Wireless Generation, Inc.

3.1

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc..

I meet with a few people and it seemed to go fine. After the interview I checked Glassdoor for reviews and was shocked to find so many negative comments about the individual that runs the HR department. I connected with a few previous Recruiters on LinkedIn and after hearing how poorly she treats the Recruitment team I pulled myself out of consideration. I don't want to write what I was told but I do suggest anyone considering a job in recruiting to do what I did, it might save you from making a bad decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in October 2012.

There was a pre-screen followed by an in-persion interview. The whole process actually worked as a recruitment tool since the people they had interviewing me were bright and it was obvious they took the process seriously. Work-life balance was something that was mentioned by each of the interviewers and it seemed obvious to me they weren't just giving lip service to the concept but that it was a shared value.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in January 2012.

Phone interview then which is most of the basic questions such as spellcheck, then an in person interview where you meet like 5 different members of the team. Each person asks a problem solving question. Maybe, they should just see some samples of some of the work that you have done instead of asking theoretical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in December 2011.

Interview process with WiGen included one round of phone interview and later I was called for a 1-1 onsite interview. Prepare strong on algo/problem solving also on design patterns. I got called by recruiter for this, the interviews are mostly technical and problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Telephonic interview was easy,
      1. difference between list, array and set
      2. problem solving intersecting sets ex: {4, 5 }, { 2, 3}, {6, 9} => {2,5}, {6,9}
      3. design a web based spell checker.

Answer Question
    • Onsite interview was set for late in the afternoon... First interview was on design concept... was asked to design a text based game. Initial idea was to design a basic game but later when things started to roll it became interesting (had to use design concepts and MVC patterns). The second interview the tough, I was asked to write algo (proper java/C++ code) to identify move pattern for a chess board game. This was a bit tricky, and to writing a code on a white board is not an easy task.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in September 2011.

A technical recruiter at a staffing firm made first contact via email, which included a brief job description. A few additional emails were exchanged to further describe the position and to setup a phone discussion. A phone interview was then arranged with HR at WiGen. This was a brief discussion that included a simple 10 question technical quiz, which is meant to weed out people who aren't even close to be qualified.

Next came a phone interview with the hiring manager. This discussion was a two-way exchange of information. The manager asked questions about my background and experience and I was able to ask about the company and position.

The final stage involved traveling to the company for an in-person interview. The recruitment firm requested a meeting prior to the interview. This meeting was somewhat of a stress test as they asked a lot of in-depth technical questions. The actual interview at WiGen was much more pleasurable. It was the best interview I've ever experienced. It was more of a conversation and I felt completely at home. The hiring manager first asked me to write a couple of scripts to parse some XML data. Then I had to analyze some server performance charts generated from their actual monitoring system. One of the Unix Admins was then brought in to ask some additional technical questions. I was then given a chance to meet some of the other employees when the hiring manager took us to lunch. I had an offer two days later. Overall this was a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Write a script to parse N data from files X, Y, and Z in directories A, B, and C.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a slightly better salary, but the initial offer was fair. My advice for others would be to verify what other companies are paying for similar roles and use that information to base your negotiations. Also be sure to reiterate how you can go above and beyond the responsibilities of the position based on the job description.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in July 2011.

Interview consisted of a coding exercise and various questions on patterns. Finally I was asked how I would break down a spell check service into sub modules and direct the work of other developers.

I felt the feedback provided after the interview was substandard. I was told that I didn't have enough 'runtime' experience and that my definition of 'loose coupling' didn't match their definition.

Not sure what is meant by 'runtime' experience. My definition of 'loose coupling' was, I thought, quite brilliant.

After asking for code samples, and an hour on the phone, I would appreciate more substantial feedback. This seemed all rather vague based the time I spent with them. Would I work there?

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in March 2011.

I applied it thru compus career website. I got a call from HR a few days later.
    One general HR interview about 10min, after that the technical interview was given after 3 days.
    The technical interview consists of three question.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Basic Data structure and Java question (comparing HashMap, List, and Set; difference between passing by value and reference)   Answer Question
    • 2. Algorithm question (given two lists of arrays, check whether the first string can be generated by characters in the second string)   View Answers (2)
    • 3. Class design (spellchecker) and how would you divide the jobs to several developer?   Answer Question

A Recruitment Role, Exact Seniority of Which Was Undetermined Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

The process took a weekinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in March 2011.

Introduction was made by a headhunter who described the role somewhat differently than was the actual case. Following that conversation, I was put in touch with the head of HR who did a phone interview. Following that, another phone interview was held with the head of recruitment. A face to face interview was scheduled which consisted of meeting with those two folks plus two staff recruiters (those two were at the same time). The visit took under 2.5 hrs. The topics were more about creative tactics used in previous firms rather than recruitment skills. Some discussions were about technical knowledge, but mostly only about their tech stack, not general knowledge.

Overall I think the company has a noble product but my general impression based on all the conversations was the department needs serious work especially at the very top. There seems to be little vision, only scrambling to try to meet heavy hiring goals.

When departing the interview, an agreed upon date for follow up was made. Since then there's been no word back even though I followed up with several of those met with. Unfortunately that's all too common but only reinforces the poor impression of their HR department.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in February 2011.

I first got a phone interview with someone from the development team asking technical questions. Some of the questions were about the difference between JDK and JVM, arrays,pass by reference or pointer. I was called in a week later for an in person interview. The interview lasted about 3 hours and consisted of 5 person doing the interview in a linear fashion. They gave an SQL test, it was about 5 questions total, nothing hard. They ask about your test experience. It did seem like a nice place to work and the culture seem laid back.

Interview Questions
    • Can you instruct someone how to find the way leading to the lobby   View Answer
    • How you you test a TV?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Wireless Generation, Inc. in January 2011.

A phone interview which consisted mainly of C++ questions and some problem-solving. About an hour long, moderate difficulty.

A very lengthy coding project was set, which took a lot of time to do properly (as most things done properly do). Upon submitting it, they took several weeks to even respond. I should have heeded the signs...

Finally I got called in for a 3 hour in-person interview, which I felt (judging by their reactions to me) went pretty well. The people were nice and the tasks interesting. All good. I was told I'd hear within 3 days at the very latest.

All the WGen contacts subsequently studiously and deliberately ignored my emails. Pretty disgraceful behaviour towards someone who's put a lot of time into the process. I'm very glad I didn't end up working for them, if this is indicative of their culture.

Interview Questions
    • design a system for museums that helps visitors enjoy the exhibits. Had to think about location-awareness, routing algorithms, data structures, file formats.   Answer Question
    • write code that implements a whitespace regex matcher in C++/Java   Answer Question