Wolfram Research

Wolfram Research Software Engineer Interview Questions

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolfram Research in April 2011.

I emailed my resume and got a phone interview

Interview Questions
  • My previous research experience related to the position   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Wolfram Research

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Urbana, IL

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wolfram Research in March 2011.

I had applied to Wolfram online, and during a career fair I saw their desk. I asked them about the inteview process and they asked to apply online. I told them I had already done that before, so the lady at the desk asked me to send some code samples which I had already sent. She confirmed saying that you should get a call from the company HR by second week of March. Well I did get a call setting up of 3 interviews just a week after the Spring Break.

The first interviewer asked me everything about my projects specified in the resume and few other design and database questions(interview wasn't very difficult). The second interviewer was simple and I guess since I wasn't very interested in doing UI stuff it didn't last for more than 20mins. He didn't asked me anything on Data Structures and Algorithms but to send a code sample of a UI based project which I did in Fall09 semester(again was simple and easy).

The third interview was grilling as he asked each and every line in my resume starting from the first line till last project specified. I was not able to speak on one of my project but overall I did good I guess.(not very easy could have screwed up assuming the first two were easy). I good thing I did here was asked the interviewer some nice substantial questions which he was very happy to answer. I could actually make out from the way he was speaking.

The last interview was good one! I mean in terms of questions. There were two design questions, I coding problem, I application design question. This interview lasted for more than 1 hour. I did well in the interview. I am still waiting for them to get back to me, it's been more than 1 and half week, and I haven't heard from them. Actually their process is quick but I am not sure why there is so much of delay for me.

Well as a whole the interview are ok.. but you need to prepare well... as in you cannot judge on the basis of preivous interviews. Except for 2nd interview, 1 3 and 4 interviews were 1hr long so expect many questions from them. Overall good experience and hoping to get a positive feedback from them.

Interview Questions
    • Design a class for Histogram; Some things were given as in I was told that there are two methods and then what will be the code inside and to write more methods if needed.   Answer Question
    • What is an index in database. Advantages and disadvantages of using them   Answer Question
    • Tail recursive function for calculating factorial. (I did it in scheme)   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wolfram Research in April 2011.

Initially HR called to setup the phone interview with Hiring manager and then had 3 phone interviews. They were based on the resume and about the various projects at school. Asked about the various web technologies have worked with and database concepts. Then was called for an on-site interview. They arranged everything for my travel as well as accommodation. The hotel in which they provided accommodation was also very nice. HR is very helpful and gave me detailed info about all the rounds and people with whom i'll be meeting. After couple of rounds, had gone for lunch interview with managers. Overall the interview process was very well-planned and organized. Was given an offer on same day itself at the end of the day.