Wizards of the Coast

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Associate Brand Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in February 2014.

Interview Details – The company seems a bit disorganized overall - poor communication between the recruiter and hiring manager as well as one of the hiring managers showing up to the interview significantly late and repeating information.

Interview Question – How would you make Magic the Gathering appeal to new users unfamiliar with the game without dumbing down the content at all?   Answer Question

Associate Brand Manager Interview

Associate Brand Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast.

Interview Details – Initial interview was with a recruiter. The questions were very 'get to know you' types of questions. Had follow-up interviews with two brand managers. This interview was more specific to the brand and current products. No difficult questions and each manager was very pleasant. We discussed the brand quite a bit and they asked pretty standard questions to get to my knowledge of the segments they play in.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Business Partner Role Interview

Business Partner Role

I applied online - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process didn't seem very organized or respectful of the candidates' time. I can appreciate busy HR departments and hiring managers, but I applied for a position at the beginning of December and didn't receive any sort of response until late-January. I explained it away as year-end chaos, as any employer would have. After an initial pre-screen phone conversation, though, communication completely stopped. After three attempts to obtain the status of the position (which is still open), I finally decided to move on. I understand people are busy, but I would assume a company of this size would have some sort of auto-reply on their applicant tracking system to decline their applicants. This is unfortunately a common occurrence, however, and not unique to WotC. Rather than saying, "no, thank you," employers simply stop talking to you. It's kind of like a bad date!

Interview Question – The pre-screen questions were super basic, such as asking about previous work experience, asking what I knew about the organization, etc. Nothing too crazy.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Business Manager Interview

Assistant Business Manager

Interviewed at Wizards of the Coast

Interview Details – Consisted of two phone interviews, and three in person interviews before a hiring decision was made. Those that interviewed were respectful and nice.

Interview Question – A roll playing question with no feedback to what an ideal answer would be.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in November 2013.

Interview Details – This was the most drawn out, uncoordinated process I've ever seen. There were weeks, and in one case more than a month, between communications from the recruiter and in the end they never even contacted me with an answer. After trying to work with them for more than three months they never even returned phone calls for an actual answer. They just discontinued communication. Not only would I not consider working for them in the future, but I have decided to discontinue using their products in my personal life. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – Would you look for people with the knowledge to perform this job or a passion for the product?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Tier 1 1 Interview

Customer Service Representative Tier 1 1
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in August 2013.

Interview Details – After applying through Hasbro's job site, I was sent a follow-up email from a hiring manager, with an included "worksheet" to give them a better feel of my knowledge of their products and my attitude. The worksheet was not difficult, but it hardly felt like much of a screening process.

Interview Question – The worksheet asked what an owlbear was?   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Marketing
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in July 2009.

Interview Details – There were 4 rounds of interviews - mostly panels of cross functional teams plus the hiring manager one-on-one.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult, but if they ask you about their games be honest - don't try to pretend that you play them if you don't.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little negotiation. I told them I needed to think about it, and immediately got a higher offer.

Software Development Manager Interview

Software Development Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Wizards of the Coast.

Interview Details – I was only invited for a single phone interview.
There was no further communication from the company.
There was not a response to an email request for a status.

Interview Question – The senior technical recruiter explained that he did not understand the technology well and required a question and answer sheet to complete the interview.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in July 2012.

Interview Details – Booked for three hours of meetings with different groups. Some listed showed up, some did not. Additional people showed up not listed. Seemed like I was not worth their time to interview, eventhough I was over qualified for the position. Did not receive any communication after the interviews from the HR recruiter nor hiring manager, even after I contacted them.

Interview Question – Of the interviewers that came prepared, they were just standard questions seen in most interviews. Only one person had a list of questions in front of them. No one took notes.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance
Kent, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Wizards of the Coast in June 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter passed on the questions raised by the hiring managers and typed my answers into notes, which were passed on to the hiring managers later. Basically how the recruiter interpret the interviewee's answers have critical impact on the hiring manager's understanding of the competence of the interviewee. So be careful with your words and make necessary preparations beforehand.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult situation when the team members have different goals?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Wizards of the Coast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wizards of the Coast interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Wizards of the Coast employees and interview candidates.