Winners Allocation Analyst Interview Questions

3.6

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Winners in May 2012.

Initial phone interview with a recruiter lasted about 5 minutes and scheduled a second phone interview with another recruiter this was a 30 minute interview with general interview questions like why would you be a good fit for this job? etc. as well as a scenario where I was given a certain number of designer umbrellas to allocate to a particular region. At the end of the phone interview I was scheduled for an in person interview at the head office with a senior recruiter. The one on one interview was a great experience and i felt very confident at the end they asked a few behavioural questions but focused primarily on my resume and how I would fit in with the corporation. I was they scheduled for a panel interview with 2 senior buyers. This was a terrible experience these two buyers fired off questions at me for about an hour with absolutely no feedback on my answers and the questions we all behavioural and ridiculous. I didn't get the job and when they called me to let me know they provided no feeback on how i could improve. The whole experience took about a month and was very unsettling.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time you had to use common sense at work.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Winners

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Winners.

Three rounds of interviews. 5-6 hours total interviewing. 1st interview to last interview spanned nearly 2 months.

1st round was with a 3rd party company in the United States. One hour in length on phone. Mainly behavioral types of questions. 2nd round was with HR in person. Asked almost identical questions to the 1st round. 3rd round was with various colleagues in the company including current allocation analyst, buyer, and reporting managers; two separate sets of interview on same day.

I don't remember if it was at the 2nd or 3rd round, but there was also a Microsoft Excel test, a math test, and written case study.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Winners.

1 hour allocation test on wallets, and where to allocate
    interview with associate planner
    interview with 4 planning mnagers

all in one day! pretty intense

Interview Questions
    • behaviour based questions. need specific examples.
      questions on the test given,

tell me about a time where you overcame a difficult situation
        Answer Question
    nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Winners in May 2012.

1) applied on-line and was called by the nicest and friendliest interviewer ever!! they questions are really simple that ask about off price retailing, what features of excel you use (v lookup and pivot tables), how you plan? why you applied about this position/ what you know about winners? very standard questions relating to the company. Then you get feedback from the phone interview which is very simple and just you got to ask questions to the HR

2) I got called in for a 1:1 interview with the recruiter of Hr at the corporate office within a week. I aced the interview because they ask you about off price retailing, leadership examples, how you motivate yourself, how you work in a team, how you read and interpret data, more questions about knowledge of the company.

I was offered an interview on the spot for the week after with the management team.

3) The excel and personality test are not hard. The drake 3 performance test is just a bunch of generic personality questions from 1-5 that rate your qualities about being team oriented, leader, humble, honest, blah blah blah. The excel test is either really easy or some questions make you think. I have been using excel for 7 years and some questions I had to Google. No time limit on it but try to get around 30-32/35 which I did.

4) I then had the final interview with the management team. They made me wait in the room for 12-15 minutes on my own before being introduced to the other person. I found out that it was a bad start from the beginning. I was asked an allocation question of 250 valentine days cards, how I handle conflict with my manager, where I will be in 5 years (this question is a trap say you want to work for winners but you want to be successful but help the business grow), Ever a time you had to compromise?, how off price retail is different then department stores? a time you had to make a risky decision, the outcome of it? The managers are hit or miss you really have to ask them a bunch of questions about the day to day responsibilities and how PASE works.

Overall I had to wait a week and if they don't call you within 3-4 business days don't waste you time. I had all the outstanding qualities they want but if you are more focused on future positions or asking about the process going forward its hard. The hiring ratio was 20 girls to 3 guys for allocation analyst. Therefore as a guy I was already at a disadvantage. The company says they want to promote quickly but when you express that they do not want that said.

Focus on how you embrace feedback, focus on how you give positive feedback, you put the team ahead of your views for company success. The interview process is really easy because its a entry level position but when you follow up after the final interview if your phone doesn't ring in 4 days count yourself out.

Interview Questions
    • how would you allocate 250 valentines day cards?   View Answer
    • Name a time you had to make a compromise and the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Winners in May 2012.

Firstly, I was called by a recruiter in Florida who was really easy to talk to. After speaking with her she said I was going to be meeting with a senior HR recruiter at head office. The 1:1 Interview consisted a lot of situational questions, but overall a very relaxed interview environment. At the end of speaking with her she told me she wanted me to come back the following week to meet with two managers. She also send me an email that contained an excel test and a personality test. The interview with the managers was a harder interview as they didn't offer any feedback during or after the interview. The next week I was contacted with an offer. Overall a really smooth interview process and dealing with everyone was a pleasure.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you didn't meet a deadline and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I felt it was a good solid offer

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Winners in June 2011.

The process began with a phone call the day after my online submission. The recruiter was extremely friendly & cordial. At the end of the call she gave me an allocation question to be answered by email asap.
    No more than a week later she called again to advise I got a 2nd interview. This was 1:1 & consisted of 2 skills tests. It was about 2hrs in total. The 2nd recruiter was also very friendly & quite encouraging throughout the interview. She advised on the stop that I’d made it to the third round & was to complete an online behavioral assessment before the interview date. The third interview was the hardest. I met with 5 people in total after completing yet another hr long test. Both my references were called, but in the end I wasn’t offered the job. In all although a stressful it was a fairly pleasant experience. The people seemed friendly enough (it was an interview process after all) Being Winners there was definitely a sense of style in the air & to this day I still believe it would have been a great fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a conflict you had with a co-worker, how did you resolve it & how did it make you feel?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Winners in April 2012.

Phone interview asking through behaviour questions and background then one question about distribution of umbrella and asking if I have advance Excel skills, knowing Vlookup function etc

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the time when you show leadership.   Answer Question
    • If you have to distribute 100 umbrellas, where in Canada would you distribute it and what else you would like to consider in making decisions?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Winners in November 2011.

There was a phone interview, then a set of online tests ( excel, personality test), and then a group interview. Personality test was eerily accurate. Overall it was a well-designed interview process. It seems the phone interview was meant to be a screening before the in-person.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your level of efficiency with excel. What features have you used?   View Answer

Issues with timing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Winners in November 2011.

I applied online and a few weeks later, an outsourced recruiter (US-based) contacted me to schedule for a phone interview. It lasted for about 45 minutes. The lady on the other line was very nice and patient. She also gave me tips at the end on how to improve my interview answers. The next day, she told me that I was moving on to the next stage, which was a 1:1 interview with a Winner HR rep. This was scheduled 2 weeks after the phone interview. I don't know why, but I wasn't complaining because I had more time to prep myself for the next stage.

The 1:1 interview at Winners head office lasted for about 1 hour. The HR rep seemed nice & agree to most of my answers. That made me feel quite confident about my performance and my chance to get to the next stage. The interview was on Friday and she told me that she would let me know by Monday about the result. I waited for over 2 weeks without any correspondence from her. I sent her 2 emails and she never replied. A month later, she told me that I didn't make it to the next round (OBVIOUSLY!) and that she would keep my resume in records for future merchandising positions.

Of course I was disappointed that I didn't get to the next stage, but I was more disappointed at the lack of communication from the HR team. If they're not going to go forward with one application, why let that person wait in agony? So if you're currently waiting for a decision from them and you've been waiting for more than a week, I'd say that you better forget about it and move on. If they liked someone, they would contact that person immediately (within 2-3 days).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to analyze data and make a suggestion, what's the result?   Answer Question
    • What are the current challenges in the retail industry?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep yourself up-to-date with the current fashion trends?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Winners in March 2012.

Phone interview: exactly the same questions as listed on this site. Recruiter was outsourced out of Florida and very friendly. Basic allocation problem regarding distributing umbrellas.

In person interview: again, very friendly senior talent acquisition representative. Very similar questions to the ones in the phone interview. Got more into their business model and challenges that retail is currently facing. More involved in the career path and training program. Another allocation question regarding outdoor entertaining cookbooks with Martha Stewart on the cover in October/November.

That is as far as I got before being declined. I know there is a panel interview and other things after this.

To be honest, I am pretty surprised that I didn't get an offer. I had a lot of prep work done for my interview, felt I developed a good relationship with the interviewer and felt that I answered their questions really well. I can't point to anything that did "wrong" and was not offered any specific feedback when asked. I can only assume that this is a very competitive position and they have very specific wants and accept only those individuals.

Despite the initial disappointment at not receiving an offer (I got the call today), it was a very positive experience, just don't get to excited until there is an offer in hand.

Interview Questions
    • A question regarding your abilities to lead and motivate a team in the initial phone interview.   Answer Question
    • A question regarding the various challenges in the retail industry in the in person interview.   Answer Question
    • A question regarding their business model and how they are able to offer such great deals on their products in the in person interview.   Answer Question

Worked for Winners? Contribute to the Community!