Wilshire Associates Interview Questions & Reviews in Santa Monica, CA

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in June 2009.

when interviewing at Wilshire Associates, it is important to show commitment to the investment industry and to demonstrate your value add. The ability to think outside of the box is important, be prepared to provide examples of how you have done this at previous firms.

Interview Questions
    • explain the different methods for private equity valuations.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in January 2013.

Applied online on a Monday/Tuesday, got a call Wednesday and scheduled an initial phone screener for Thursday. On the phone, I was informed that they needed to fill this position quickly as the current person is leaving (or already left, couldn't not hear clearly due to static/accent). After phone interview, got a call same day in the afternoon for an onsite interview. Scheduled for the following week, day after New Years. Also, I was asked to bring in a writing sample. The interview itself was fairly short (about 45mins). In preparation for the interview, I refreshed on my math finance, namely option pricing and portfolio theory, also I spent a bit of time researching the firm. Turned out this position (and the consulting division of Wilshire), does not directly invest anything. They simply get what the clients' goals are and then REFER them to the actual investment firms/funds. Needless to say, I was quite a bit disappointed because on the Wilshire website, they mentioned all these exciting new things they are doing in INVESTING. But even then I remained enthusiastic because I have always wanted to embark on a career in finance, and I had to start somewhere. I was interviewed by a Sr. Associate, a recently promoted Sr. Analyst, and an Associate (the person who screened me on the phone). While the Sr. Analyst and Associate seemed to be paying attention to what I was saying, the Sr. Associate seemed rather disinterested. Although they were all very friendly and relaxed. At the end of the day, I tried my best to outline my quantitative background, which included courses in mathematical modeling/real analysis/math finance/investment theory, and programming in C++, C#, Java, Matlab, SAS, etc. However the nature of this firm and this position is more qualitatively oriented. Thus after I named my familiarity with all those technical software/programming languages/topics in math finance, they asked me if I knew Excel. Apparently Excel is all they needed.

Long story short, if you want to get some experience to ultimately get a MFE and become a quant, this is NOT the place to be. They do not care for your quantitative training at all. I was informed that they took someone with more experience, which is understandable since my only previous finance experience was an internship.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. Standard ones such as "why should we hire you", "what do you know about Wilshire", explain your background. Pretty much they look at your resume and ask you questions from your resume. Nothing difficult at all. This is an entry level position after all.   View Answer

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in March 2010.

Interviewed with a group of people. Interviewers did not seem enthusiastic and it gave me a bad impression of the position as well as the company.

Product Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Wilshire Associates in November 2011.

I got an initial phone interview through a recruiter. The phone interview lasted 20 to 30 minutes and consisted of behavioral questions, experience questions - nothing crazy. A week later I got a call for an interview at their offices. The interview conducted by two managers and consisted of similar experience and behavioral questions, but also included some basic finance questions. They weren't hard questions but don't be caught off-guard going into the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What is performance attribution?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you were faced with a challenge and how did you overcome the challenge?   Answer Question

Worked for Wilshire Associates? Contribute to the Community!