Williams-Sonoma Seasonal Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 4, 2014

1.9

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2012.

Interview process was good, but misleading. I was not told many things such as I would be required to work on call. Once hired, I and the other seasonal were given NO training. However we were constantly berated by one operations manager who although very nice should never have been put in that role. Too insecure.

Other Interview Reviews for Williams-Sonoma

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2012.

Last month I walked in to WS, and asked the store manager if they were hiring, she said yes, and handed me an application. I filled it out and returned it the same day. She said they will call and schedule an interview when they start hiring for the holidays. Last Friday they called and scheduled a group interview for Monday. There were about 13-14 people in the group interview. The store manager started off by giving some background information about herself and the company. From there we went around and stated our name, why we chose WS, and what area (Cashier, Gift Wrapper, Stock, Table-settings, Demos, Recovery) would we like to work in, and our availability. From there she asked us what do we consider good customer service. That was basically the interview process, very easy. She told us we will know by Friday if we were hired. I received a call this morning from them accepting the job offer, and I start later this week for orientation.

Note: If you're a customer of WS, interested in learning how to cook, knows how to cook, knife expert, machinery expert...mention it during your interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Williams-Sonoma?

What area would you be best in?

What do you consider good customer service?
        View Answer
    It's a seasonal position, didn't negotiate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2011.

Referral by a friend. Dropped off completed application and then got a call couple days later for a group interview. 8 people in group interview. Got a call couple days later with job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Interview held in store stockroom. Asked to go pick an item for the stockroom and then sell it.   View Answer
    No negotiaton phase

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Station, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntington Station, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in September 2011.

There was only one face to face interview. They asked basic questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for Williams-Sonoma   View Answer
    It wasn't but I needed a job and at that time I took what was offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in August 2011.

Very easy to get in so long as you know the history of the company, have a pleasant phone voice, and know good customer service skills.

* Make sure you know why you want to work there.
    * Make sure you know the company history.
    * Make sure you can tell about a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.
    * Make sure you can tell about a time when you calmly handled an escalated issue.
    * Make sure you can provide an example of working on a team.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a little about yourself (not hard).   View Answer
    • Make sure you know Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and are very good with toggling internet windows on Explorer. You need to know how to shop online and how to navigate online shopping cards.

MS Excel - make sure you know how to enter data into cells, change fonts, change colors, and sort in ascending or descending order.
      MS Word - ensure you know how to type and write a letter with good grammar, spelling, etc.
        Answer Question
    Hours and pay are non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2009.

Easy - back then they just needed help. No training though.

There was none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2008.

Interview was held in the mall, sitting on a bench. General questions about reason for wanting to work at Williams-Sonoma, Looking for great customer service.

Didn't try to negotiate

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in November 2011.

Picked up an application from the store, filled it up and brought it back the next day.This was a seasonal position.
    I gave it to the person at the register who happened to be an assistant manager. She told me to come for a group interview. I arrived to the interview and met another 7 applicants. We were taken to the back of the store to a small room and were seated in a circle facing each other.The interviewer told us about the company and it's founder. Then asked each of us to tell its name and what kind of experience we have in retail and customer service.Then she told us about the kind of opening they have for the holidays ( cashiers,stock room, gift wrappers) each of us has to choose a position and tell the interviewer their choice and why. During the interview another person (manager?) joined the interviewer they both were writing notes.
    We were told about the rate and schedule, and about the parking arrangements.
    I have never heard back from them. Forgot to mention I have no previous experience in retail therefor I choose the gift wrapper position.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Williams-Sonoma in October 2011.

I had previously worked at this location, but not as an employee; rather, as a contractor for another company performing product demos. I was already familiar with the management, the staff, and the store itself. Management was very pleased to see me apply. The single interview was informal. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with various scenarios involving a customer attempting to return an item?   View Answer
    Based upon my work history, I was able to negotiate a small wage increase over the going rate. I realize the retail business operates on small margins, but I was grateful that my work experience was taken into account. Management was more than reasonable during negotiations.