Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wisconsin Department of Transportation

Civil Engineer-Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation.

I applied online at their website and received an email that they wanted to schedule a phone interview. The interview was a panel interview and extremely awkward and weird. They send you the list of questions they are going to ask you ten minutes before through email. I didn't receive them until about 2 minutes before which made me extremely flustered and threw me off. A panel of about 4 people then calls you and asks you the exact questions but they do not follow up or ask you to expand. It is just a question and answer session which lasted about 20 minutes. It was extremely awkward and I did not like it. They then took about a month to review everything and finally offered me a job.

Interview Questions
    • You have to nail the questions on one try pretty much. They don't converse with you at all so you kind of feel like you're just rambling.   Answer Question

They made a competitive offer working on a unique project but I ultimately went with a different position that paid more.

Group Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation in December 2009.

The process was unusual. They had candidates arrive 15 min before the actual interview and during that time, candidates were given the list of questions they would be asked during the interview. Candidates could take notes on the questions and refer to the notes during the actual interview. The actual interview was limited to 60 min. and conducted by two staff. One was the hiring manager and the other a member of the team with the opening. They did allow the candidate to ask questions after the formal Q&A. After answering a question, there was no follow-up from the interviewers and no further attempt to clarify or expand on what was said. Normally, I think of an interview as a conversation between the parties, but this didn't have that sense. Likely they do this to avoid issues about how one candidate was interviewed vs another. It is fair, in that sense, but I don't know if it serves the organization or the candidates well by shutting off the chance for each to learn more about the other.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would optimize the performance of an application   Answer Question
    • Describe how you would train a newly hired, novice programmer.   Answer Question

Transportation Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wisconsin Department of Transportation in October 2010.

It was an HR interview, asking me about the team work spirit and other knowledge.
    They introduce their team and their work environment to me, and describe the job requirement.