Wireless Generation, Inc.

www.wirelessgeneration.com

Wireless Generation, Inc. Interview Questions

3.1

Technical Product Owner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Know agile well. Actual example of using agile for software development very useful

Software Developer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Started with a quick HR interview to determine the best option of two positions I applied to. Then a phone screen with a Senior Developer. Covered the usual stuff - OO design, Java questions, algos. Very open-minded interviewer, looking more for how I thought than what minutiae I had memorized. After that there was a take-home coding exercise while they scheduled my on-site. Scheduling the on-site took forever and was very disorganized. My on-site day was similarly disorganized. Interviewers didn't show up or were swapped for other interviewers, and HR had to kill time by giving me a tour of the offices. The interview day started off with an OO design exercise, then a troubleshooting exercise, and finally an algos exercise. From there, it took many weeks to get an offer, even though I was repeatedly promised quick updates.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that takes in a pattern string and an input string. The pattern string only has to handle lower case letters and a specific regex symbol. Return true if the input matches the pattern.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

From start to finish, process took about 2 weeks once recruiter reached out, but it took them well over a month to respond to my online application. There was an initial HR phone screen, 30 minute phone interview with department head, in-person panel interview with presentation followed by 2-on-1 conversations with 6 staffers.

Interview Questions
    • What design books would you recommend to a person just starting out in the field?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in April 2013.

step1: 30 minutes tech interview on call
    step2: 1 task sent by email

Interview Questions
    • the offline task lets you write some script to implement some function, it took me over 5 hours to solve it.   Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

I meet with a few people and it seemed to go fine. After the interview I checked Glassdoor for reviews and was shocked to find so many negative comments about the individual that runs the HR department. I connected with a few previous Recruiters on LinkedIn and after hearing how poorly she treats the Recruitment team I pulled myself out of consideration. I don't want to write what I was told but I do suggest anyone considering a job in recruiting to do what I did, it might save you from making a bad decision.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in October 2012.

There was a pre-screen followed by an in-persion interview. The whole process actually worked as a recruitment tool since the people they had interviewing me were bright and it was obvious they took the process seriously. Work-life balance was something that was mentioned by each of the interviewers and it seemed obvious to me they weren't just giving lip service to the concept but that it was a shared value.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in August 2012.

Applied online. Setup a phone interview with a person in a similar position. Was asked to work on a coding problem after which I answered some questions about OO programing.

About a week later have a 2.5 hour on-site interview with a developer from the team, an architect and the director of engineering. First up I was asked to write a pattern matching routine. The next big task was designing a storage service. The last part was less technical and more focused on management topics.

Interview Questions
    • The question I had the more trouble with was about designing a storage service. It wasn't clear to me until late into the time I had what was really being asked so I wasn't able to get very far.

I was asked to design a system that could be used by many different applications to READ/WRITE/LIST/DELETE/STATUS files. That was all the description so you need to decide on everything else.
        Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in March 2012.

Submitted my resume through a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview immediately. The interview lasted for 1 hour. Started off with general question - "Tell me about yourself" and then Moved on to theoretical questions in java and OOP concepts. This last for about 1/2 hour or so and then was given a programming questions to solve.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function that takes a price and returns the minimum set of coins that add up to that amount.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in February 2012.

-Phone interview where they asked some general tech questions, questions about projects I was working on, and did a Collabnet coding problem.
    -1:1 was 3 hours in their office, 1 hour each with 1 guy. First was ok - asked to design/architect some kind of storage solution, which seemed odd as I was interview for a software position, not systems. Second was awful. Guy needed a bath (not good in a small room), and asked a bunch of college-level questions like making you implement data structures on the whiteboard, rather than how to apply them. Definitely brush up on how to implement things like Lists, Maps, etc. Third was a management-type.

The place is very young - only been around maybe 9-12 months and they like cutting-edge university mentality types. Applied, long term corporate software folks will not do very well.

Open environment, no cubes, just long tables and a loft atmosphere. Agile, pair-programming approach. Tobacco Road campus so traffic/parking could be an issue.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were very theoretical - how to implement linked lists, sets, hash maps, etc.   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in January 2012.

Phone interview then which is most of the basic questions such as spellcheck, then an in person interview where you meet like 5 different members of the team. Each person asks a problem solving question. Maybe, they should just see some samples of some of the work that you have done instead of asking theoretical questions.