Winners Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.2

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

P/T Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Winners.

I applied in person, filled out the application and dropped off resume. The process took almost 2 months.One of the store managers set up the interview for the next day. Interviewed at Winners- 40 minutes long.The interviewer told me she will check my original reference letter and will follow up with me next week. No one called me, so 2 weeks after the interview I gave a call, the interviewer didn't work that day, so I left a message with the CSR. After I have explained my situation, she told me they aren't hiring and hang up on me. Again, no call!After 2 weeks, I called again, because I was confused and I needed my original reference letter, the interviewer finally answered and told me "she was in the middle of smth and if I want I can come and get it" and that she'll give me a call later that day!No call! Went in person to take my original reference letter because I needed it to apply for another job.
    I didn't expect this attitude because the standard interview indicated a professional and smooth hiring. Very frustrated and disappointed.Wasted my time and energy.

Store Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Winners in February 2014.

Applied online. Not sure how long after, but I got a call back for an interview. Received a response a week after, give or take a few days. After that, they had me come in to sign off on a bunch of papers.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a line of people who all required your attention at the same time, how would you handle that?   Answer Question
    • What was one time where you had deadlines and how did you meet them?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time when you had a conflict with someone, whether it be at school or at work.   Answer Question
    None.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Winners.

1 hour allocation test on wallets, and where to allocate
    interview with associate planner
    interview with 4 planning mnagers

all in one day! pretty intense

Interview Questions
    • behaviour based questions. need specific examples.
      questions on the test given,

tell me about a time where you overcame a difficult situation
        Answer Question
    nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Winners in May 2012.

1) applied on-line and was called by the nicest and friendliest interviewer ever!! they questions are really simple that ask about off price retailing, what features of excel you use (v lookup and pivot tables), how you plan? why you applied about this position/ what you know about winners? very standard questions relating to the company. Then you get feedback from the phone interview which is very simple and just you got to ask questions to the HR

2) I got called in for a 1:1 interview with the recruiter of Hr at the corporate office within a week. I aced the interview because they ask you about off price retailing, leadership examples, how you motivate yourself, how you work in a team, how you read and interpret data, more questions about knowledge of the company.

I was offered an interview on the spot for the week after with the management team.

3) The excel and personality test are not hard. The drake 3 performance test is just a bunch of generic personality questions from 1-5 that rate your qualities about being team oriented, leader, humble, honest, blah blah blah. The excel test is either really easy or some questions make you think. I have been using excel for 7 years and some questions I had to Google. No time limit on it but try to get around 30-32/35 which I did.

4) I then had the final interview with the management team. They made me wait in the room for 12-15 minutes on my own before being introduced to the other person. I found out that it was a bad start from the beginning. I was asked an allocation question of 250 valentine days cards, how I handle conflict with my manager, where I will be in 5 years (this question is a trap say you want to work for winners but you want to be successful but help the business grow), Ever a time you had to compromise?, how off price retail is different then department stores? a time you had to make a risky decision, the outcome of it? The managers are hit or miss you really have to ask them a bunch of questions about the day to day responsibilities and how PASE works.

Overall I had to wait a week and if they don't call you within 3-4 business days don't waste you time. I had all the outstanding qualities they want but if you are more focused on future positions or asking about the process going forward its hard. The hiring ratio was 20 girls to 3 guys for allocation analyst. Therefore as a guy I was already at a disadvantage. The company says they want to promote quickly but when you express that they do not want that said.

Focus on how you embrace feedback, focus on how you give positive feedback, you put the team ahead of your views for company success. The interview process is really easy because its a entry level position but when you follow up after the final interview if your phone doesn't ring in 4 days count yourself out.

Interview Questions
    • how would you allocate 250 valentines day cards?   View Answer
    • Name a time you had to make a compromise and the outcome   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Winners in May 2012.

Firstly, I was called by a recruiter in Florida who was really easy to talk to. After speaking with her she said I was going to be meeting with a senior HR recruiter at head office. The 1:1 Interview consisted a lot of situational questions, but overall a very relaxed interview environment. At the end of speaking with her she told me she wanted me to come back the following week to meet with two managers. She also send me an email that contained an excel test and a personality test. The interview with the managers was a harder interview as they didn't offer any feedback during or after the interview. The next week I was contacted with an offer. Overall a really smooth interview process and dealing with everyone was a pleasure.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you didn't meet a deadline and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. I felt it was a good solid offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Winners in April 2012.

Phone interview asking through behaviour questions and background then one question about distribution of umbrella and asking if I have advance Excel skills, knowing Vlookup function etc

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the time when you show leadership.   Answer Question
    • If you have to distribute 100 umbrellas, where in Canada would you distribute it and what else you would like to consider in making decisions?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Winners in November 2011.

So a manager had called and asked me to come for a scheduled interview. It only took less than a week for them to call after I had handed in my resume. When I handed in my resume, I had a meet and greet with a manager and he had asked some questions about my availability, if I live close, how long does it take me to get there and also let me know that they usually leave an hour after the store closes and if I was okay with that, to which I obviously replied 'Yes' because I needed the job. Then I filled out an application and the rest was in their hands.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your work history and what were your wages if you don't mind me asking?   View Answer
    • Tell me a time when you had a difficult customer   View Answer
    • What if there was a new policy, would you go about it in your own way? Why?   View Answer
    • If there was a safety hazard what would you do?   View Answer
    • If you were a leader and so and so came up to you telling you you did something wrong what would you do?   View Answer
    No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Winners in November 2011.

I applied online and a few weeks later, an outsourced recruiter (US-based) contacted me to schedule for a phone interview. It lasted for about 45 minutes. The lady on the other line was very nice and patient. She also gave me tips at the end on how to improve my interview answers. The next day, she told me that I was moving on to the next stage, which was a 1:1 interview with a Winner HR rep. This was scheduled 2 weeks after the phone interview. I don't know why, but I wasn't complaining because I had more time to prep myself for the next stage.

The 1:1 interview at Winners head office lasted for about 1 hour. The HR rep seemed nice & agree to most of my answers. That made me feel quite confident about my performance and my chance to get to the next stage. The interview was on Friday and she told me that she would let me know by Monday about the result. I waited for over 2 weeks without any correspondence from her. I sent her 2 emails and she never replied. A month later, she told me that I didn't make it to the next round (OBVIOUSLY!) and that she would keep my resume in records for future merchandising positions.

Of course I was disappointed that I didn't get to the next stage, but I was more disappointed at the lack of communication from the HR team. If they're not going to go forward with one application, why let that person wait in agony? So if you're currently waiting for a decision from them and you've been waiting for more than a week, I'd say that you better forget about it and move on. If they liked someone, they would contact that person immediately (within 2-3 days).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to analyze data and make a suggestion, what's the result?   Answer Question
    • What are the current challenges in the retail industry?   Answer Question
    • How do you keep yourself up-to-date with the current fashion trends?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Winners in November 2011.

There was a phone interview, then a set of online tests ( excel, personality test), and then a group interview. Personality test was eerily accurate. Overall it was a well-designed interview process. It seems the phone interview was meant to be a screening before the in-person.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your level of efficiency with excel. What features have you used?   View Answer

Issues with timing.

Merchandise Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Winners in October 2011.

I received a phone call for the interview about two weeks after I submitted my online application, which was to arrange for a half-hour phone interview which consisted of basic questions and a run-through of my work experience. Was also asked questions about why I chose the company, what I expected to do in the position, and what my current position entailed.

Afterwards, I was sent an online test to my email and took 15 minutes.

We then arranged for my first in-person interview at the head office location, which lasted about one hour and was conducted by an HR representative. The interview went smoothly, with a lot of scenario/behavioural questions ("describe a time when..."), along with salary expectations, and there was room for questions at the end.

Next, a second interview was arranged at the head office, and lasted about an hour with two managerial-level representatives. The interview questions were almost exactly identical and a little repetitive. Overall, the interview process was very lengthy and thorough, but as a result it works to find the best-fit candidate for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question