Wilsons The Leather Experts

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wilsons The Leather Experts

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

One lady interviewed me and another sat and observed the interview and suggested questions. There were a lot of questions. Many of them about personal experiences with work, team building, unfair employers, or difficult fellow employees/people, how you handled it, etc. The lady observing the interview goaded the interviewer to ask hard questions. It was a little uncomfortable. There were I couple of questions that I could have answered better. They will ask you to sell them a pen, I messed up a little and they laughed a bit. They were nice, but I felt very judged and I felt slightly uncomfortable. But, it was also my first time ever interviewing for a retail job ever. Still, nonetheless, it was not a great experience :(

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to deal with a difficult person, how did you deal with it?
      They will ask you to sell a pen to them.
      What are your favorite fashion trends?
      What is something in your closet that you cannot let go of?
      Why do you want to work here?

Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (Gurnee, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a current employee that I previously worked with. I filled out the application and turned in my resume to the Store Manager which immediately scheduled me for an interview. The interview was very engaging and explained the responsibilities of the position I applied for, also the kind of leader the store manager was looking for. A few days later I was contacted by the District manager for an interview. I met with her in store and this too was a great experience in which the DM was looking to get to know my style and work ethic along with past experiences. I was then called back by the store manager with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had a conflict with another peer at work and what you did to handle the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

With no past management experience, I believe I was offered a fair hourly wage and no negotiation was needed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (Lancaster, PA) in March 2014.

Interview

2 interview. Both phone. Both interviewers were late calling. 1 was 2 1/2 hours late other was 20 minutes. No apology from either. Highlighted the lack of respect they have for you as a person when you work there. Received an offer over the phone. Was told I would receive an email with specific such as start date and location. Received 48 hours before starting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got what I asked for. Accepted offer, wish I hadn't.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts.

Interview

I was searched out for this position. Word of mouth had put me in the running for an interview. I had a phone interview followed by a meet and greet with DM a week later. Interview was very casual, i actually filled out my application during my interview. I wasnt bombarded with the standard "what if and how would you" questions. I was given a lot of background info on companyand the changes they were making. I was given a brief overview of job description, benefits, vacation time. I feel the interview was looking just to see my personality and how I would fit in this company as opposed to looking at numbers. Very comfortable and left with a positive feeling that it had gone well.

Negotiation

I got a call with an offer,I countered with a higher salary request as I had been in retail for 16 years and knew what I was worth. Was told that was much higher start pay for my store volume but they would get back to me. later that afternoon they came back to me with offer with what i was requesting for pay. I took the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (Albany, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

There will be a short application process. And an immediate face to face. Just to see if you have the vivacious personality to succeed in sales. So long as you have a smile on your face and a certain confidence there's no reason you shouldn't ace the interview. It may not be an upscale position but it is necessary to look better than decent, they will tell you something similar to that.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts.

Interview

Got called the day before the interview. Was only hired based on looks. Got bumped up to MT my first day. The other MT is very rude though. Wasn't asked any questions about work. They were willing to give me the same pay as my last employer though, which was $0.65 higher than everyone else there.

Store Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts in August 2013.

Interview

Was recruited via Indeed by area manager. Had interview next day. Area manager showed up in jeans, very unprofessional in my eyes. Interview consisted of her talking about everything she did in the store when she was store manager. It was all about her, very little about job. Had 2 follow up phone interviews with DM and then acting Regional Manager. Those were much more professional and about the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

The application was fairly typical of a retail job and the interview was the same. I think the face to face meeting was to make sure I was social more than anything else.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a quick sales pitch on leather care.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (Milwaukee, WI) in April 2013.

Interview

I was interviewed and hired on the spot

Interview Questions

Negotiation

ask for more moeny

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wilsons The Leather Experts (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

I just apply online and got a call few weeks later. Met with District Sales Manager at the location in need of store manager. The interview process was fairly easy asked simple questions about myself. Then she ranted and raved about how this store manager was poor performing and others in her district weren't doing well. I felt like I would be walking on eggshells if I would be working for her very unprofessional. I felt like over all interview went good as I have the experience and leadership to run the business. I had a phone interview with Corporate HR few days after really went well as she admired my experience. I emailed the District Manager her a thank you letter next day. Took over 2 weeks to hear back she reply to my email and said thanks but I will keep you in mind for the future. That's a kick to the heart I mean for one they couldn't pay me what I'm worth and 2nd they are looking for people they can micromanage I don't play that game. I have a lot to offer and great skills but I will keep looking. This company went threw bankruptcy and closed like 60% of it's stores not long ago and they aren't looking that good I heard more stores will close. Sales are down in the MidWest District so they will start closing them here if anything.

Interview Questions

• If your a Retail Manager you must know about KPI's your Category Department Sales like the back of your hand they want you to be a pro at this before hand which I was.. So just an insight what you will be asked for sure. Oh at the end of the interview they will make you try on coats like a little kid It was a waste of time I just wanted to get out of there. My whole visit I didn't see one customer walk in the store It was pretty dead.   Answer Question