". A few days later, I received an email from the recruiter telling me that they would not be moving forward.

I suspect that my previous salary played a strong role in my rejection as it was over 50% higher than the maximum salary Williams-Sonoma could offer for this role and as both the recruiter and hiring manager throughout the interview kept asking me whether I would work for that kind of pay. The sad thing about Williams-Sonoma's pay is that my previous employer was known for paying slightly below market in the Bay Area. Williams-Sonoma is notorious in the Bay Area for paying near the bottom of the pay scale (just read all the reviews in Glassdoor) and for having long hours so I was neither disappointed nor surprised by the rejection.

Visual/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2010.

You will fill out an application and meet with the hiring manager. Most new hires happen in the month of October for seasonal work. After the season is over they usually select a few of the "great" seasonal workers and add them to the regular staff.

Interview Questions
    • Availability. This is tricky because they will not guarantee you any hours, so if you want this to be your only job, better have a second job just in case you get "no" hours   View Answer
    My hiring was conducted in a group setting. All of us were hired for the season. Then I was selected to be a permanent employee after the season was over.