Wilshire Associates

9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Quality Assurance Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Wilshire Associates.

Interview Details – Phone interview. 30 mins. 1 Managing director, 1 Senior Associate, 1 HR.
As this position is for a new office, so the requirement is not as high as it is elsewhere.
Basically went through my resume. Asked me one specific project in school.
What is your market of interest, why.
The phone line is not very good. I asked the interviewers to reply their questions for like 3 times. It was a AT&T meeting line.

Interview Question – What is your market of interest.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in June 2009.

Interview Details – when interviewing at Wilshire Associates, it is important to show commitment to the investment industry and to demonstrate your value add. The ability to think outside of the box is important, be prepared to provide examples of how you have done this at previous firms.

Interview Question – explain the different methods for private equity valuations.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in July 2013.

Interview Details – First did a phone interview with an Associate who was very nice and told me a little more about specifically the position entailed. He called me again a few days later and arranged an in-person at their office in Santa Monica. I interviewed with him and a more senior Associate. Received email decision in a few days.

Interview Question – Do you trade stocks? (they said there is a correlation between trading your own stocks and doing well in the position)   View Answer

Interviewed at Wilshire Associates

Interview Details – 6 interviews total

Interview Question – write a math proof   Answer Question

Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on a Monday/Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and scheduled an initial phone screener for Thursday. On the phone, I was informed that they needed to fill this position quickly as the current person is leaving (or already left, couldn't not hear clearly due to static/accent). After phone interview, got a call same day in the afternoon for an onsite interview. Scheduled for the following week, day after New Years. Also, I was asked to bring in a writing sample. The interview itself was fairly short (about 45mins). In preparation for the interview, I refreshed on my math finance, namely option pricing and portfolio theory, also I spent a bit of time researching the firm. Turned out this position (and the consulting division of Wilshire), does not directly invest anything. They simply get what the clients' goals are and then REFER them to the actual investment firms/funds. Needless to say, I was quite a bit disappointed because on the Wilshire website, they mentioned all these exciting new things they are doing in INVESTING. But even then I remained enthusiastic because I have always wanted to embark on a career in finance, and I had to start somewhere. I was interviewed by a Sr. Associate, a recently promoted Sr. Analyst, and an Associate (the person who screened me on the phone). While the Sr. Analyst and Associate seemed to be paying attention to what I was saying, the Sr. Associate seemed rather disinterested. Although they were all very friendly and relaxed. At the end of the day, I tried my best to outline my quantitative background, which included courses in mathematical modeling/real analysis/math finance/investment theory, and programming in C++, C#, Java, Matlab, SAS, etc. However the nature of this firm and this position is more qualitatively oriented. Thus after I named my familiarity with all those technical software/programming languages/topics in math finance, they asked me if I knew Excel. Apparently Excel is all they needed.

Long story short, if you want to get some experience to ultimately get a MFE and become a quant, this is NOT the place to be. They do not care for your quantitative training at all. I was informed that they took someone with more experience, which is understandable since my only previous finance experience was an internship.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions. Standard ones such as "why should we hire you", "what do you know about Wilshire", explain your background. Pretty much they look at your resume and ask you questions from your resume. Nothing difficult at all. This is an entry level position after all.   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in March 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a group of people. Interviewers did not seem enthusiastic and it gave me a bad impression of the position as well as the company.

Interview Question – Where do you want to be in 5 years?   Answer Question

Product Support Analyst Interview

Product Support Analyst
Santa Monica, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in November 2011.

Interview Details – I got an initial phone interview through a recruiter. The phone interview lasted 20 to 30 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions, experience questions - nothing crazy. A week later I got a call for an interview at their offices. The interview conducted by two managers and consisted of similar experience and behavioral questions, but also included some basic finance questions. They weren't hard questions but don't be caught off-guard going into the interview.

Interview Questions

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Client Relationship Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in February 2008.

Interview Details – I was called in first to interview with 1 junior and 1 senior staff. After that about a week later I was called in to meet 2 more senior staff in New York. After passing that stage, I did have a video conference with the division heads in California. The final stage seemed more like a formality, but the first two stages were average to difficult.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe standard deviation to the ordinary person on the street?   Answer Question
  • What was the best thing you have done in your life?   Answer Question

Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in October 2011.

Interview Details – Panel Interview with the 2 Vice Presidents went well, as did the interview with the head of the company. The associates with the company however seemed to be quite uninteresting in the interview process.

Interview Question – Would you handle a problem yourself or seek help?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Wilshire Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wilshire Associates interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Wilshire Associates employees and interview candidates.