Windes & McClaughry

5 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tax Intern Interview

Long Beach, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Windes & McClaughry in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted via LinkedIn. This came out of the blue because while I had been actively recruiting for an internship position, I never considered applying prior to my graduation.

Essentially it was a fast process from that first contact. Within a week I was invited for an interview at main headquarters in Long Beach. Meanwhile, on a daily basis, I was either called or emailed. This 'special attention' definitely piqued my interest in the company.

The main office is located in downtown and the building is quite beautiful. The esthetics of the office were top-notch and would be a great place to call work. HR gave me the tour and definitely focused on the view of the water.

The first interview was with head of HR. This was a pleasant interview and focused more on my education, qualifications, availability, and typical HR issues.

The second interview was with a Tax partner. I felt she was a great example of someone that earned everything she has accomplished. She would make a great mentor. Her questions focus were broad in nature and were a more behavioral context. She did focus tremendously on my education, specifically to discern how my MST contrasts with her MST. The only other issue that stuck out at me was how she even seem to question why I was being interviewed for the tax internship. I wondered if maybe she thought I was meant to be interviewed for tax staff, or a totally different position! I asked her a lot of questions regarding her specialty and recommendations on what I should write for my Master's thesis. I walked away from that interview liking her.

The third interview was with the Tax Partner that originally contacted me on LinkedIn. He was pleasant and filled me in on why he selected me for this opportunity. It was this interview that it was clarified to me that the company traditionally does NOT have tax interns during fall busy season and that the summer interns were finishing up. I found this revelation odd, because then why was I called in? I asked him different ways to discern WHY was I called in and I inferred that if I was hired I would be like a test pilot for working fall busy season. ... Ultimately I really liked this partner. He is motivated about the future of the company and is committed to providing the best service to clients.

The fourth interview was with the senior manager. He appeared more confrontational and brash. He really focused in on the fact I went straight to graduate school after my undergraduate. He asked some very standard behavioral questions with a touch of sarcasm. He even asked me a corny behavioral question with the disclosure that he was making it up as he went along. A few times he cut me off as I spoke, and I just tried to not focus on the way this interview rapidly turned negative. The most shocking part of the interview was when his phone rang, he interrupted me to answer it. Turns out it was a personal call and NOT AN EXCUSABLE WORK-RELATED CALL. He hung up and gave me some lie about why he needed to answer it. I walked out of this last interview feeling humiliated, judged, and a total lack of respect.

Less than 24 hours I received a friendly call from the head of HR explaining that I did not get the position because they chose to go with a more qualified candidate. (Side note- I asked all 3 Tax personnel how many people were interviewed and I was told I am the only one they have interviewed for this position.)

Ultimately, I was RELIEVED I didn't receive an offer because of my interaction with the last manager. If it wasn't for that manager I would have applied, AS I ORIGINALLY PLANNED, after I graduated for a full-time tax staff position, but now I am not going to if that manager is still employed there.

Interview Question – Why Windes?   Answer Question

Tax Senior Interview

Long Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Windes & McClaughry in November 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the Tax Partner and two Tax Managers. The office is located next to The Pike in Long Beach, and it has a beautiful view. The people I interviewed with are super nice and friendly. The HR manager was very helpful in answering all of my questions as well. The entire interview process was a very enjoyable process because it is a very close-knitt, family-oriented work environment.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It was a far away from my home.

Tax Staff Accountant Interview

Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Windes & McClaughry in July 2010.

Interview Details – I participated in three one-on-one interviews. First, a manager introduced me to the firm's history, structure, benefits, and work processes. He then asked a series of questions aimed at ascertaining the level of my technical knowledge. Second, a senior manager took a broader look at my resume and asked questions aimed at getting an overall impression of my qualifications and abilities. Third, the tax partner asked bigger questions about my dedication to graduate education, interests, goals, and career aspirations. Overall, it was a nicely structured and positive experience.

Interview Questions

Staff Audit Interview

Long Beach, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Windes & McClaughry in August 2010.

Interview Details – Basic questions, asked about the items on my resume. Met with 3 people and got tour of the facilities

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   View Answer

CPA Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Windes & McClaughry in January 2009.

Interview Details – easy process

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – easy

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Windes & McClaughry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Windes & McClaughry interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Windes & McClaughry employees and interview candidates.