Wind River Interview Questions

2.9

Engineering Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wind River in May 2013.

Applied online. Contacted by HR and prepped regarding process. Remote interviewed with hiring manager and then another employee in a peer position. Overall, a very organized and insightful company/staff.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Most of the conversation revolved around previous experience and the variety of tasks for this role which includes tech. support for sales, customer support and feedback for development and occasionally writing code.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wind River.

Very honest and straightforward. One round was only case study type questions. Otherwise it was all regular interview questions and tell ,e about a time when.... Type questions.

A light and fun process.

Interview Questions
    • are you happy with the current level of success of the company and why?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

friendly and straight forward process

Interview Questions
    • The role play I had was difficult in that I had to be familiar with what the company did and how to talk with a prospective customer.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wind River.

Casual, emphasized contract to hire. I was contacted 2 months after with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example of when you did something well and it went smoothly, and then provide and example of something well you did and it didn't go smoothly.   Answer Question
    non-negotiable, the budget for the position was pre-determined.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Wind River in March 2013.

Applied for position online. Was contacted within a week or so by a HR representative for a telephone interview. Spoke to HR for an hour or so. She suggested that I highlight a couple experiences on my resume through a couple changes. Followed the suggestions and sent a revised resume. Was contacted the following day to speak with the hiring manager (Manager of Finance) who was departing to take another role. Spoke to him for about thirty minutes. Received an invitation to interview at the office a week or so later. Went to in person interview and met with the VP, Director, 2 Managers and a Sr Manager all within Finance. It was about 4 hours of 1 on 1 interviews. The director was departing as well. The Manager was being filled by a contractor whom I didn't meet.

Everything was okay until this point. Then the company started to play games and string me along. The day after the interview HR emailed me to gauge my interest level in the process. Of course I said everything was okay. This was a Friday. The following Monday she emailed me stating the VP (who of course is the "decision maker") had a family emergency and would be out for maybe a week, possibly two or three.

Skeptical of course since most companies wont give more than 3 days for a death of a parent or spouse I said okay. Why couldn't he be reached via telephone or email in the interim. Ill take the situation at face value I thought. Plus the email included "I wanted you to know that we received positive feedback on you and hope that you feel positive about Wind River. ... Please know that as soon as we can move forward with this process, we will, and we hope that you will still be available and have interest at that time. Thank you for the investment of time and effort so far in this process." I was torn between thinking if they were using his absence as a ploy to buy more time since someone else probably already got and offer or if it was simply the situation. I had doubts based on past experiences as well as the fact that the email looked copied and pasted together with 3 different fronts for the message plus my name appeared copied from another message with yet another font. The email sounded sincere but appeared to be reused - like something they send to all back up candidates with a few different specifications... Plus I rechecked the career site and the position which was originally posted in December had been reposted the day of my interview

The following week, Monday I got additional feedback that a new recruiter was now managing the role and that she "Just wanted to reach out and let you know that we are still very interested." I thought it was very odd that the VP couldn't be reached via phone or email if they were that interested but since this time the HR contacted me via phone and email I thought that I could be wrong. The HR message were just FYI and didn't ask for me to respond. My intuition told me that an offer was probably already made to someone else within 48 hours of my day of interviews (most companies make a practice of this) but why all the follow up if they weren't serious. Common sense told me I was a back up candidate who was being played but HR seemed so convincing that they weren't being sly and shady. (Always listen to common sense). Intuition and gut feelings typically aren't wrong....

The following Monday HR left me a voicemail stating that they were still interested and that the VP should finally be back. They wanted to know if I was still interested and this time asked me to call back. I called back by EOB the same day and left a message. Didn't hear back. So Friday that week I called and left another VM. Didn't hear back. So the following Tuesday after two voicemails I decided to send an email simply asking if the VP had returned and if so what was the decision. The next day Wednesday HR finally admitted that the company went with another candidate. I could've accepted that news 3 weeks before. Be very careful. This company can drag out a process and will lead you on. Trust me that if a company considers you the number one candidate they will make you an offer within forty eight hours of your final interview. Its what all companies go by. I ignored my gut and allowed myself to be lied to and misled for too long. I don't believe the recruiters are function specific so if you are interviewing with Wind River be careful of this game that they play. Don't invest too much time and energy into their process. Definitely don't allow yourself to become emotionally invested in an opportunity with them. They will have you hanging on and keep you in contact until their 1st choice starts the position and then you'll be lucky if you can get a real answer as they'll start to ignore your calls by going AWOL ...

Interview Questions
    • What is your background?
      Why are you interested in working here?
      What other companies are you considering>
        Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Wind River in March 2012.

Typical sales interview, lead gen, exec meetings, goals etc. Lots of specific role plays, product demos and questions included in interview process. Study the website and you will be fine, they might give you a white paper to read and prepare a role play for. Starts with a recruiter phone interview, then manager phone interview, then manager role play, and then onsite interview with multiple managers.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate some on stock, start date, base salary.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wind River in February 2012.

Great.. Was easy, they followed up quickly and were very professional. Took time to explain all the benefits and I really felt Wind River was like a big family. I would recommend Wind River to any one

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Wind River in November 2011.

Initial HR Screening on Phone. After that four 1:1 Phone Interview which consisted a mix of technical and personal questions. Finally was invited for a half day on campus interview at the HQ and to meet the manager and the team.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on Semaphore, Mutex and C programming based on a scenario.   View Answer
    Always confirm the title of the position that you are being interviewed for. Just not for this company but for any other tech company as well.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Wind River in September 2011.

Started off with a phone interview with the hiring manager. Second round consisted of a series of group interviews with several individuals from the group and then the hiring manager. Third (and fourth) round was with the Chief Financial Officer. The questions were typical interview questions and nothing unusual. After numerous trips back to the Company's headquarters, they decided that they had a different profile for the person they wanted in this role (more presentation experience) and at the same time, the Company downgraded the position.

It didn't seem as if though this particular group had their ducks in a row. Very frustrating...

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about some of the accounting issues you worked on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alameda, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Wind River in April 2009.

Initial phone screen followed by an onsite interview

Interview Questions
    • Assume that you have two binary trees; write a function that parses both the trees at the same time and prints out the numbers (from both trees) in an ascending order. You shouldn't use any additional data structure other than the two binary trees given to you.   View Answer
    It is hard to bargain for salary at this company

Worked for Wind River? Contribute to the Community!