Wireless Generation, Inc.

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in January 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview then which is most of the basic questions such as spellcheck, then an in person interview where you meet like 5 different members of the team. Each person asks a problem solving question. Maybe, they should just see some samples of some of the work that you have done instead of asking theoretical questions.

Interview Question – GPS   Answer Question

Technical Product Owner Interview

Technical Product Owner

I applied online and interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Interview Details – Know agile well. Actual example of using agile for software development very useful

Interview Question – Question about negotiating resources   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in April 2013.

Interview Details – step1: 30 minutes tech interview on call
step2: 1 task sent by email

Interview Question – the offline task lets you write some script to implement some function, it took me over 5 hours to solve it.   Answer Question

Software Developer II Interview

Software Developer II

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Interview Details – Started with a quick HR interview to determine the best option of two positions I applied to. Then a phone screen with a Senior Developer. Covered the usual stuff - OO design, Java questions, algos. Very open-minded interviewer, looking more for how I thought than what minutiae I had memorized. After that there was a take-home coding exercise while they scheduled my on-site. Scheduling the on-site took forever and was very disorganized. My on-site day was similarly disorganized. Interviewers didn't show up or were swapped for other interviewers, and HR had to kill time by giving me a tour of the offices. The interview day started off with an OO design exercise, then a troubleshooting exercise, and finally an algos exercise. From there, it took many weeks to get an offer, even though I was repeatedly promised quick updates.

Interview Question – Write a function that takes in a pattern string and an input string. The pattern string only has to handle lower case letters and a specific regex symbol. Return true if the input matches the pattern.   Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Product Designer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Interview Details – From start to finish, process took about 2 weeks once recruiter reached out, but it took them well over a month to respond to my online application. There was an initial HR phone screen, 30 minute phone interview with department head, in-person panel interview with presentation followed by 2-on-1 conversations with 6 staffers.

Interview Question – What design books would you recommend to a person just starting out in the field?   Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Recruitment
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

Interview Details – I meet with a few people and it seemed to go fine. After the interview I checked Glassdoor for reviews and was shocked to find so many negative comments about the individual that runs the HR department. I connected with a few previous Recruiters on LinkedIn and after hearing how poorly she treats the Recruitment team I pulled myself out of consideration. I don't want to write what I was told but I do suggest anyone considering a job in recruiting to do what I did, it might save you from making a bad decision.

Interview Question – Asked me about being micromanaged   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Senior Software Developer
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in October 2012.

Interview Details – There was a pre-screen followed by an in-persion interview. The whole process actually worked as a recruitment tool since the people they had interviewing me were bright and it was obvious they took the process seriously. Work-life balance was something that was mentioned by each of the interviewers and it seemed obvious to me they weren't just giving lip service to the concept but that it was a shared value.

Interview Question – For me the design question was the most challenging.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Durham, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online. Setup a phone interview with a person in a similar position. Was asked to work on a coding problem after which I answered some questions about OO programing.

About a week later have a 2.5 hour on-site interview with a developer from the team, an architect and the director of engineering. First up I was asked to write a pattern matching routine. The next big task was designing a storage service. The last part was less technical and more focused on management topics.

Interview Question – The question I had the more trouble with was about designing a storage service. It wasn't clear to me until late into the time I had what was really being asked so I wasn't able to get very far.

I was asked to design a system that could be used by many different applications to READ/WRITE/LIST/DELETE/STATUS files. That was all the description so you need to decide on everything else.
  Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Durham, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in February 2012.

Interview Details – -Phone interview where they asked some general tech questions, questions about projects I was working on, and did a Collabnet coding problem.
-1:1 was 3 hours in their office, 1 hour each with 1 guy. First was ok - asked to design/architect some kind of storage solution, which seemed odd as I was interview for a software position, not systems. Second was awful. Guy needed a bath (not good in a small room), and asked a bunch of college-level questions like making you implement data structures on the whiteboard, rather than how to apply them. Definitely brush up on how to implement things like Lists, Maps, etc. Third was a management-type.

The place is very young - only been around maybe 9-12 months and they like cutting-edge university mentality types. Applied, long term corporate software folks will not do very well.

Open environment, no cubes, just long tables and a loft atmosphere. Agile, pair-programming approach. Tobacco Road campus so traffic/parking could be an issue.

Interview Question – Interview questions were very theoretical - how to implement linked lists, sets, hash maps, etc.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process with WiGen included one round of phone interview and later I was called for a 1-1 onsite interview. Prepare strong on algo/problem solving also on design patterns. I got called by recruiter for this, the interviews are mostly technical and problem solving.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic interview was easy,
    1. difference between list, array and set
    2. problem solving intersecting sets ex: {4, 5 }, { 2, 3}, {6, 9} => {2,5}, {6,9}
    3. design a web based spell checker.
      Answer Question
  • Onsite interview was set for late in the afternoon... First interview was on design concept... was asked to design a text based game. Initial idea was to design a basic game but later when things started to roll it became interesting (had to use design concepts and MVC patterns). The second interview the tough, I was asked to write algo (proper java/C++ code) to identify move pattern for a chess board game. This was a bit tricky, and to writing a code on a white board is not an easy task.   Answer Question

Worked for Wireless Generation, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!