Wolfram Research

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Wolfram Technology Engineer Interview

Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was better than most of the companies. They only see your potential rather than being hung about the skills that you already have. They rather checked if you can learn and if you

Interview Question – how will you simulate quality control in construction   View Answer

Negotiation Details – To some extent. They pay very poorly in general.

Software Developer Interview

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research in July 2009.

Interview Details – Got a phone call couple of days after applying.
In person meeting was arranged within a weeks time after the initial phone call.
A talk with some team lead from London was arranged a week after the inperson interview.

Interview Question – Can't think of anything. For the most part, it was me explaining them my background and experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, i was able to negotiate salary. The HR was quick, responsive and very smart

Analyst Interview

Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – After meeting a recruiter at a job fair and describing my job aspirations, I was contacted by email to arrange a phone interview with potential co-workers. Then a second phone interview was arranged in which I spoke with a manager as well. I was then invited for an on-site interview in which I met with members of my potential team and given an array of technical questions.
During the on-site interview I could the company atmosphere came across as relaxed, intellectual, and professional. The dress code is very casual and the place was abuzz with an occupied focus.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions were the technical questions focused on the skills declared on my resume. Specifically, they asked me to write specific programs and queries in a few of the standards I had listed, as well as built off of those answers to answer hypothetical questions I might encounter in the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have a relocation reimbursement if you need it.

Applied Research Group Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a number of amazingly professional and polite recruiters. The gentlemen I interviewed with only seemed to be interested in topics as they related to himself. It seemed rather clear that if I wasn't willing to kiss his butt I would not be offered a job.

Interview Question – Impromptu computer science riddles he thought I'd like to try out for fun...interjected with casual conversation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low pay and the hiring manager I would work with seemed like a sociopath.

Technical Group Interview

Interviewed at Wolfram Research

Interview Details – First round was a technical phone interview. The interview was an hour long and included questions on my resume and situation based engineering questions.
The second round was a problem set consisting of 10 problems that I had to solve using Mathematica.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly straightforward and were aimed to study my thought process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wolfram Research in April 2011.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume and got a phone interview

Interview Question – My previous research experience related to the position   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Champaign, IL

The process took a day - interviewed at Wolfram Research in April 2011.

Interview Details – It was mostly based on my resume and my experience. I got interviewed by 5 people. It was 1:1. All of them were very polite and friendly and made you feel at ease. Overall a good experience.

Negotiation Details – None

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Urbana, IL

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wolfram Research in March 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied to Wolfram online, and during a career fair I saw their desk. I asked them about the inteview process and they asked to apply online. I told them I had already done that before, so the lady at the desk asked me to send some code samples which I had already sent. She confirmed saying that you should get a call from the company HR by second week of March. Well I did get a call setting up of 3 interviews just a week after the Spring Break.

The first interviewer asked me everything about my projects specified in the resume and few other design and database questions(interview wasn't very difficult). The second interviewer was simple and I guess since I wasn't very interested in doing UI stuff it didn't last for more than 20mins. He didn't asked me anything on Data Structures and Algorithms but to send a code sample of a UI based project which I did in Fall09 semester(again was simple and easy).

The third interview was grilling as he asked each and every line in my resume starting from the first line till last project specified. I was not able to speak on one of my project but overall I did good I guess.(not very easy could have screwed up assuming the first two were easy). I good thing I did here was asked the interviewer some nice substantial questions which he was very happy to answer. I could actually make out from the way he was speaking.

The last interview was good one! I mean in terms of questions. There were two design questions, I coding problem, I application design question. This interview lasted for more than 1 hour. I did well in the interview. I am still waiting for them to get back to me, it's been more than 1 and half week, and I haven't heard from them. Actually their process is quick but I am not sure why there is so much of delay for me.

Well as a whole the interview are ok.. but you need to prepare well... as in you cannot judge on the basis of preivous interviews. Except for 2nd interview, 1 3 and 4 interviews were 1hr long so expect many questions from them. Overall good experience and hoping to get a positive feedback from them.

Interview Questions

• Design a class for Histogram; Some things were given as in I was told that there are two methods and then what will be the code inside and to write more methods if needed.   Answer Question
  • What is an index in database. Advantages and disadvantages of using them   Answer Question
  • Tail recursive function for calculating factorial. (I did it in scheme)   View Answers (3)

Engineering Interview

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Wolfram Research in November 2009.

Interview Details – Mainly technical questions related to my PhD. Details about my dissertation, papers published etc. Questions about what else I did during PhD, like other activities and responsibilities etc. How much background I have in Mathematica, and Mathematics. Some questions based on Control Systems, analysis, modeling, simulation etc.

Interview Question – How do you see yourself 5 years from now ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was not able to negotiate as this was my first Job

Very Easy Interview

QA Engineer Interview

Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very simple interview process.. phone interview with hiring manager for an hour discussing work experience.. was called for an onsite interview.. very simple and straughtfirward.. no technical questions.. i was the one asking all the questions for the most part.. got over in half a day.. got an offer in a week's time..

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – not that easy to negotiate..

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wolfram Research

Worked for Wolfram Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wolfram Research interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Wolfram Research employees and interview candidates.