Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Updated May 21, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Civil Engineer-Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation (Waukesha, WI).

Interview

I applied online at their website and received an email that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. The interview was a panel interview and extremely awkward and weird. They send you the list of questions they are going to ask you ten minutes before through email. I didn't receive them until about 2 minutes before which made me extremely flustered and threw me off. A panel of about 4 people then calls you and asks you the exact questions but they do not follow up or ask you to expand. It is just a question and answer session which lasted about 20 minutes. It was extremely awkward and I did not like it. They then took about a month to review everything and finally offered me a job.

Interview Questions

• You have to nail the questions on one try pretty much. They don't converse with you at all so you kind of feel like you're just rambling.   Answer Question

They made a competitive offer working on a unique project but I ultimately went with a different position that paid more.

Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation (Madison, WI) in March 2013.

Interview

Applied online, followed up with the HR rep assigned to the department, about a month after submitting my application heard back from the HR rep and had a brief phone interview, and then scheduled an in-person interview at the Hill Farms State Office Building. When I arrived that day, I checked in with HR, waited briefly, then a senior HR staff member took me into a room and gave me a set of questions to prep with, and gave me 15 mins for prep. They provided paper to make notes on while preparing, but I was not allowed to take that note sheet along with me into the interview room. When 15 minutes prep time was up, the HR rep took me to the interview room, where I interviewed with the 2 section chiefs from the real estate section, along with another high-ranking employee. The questions they asked matched well with what I had been given for preparation, and they were very easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• What are your strongest communication skills? Describe a scenario where you put these communication skills to use.   1 Answer
    • Describe a conflict you had with a coworker or peer recently and tell us how you solved it.   1 Answer

Group Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation (Madison, WI) in December 2009.

Interview

The process was unusual. They had candidates arrive 15 min before the actual interview and during that time, candidates were given the list of questions they would be asked during the interview. Candidates could take notes on the questions and refer to the notes during the actual interview. The actual interview was limited to 60 min. and conducted by two staff. One was the hiring manager and the other a member of the team with the opening. They did allow the candidate to ask questions after the formal Q&A. After answering a question, there was no follow-up from the interviewers and no further attempt to clarify or expand on what was said. Normally, I think of an interview as a conversation between the parties, but this didn't have that sense. Likely they do this to avoid issues about how one candidate was interviewed vs another. It is fair, in that sense, but I don't know if it serves the organization or the candidates well by shutting off the chance for each to learn more about the other.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would optimize the performance of an application   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would train a newly hired, novice programmer.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation in October 2010.

Interview

It was an HR interview, asking me about the team work spirit and other knowledge.
    They introduce their team and their work environment to me, and describe the job requirement.