Wolfram Research

19 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Academic Sales Interview

Academic Sales

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – Started with initial contact via phone to talk about my background, job description, and my interest in the job. Was then scheduled a phone interview via email acceptance. During the first phone interview, it was pretty basic with more detail into the job, company , etc. and some general role playing so they could get a feel for my thought process. Again, I was scheduled for another phone interview via email acceptance. The second round was less general than the previous, but overall fairly easy. Finally, I was given a third and final in-person interview. I met with all the sales managers individually in addition to a giving a short presentation I had to make prior to the interview.

Interview Question – What do you think will be the hardest part of this job for you?   View Answer

Public Relations Interview

Public Relations
Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – Phone interview with recruiter first. In person interview with 3 people, one from the PR department, another from a project management position and finally their boss. Very friendly and personable intelligent people. Lots to take in but genuinely interested in what you have to say. Also very upfront about the challenges of working for Wolfram. Now I have a follow up interview with a lady from their MA office. Very intriguing ... I believe I would enjoy working here.

Interview Question – I was asked about the kind of timelines I've worked with. Seems like a very open to interpretation kind of question.   Answer Question

Technical Writer - Marketing Interview

Technical Writer - Marketing
Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Wolfram Research in July 2013.

Interview Details – In all, interviewed (both phone and in-person) with at least a dozen people. In many cases, I didn't have a clear picture of the persons's role within the company or why I was being interviewed by them specifically. Something like four or five months elapsed between the time I submitted my resume and the time I was offered the job.

Interview Question – Was asked to provide a surprisingly large number of writing samples compared to other interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were unable to provide the salary I was asking at the start, but they came close and agreed to a review after six months with the potential for a raise.

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – One approximately 30 minute phone interview within a week I applied. Interview wasn't hard at all. Most of the questions were about my projects, and the interviewer spent a lot of time explaining my potential projects during the internship. It appeared to me though that the interviewer wanted to see if I have sufficient experience in writing Mathematica codes. I was asked to send him some of my best Mathematica codes after the interview.

Interview Question – There wasn't really a difficult question.   Answer Question

Wolfram Technology Engineer Interview

Wolfram Technology Engineer
Champaign, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research in September 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was better than most of the companies. They only see your potential rather than being hung about the skills that you already have. They rather checked if you can learn and if you

Interview Question – how will you simulate quality control in construction   View Answer

Negotiation Details – To some extent. They pay very poorly in general.

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Champaign, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research in July 2009.

Interview Details – Got a phone call couple of days after applying.
In person meeting was arranged within a weeks time after the initial phone call.
A talk with some team lead from London was arranged a week after the inperson interview.

Interview Question – Can't think of anything. For the most part, it was me explaining them my background and experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, i was able to negotiate salary. The HR was quick, responsive and very smart

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Champaign, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – After meeting a recruiter at a job fair and describing my job aspirations, I was contacted by email to arrange a phone interview with potential co-workers. Then a second phone interview was arranged in which I spoke with a manager as well. I was then invited for an on-site interview in which I met with members of my potential team and given an array of technical questions.
During the on-site interview I could the company atmosphere came across as relaxed, intellectual, and professional. The dress code is very casual and the place was abuzz with an occupied focus.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions were the technical questions focused on the skills declared on my resume. Specifically, they asked me to write specific programs and queries in a few of the standards I had listed, as well as built off of those answers to answer hypothetical questions I might encounter in the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have a relocation reimbursement if you need it.

Applied Research Group Interview

Applied Research Group

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Wolfram Research.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a number of amazingly professional and polite recruiters. The gentlemen I interviewed with only seemed to be interested in topics as they related to himself. It seemed rather clear that if I wasn't willing to kiss his butt I would not be offered a job.

Interview Question – Impromptu computer science riddles he thought I'd like to try out for fun...interjected with casual conversation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low pay and the hiring manager I would work with seemed like a sociopath.

Technical Group Interview

Technical Group

Interviewed at Wolfram Research

Interview Details – First round was a technical phone interview. The interview was an hour long and included questions on my resume and situation based engineering questions.
The second round was a problem set consisting of 10 problems that I had to solve using Mathematica.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly straightforward and were aimed to study my thought process.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Wolfram Research in April 2011.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume and got a phone interview

Interview Question – My previous research experience related to the position   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wolfram Research

Worked for Wolfram Research? Contribute to the Community!