Wolverine Trading

Wolverine Trading Software Engineer Intern Interview Questions

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in February 2012.

I was contacted by email to set up a phone screening after they found my resume on my university's website. The phone interview was around 20 min, I was asked numerous technical questions. I botched a few. I got an email later that day that said my time and interest were appreciated but they couldn't take me because they had a great pool of candidates.

Interview Questions
  • What's the difference between overloading and overriding?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Wolverine Trading

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in February 2012.

I was offered a 1:1 interview at a college campus career fair, and later flown to the headquarters in Chicago for a second round interview. Basic questions consisted of recent projects, behavioral questions, and technical questions. The first technical interviewer was very welcoming and nice. However, the second was very rude throughout the entire process.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in October 2011.

The interview was very technical based. Many questions considering object orientated programming and data structures. There was a large importance placed on broad knowledge and not necessarily specifics. No questions that required example code or solving any specific problems with certain data structures, etc. Overall not too difficult in the grand scheme of CS interviews however I was not expecting it to be as technical as it was.

Interview Questions
    • What are necessary things that a copy constructor must do when it executes?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Wolverine Trading in December 2010.

I met with Wolverine at a career fair, and applied by giving them my resume. I was offered a phone interview first. This interview covered the really basic technical questions (C++), but lasted a while. Things like class vs. object, initializer lists, pointers vs. references, pointer vs. reference parameters, overloading vs. overriding. Obviously you should feel pretty solid in your understanding of these concepts for any interview for a C++ job. At the end of the interview, he already told me I would be interviewed on site in Chicago.

When I arrived on site for the interview, I ended up meeting with the three different development teams throughout the day. Each one was technical and involved writing some code on paper. It was a little awkward for an interview as they did not ask me to explain as I wrote, just to explain afterward. I find most employers prefer you "think aloud", so I'm actually used to that now.

The first interview was for the WORMS team and they told me about the team and what they do. Then I was asked to write code to find the largest palindrome number which is the product of two N digit numbers. my initial attempt was not optimal and also I showed that it was incorrect. I worked with the developer on fixing my mistakes and then optimizing. He really helped point out what was wrong while I tried to come up with solutions.

The next interviewer did not tell me much about the the team. They asked me to write code to reverse a string in place (easy, simple swap). Then to find the middle node of a linked list. I took an approach of using two iterators. It's really not too hard when you think about it.

The final interviewer was from the market data team. They talked to me about networking (TCP vs. UDP) although I said I had not had any networking experience yet. I was asked the difference between a heap and a balanced binary tree. Then I had to write code to find the max depth of a binary tree.

I had lunch with two developers. Just talked a little with them (not really part of the interview). We ate at the company cafeteria. It wasn't bad but they said it was a bad day. Still, they do provide free breakfast/lunch which is nice.

Finally, I met with the same developer again and was given a problem printed out. He had me type up a solution in notepad and left me to do it for 45 minutes. He said they would look over it after. After that, he just came back, asked if I had any questions and walked me out.

In retrospect, I REALLY wish I had asked for a tour at the end of the interview. I got to see very little of the office space and I would have liked to see some of that before I left. Also, I felt that the interviews were a little disorganized compared to other companies, in that I had no idea who I would meet with next each time. I spent the whole day (except lunch) in one conference room and people would just come in, interview, and leave, telling me the next person would be in shortly. It was a little weird, but everyone was really nice.

Interview Questions
    • Write code to find the largest palindrome number that is the product of two N digit numbers.   View Answer
    • Find the middle node of a linked list with no cycles   Answer Question
    • Find the max depth of a binary tree   View Answer
    It was an internship, and a very good offer for an internship, so I did not negotiate.