Wix

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Wix.

Interview Details – I will start by saying it's one of the most unique interviews I have ever been to. Originally, I was told that it was more of a job fair, and that it was at 7PM-10PM. then the day of, I was told it was actually from 6:30PM- 10PM. I didn't get the message until I was off from my other job, so I was not able to call back and confirm. I was happy that I was able to get there at 6:20; in my opinion 10 minutes is the good early, and not so early you creep out the person at the front desk.
Apparently not... there were already a lot of people there, I was literally one of the last ones to arrive.
They put a name tag on all the applicants and have you fill out a form with basic interview style questions on a small desk with 2 computers on it. Then they have you make a WIX website and the employees interact with you during that.

I thought that was cool to be able to talk with the employees, but between the conversations and building a website, (three things at once) I had to prioritize those, and I was unable to finish all of the written questions.

Then they had us go to another room where they had food and drinks. (this was at about 7:30)
I felt like this was a pizza break? I still had my mind on the stuff I had been working on in the previous room. I had started what I thought would be a light conversation with another applicant, and after a minute was just trying to be polite because she was telling me lots of TMI (too much information!) kind of things. Once I had managed to get toward a conversation with different people, the employees started handing out this slip of paper which asked you to pick two people you would want to be stuck with on a desert island and why. One has to be an applicant and one has to be an employee at WIX. I was not really sure what that is about, but then they collected the papers and asked us to leave! Ugh. I am terrible with names, so I was only able to put the ones I remembered.. kind of gave silly answers too, but it is a silly question I suppose.

In hind sight, I realize they were watching us during what I thought was a break, trying to see how we interact with others.
I was sad I got cornered into a random conversation, how unfortunate! Not trying to sound rude with this... I am not sure if this is necessarily the best way to gauge a person's capabilities. I had only brief interactions with the employees, who were all pleasant, but not anything directed at me, personally, and what I can offer in a specific work kind of situation. That's too bad, because I can really get behind the concept of this company, and combine that with the fact I have loads of customer service skills.

If I'm being observed/ tested on something, I think it is impolite to not make that apparent.

I didn't get a call from them, just an email that thanked me for my time but saying they weren't interested.

Community Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Wix in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, contacted via e-mail in 7-10 days for a short (10 min) phone interview. E-mail from recruiter is, well, interesting - no punctuations, ENTER is the new period. Okay...

Went in for a 1:2 interview: tell us about yourself, why you want to work here, describe your experiences per job role. They asked a question that they shouldn't have asked in the U.S, otherwise, standard; I believe I did well.

They were still interviewing, and I got one e-mail from same recruiter that I'd know by end-of-week. I followed up at decent time intervals, and never heard back - not a rejection, either - from recruiter or company. Subpar communication.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wix.

Interview Details – Job Fair, invited back for a second job fair and then an interview with the HR person.

Interview Question – During the first two job fairs I met with current Customer Service Reps. You spend the job fair using the product and the reps come around to help with questions and get to know you. Really they are trying to see if you are a good fit for the culture - laid back, patient and open.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Wix.

Interview Details – Starts off with a phone interview, then you will be invited to a job fair. They make the job fair a social event; with a number of current employees walking around getting a feel for prospects.
The biggest thing they want to see is how well you get along with everyone, as well as being able to pick up basic internet protocols. Personality wins ultimately.

After the fair all the current employees in attendance meet up and rate all the prospects. They discuss things like: who was weird, who was cute, who was funny, who was stuck up, who asked too many questions, who doesn't know their way around a browser, etc. Not scientific, just act cool and know in advance how to use the Wix platform.

Interview Question – They will have you sit in front of a computer and watch you build a website using the Wix platform.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Web Applications Developer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wix in September 2013.

Interview Details – They call for technical interview -- and meeting happened with HR around 1 hour,will ask all general questions and also ask to fill their Questionnaire which is meant mainly for customer service people. Total wastage of time. They could have done this over phone or skype. One should not waste people's time.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Wix in June 2012.

Interview Details – They interview

Interview Question – What are you like outside of work   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes

Developers Community Manager/SDK Evangelist Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wix.

Interview Details – A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. It seemed like the recruiter used a template (which excluded lots of punctuation marks for some reason) for almost every message that she sent me. I would ask her questions and she would get back to me right away, but she didn't answer my questions when I asked her about the perks of the company.

I thought it was strange that she reached out to me for a manager position being that I had very little work experience in this field. I still went in anyway just to see what the company was about. I didn't know exactly what position I would be interviewed for, so I came in without knowing what to expect. She also made me give her my salary expectations on the spot. I didn't know what position I would be interviewed for so I didn't do my research on the salary. She also told me that the position was supposed to be filled yesterday (the day before my initial interview). It didn't make sense to me why she would wait to interview me, when my LinkedIn profile showed that I was inexperienced in developers/SDK work.

I was asked to come to the office for the initial interview. I came into the office, and she had me fill out a form that was for a different role (Customer Service job application - which had written questions on the back). The people seemed very chill and the office environment was very casual. After the interview, I thought it was kind of a waste of time, since she could have easily pre-screened candidates through phone or webcam.

I was told that I "impressed" her and was asked to come in for another interview very soon after. I met with two other members from another office and they were friendly and smart. I did alright the second round and was given an online technical test. Since I wasn't familiar with HTML5, it was pretty much impossible for me to do well on the test. You have to know how to code well and understand their SDK for this position.

After submitting my very basic and unsuccessful response for the test, I was told that they would not move forward with my application. The job seemed like an exciting role since there would be many great opportunities to learn about the developers world and travel throughout the year. Overall, it was a great experience, but I could have saved a lot of time if they conducted phone or webcam interviews.

Interview Question – They didn't really ask me any questions. They were looking to see if you would be capable of doing the job.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Wix in February 2013.

Interview Details – The group interview I was invited to was very straightforward: there was a 20-minute application with a few generic questions ("Name a time where you had to deal with an upset customer", "What are your best/worst traits", etc. Following that, there was a 45-minute mixer in which all the prospective applicants got a chance to mingle with current employees and team leads.

Following that, the staff escorted everyone into the actual workspace, gave them a dual-monitor setup, and had all the applicants work on a fresh template for the remaining hour, joking around or talking about other aspects of the company or life in general with us all the while. At the beginning, you're given a card that gives you one or two questions that you must base off the people you've met that night. I was informed about a week after the interview via template email that I had not gotten the position.

Interview Question – "If you were stranded on a desert island, who would you want to trapped with? Pick one of your fellow applicants, and one employee." (Paraphrasing - Paper Question)   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Wix in February 2013.

Interview Details – I had applied to Wix on the referral of a friend who is a current employee.
I attended a "social mixer" at their San Francisco office, which they apparently use to gauge your ability to communicate and be civil to customers. There were at least 40 potential applicants at the mixer, and maybe 8 Wix employees, so it was kind of hard to get any time to talk to them as they were inundated by people all trying to talk at them at once. At no point did I feel like anyone was being properly evaluated, as it all felt like trite superficial conversation. It all seemed kind of disorganized and a very impersonal way to try to find people to work for the company.
We had time to use the site software, to get an idea of what it was the company did. It is pretty self explanatory.
We were told that we would be informed about the next round of one on one interviews. A few weeks later, I received what looked to be a cut and paste response saying they were not going forward with my interview process.

Tech Support Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wix in February 2011.

Interview Details – So it started out as a job mixer where 15-20 people showed up at the Wix office in Downtown SF. In a work/live apartment / loft type set up.

We created web sites on their platform and filled out a small survey. During this time we were allowed to socialize with other applicants and current employees. Then we were called one by one for a 1:1 interview. Needless to say, it was very disorganized. People who had not been asked to show up, showed up anyway and took the interview time from people who were actually asked to attend. Which I thought, was poor on their part for not distinguishing those who were actually supposed to be there from those who were not.

The guy that interviewed me was a supervisor, but seemed very cocky and not very technical. I felt like I was talking loops around him when asking him about details regarding support and he didn't seem to be able to answer my questions confidently. He seemed intimidated and I was asking simple questions about DNS, system structure, etc. Your platform is designed to create web sites and you don't have knowledge outside of your platform? What?!

A lot of the people that were at the job mixer were very non-technical, not many had design skills, and a few were struggling with the tools. The platform was pretty n00b friendly.

I had a phone interview with the Manager of the SF operation. Very nice guy. We had a long discussion on the phone about DNS, their system structure, and all of the questions the original guy couldn't answer. He said my interactions were positive and he wanted to proceed. He stated HR would be in contact and we would arrange for another interview, face-to-face. A week went by and I followed up to his e-mail address as well as their HR address. No reply. Finally after 3 weeks of follow-ups (1 per week), their HR wrote back a canned response telling me they decided not to go forward. Very abrupt and very unprofessional.

Compensation & benefits package was below par.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Wix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wix interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Wix employees and interview candidates.