Wolverine Trading

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.2

Trader Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wolverine Trading.

I was contacted by HR and we scheduled a phone interview, a trader called me and we did three brainteasers. After that I waited a little more than a week before we set up a second phone interview with another trader who also asked brainteasers as well as some questions about supply, demand and economics

Interview Questions
    • 1000 Wine bottle problem, commonly seen on glassdoor   View Answer

Trading Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Wolverine Trading.

Two phone interviews. Dropped off my resume at a on-campus career fair and got an interview request by e-mail. Third interview would have been final and on-site I guess, but didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • Suppose I roll a dice and give you the outcome of the roll in dollars. How much is this game worth to you if I give you can roll up to three times?   View Answer

Software Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in November 2014.

Handed my resume to recruiter at career fair and then was invited to a phone interview and after that was invited to interview on site. Phone interview consisted primarily of common computer science questions, mostly about data structures.

For the on site interview, the company provided me a hotel and travel reimbursement. At the interview I was first asked to solve some problems on paper. After that I was given 45 minutes to solve a problem using nothing but notepad++. I was asked to solve it without using a calculator or the internet. After that I had lunch with some other developers. When I returned from lunch I was promptly informed that I didn't pass the programming challenge on the computer and that the interview was immediately over. This was very sudden.

Overall the company left a positive experience despite the sudden rejection. I did feel like it was a waste of time to come all the way to Chicago if a decision was going to be made so quickly about the problems I solved with the engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to find all unique integers in a list without using a hashtable.   Answer Question

Trading Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in November 2014.

1st round was mostly soft questions, Tell me about yourself? why finance? why buy side? do you know what market making is?

I was asked to describe my research, and also a classic dice question, which you could find in any quant interview prep book.

Second round was a more detailed evaluation of the content I had on my resume

Interview Questions
    • How much would you pay to play a game where you roll a die three times, and can stop to collect the rolled number in dollars at any roll?   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Sit down with a piece of paper and write code, then talk about it with the interviewer. Watch out for corner cases.
    I didn't finish quickly, so there wasn't much time to go over it or talk about the company.

Interview Questions
    • Be able to implement a linked list the way you would with C++.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wolverine Trading.

Met them at a campus career fair, got an interview the next day. The interview was a simple written c++ coding exercise, with time leftover for questions. The man I interviewed with was very nice, giving me time to adjust my answer if he saw anything wrong. I then had an onsite interview. It had a coding exercise plus some technical interviews.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviews had some in depth data structures questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in October 2014.

Interview process went very smoothly & efficiently. They paid for my travel to Chicago and put me up in a hotel (a nice one about a block or two away and convenient to the Blue Line so you can get to/from the airport easily). It was set up quickly, the interview process ran well & on schedule, and the offer came in a few days later. Everyone was very courteous and professional, and everyone gave me the opportunity to ask them questions after they had asked all of theirs which is something I appreciate. I had lunch with a couple of the guys in Wolverine's cafeteria afterwards, and I had a great time chatting with everyone (which made the decision to take the job even easier because I got along well with them in a more social setting).

Interview Questions
    • None really - the questions were all reasonable in my opinion compared to some other interviews where I felt like I was being asked to solve a problem in 15 minutes where I would normally have 2 or 3 hours to work on it.   Answer Question
    No problems at all - the terms of the offer were very fair and they were flexible about my start date which was helpful as I needed to finish up a consulting assignment before I could start with them. Only complaint is that nobody mentioned they had a high-deductible health care plan which took me by surprise on my first day when I was told about it. Granted, I could've asked for more information before accepting, but they could've been a little more forthcoming also.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Wolverine Trading.

The hiring recruiter came to my university for a technical job fair, gave me an interview card for an on campus interview for the day after. I went in not really prepared, but it was a 45 minute interview where the recruiter asked me 1 question and asked me to write the function to implement a linked list question.

Interview Questions
    • initial interview : insert into already sorted linked list and ensure that it remains sorted   Answer Question

Helpdesk Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolverine Trading.

I applied through their website and received a initial phone call. Typical HR questions that were read off a script by their IT Staff. They sounded bored on the phone and acted as if they you were a waste of their time.

Interview Questions
    • Generic HR questions like What is your greatest weakness, what is your greatest strength, what do you like most about help desk?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in September 2014.

On campus interview after career fair. Had me insert into a singly linked list. Was very casual and laid back. 30 minutes. Had a very minor discussion beforehand about where I wanted to be later down the road, but nothing too behavioral.