Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated May 13, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I found out about Wood Mackenzie at a career fair that I attended. Before approaching the recruiter I had already applied to the position and told him about it. He said he had an open spot for the on-site interview and that he would send me a numerical assessment before I could attend. I attended the career fair on Wednesday, received the assessment Friday, and went to the on-site interview Monday. I should have taken more time to practice for the assessment. It wasn't necessarily difficult but very fast paced.

The interview Monday began with an individual presentation that we had to prepare. Each of the interviewees received their own room to prepare for the presentation (Don't get intimidated by the booklet with the background information since it's pretty long). We had to make a recommendation for a company and point out their areas of improvement. The company was a hypothetical Auto Insurance company.

The second part involved writing two essays "Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc" The second essay was " discuss 3 present issues in the upstream energy industry". I would say really think about these questions before hand so you don't have to spend much time brainstorming.

We had two interviews, a technical and behavioral one. The behavioral was really straightforward and relaxing. For the technical one, really make sure you are up to date with the energy industry news worldwide and financial analysis.

Then we had lunch and received a presentation. We had the opportunity to ask more informal questions and get to know some of the younger employees.

Finally, we had to analyze a manufacturing company and make a recommendation on how to operate for the day. We each had 30 minutes to read the background and problem statement. Then the same people from the technical interview came back and just watched us discuss and come up with the most efficient way to operate.

Come mentally prepared for a very long day.

Interview Questions

• Who is the most important person in oil and gas?
      How do you calculate cash flows and interest rate?
      What has caused the price of the barrel of oil to fluctuate?
      How do you know when you have delivered a good presentation?
      3 present issues in the upstream energy industry?
      Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc

Answer Question

Account Manager/Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

HR pushes hard to schedule interviews. The process is typically two to three phases - phone interview, face to face, then more face to face with a 20-30 minute presentation requirement. Relatively friendly interview style - conversational mainly. They want to be sure that you are a cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the process is the group presentation. It can be quite stressful and require quite a bit of preparation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR makes the formal offer. They push back pretty firmly on the 1st request to negotiate. They are willing to pay a signing bonus vs. moving up on base salary offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
    You have a case study that you then have to present.
    You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
    You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would value an oil company?
      You have to take an IQ test.

1 Answer

Negotiation

They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
    I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
    30 minutes written test
    45 minutes case/presentation
    45 minutes technical interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Questions

• Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question

Unconventional Play Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Contacted by HR, conducted a phone call half on company facts and half on professional interests.
    Final round at office, tough day.
    Write two essays, prepare a presentation for one hour and present, 2:1 behavioral and 2:1 technical, and group case study. randoms bonus interviews with colleagues.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email to take a math and reasoning assessment online. It was fairly easy, they also have practice assessments that you can take prior to the real one. I was then contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with and HR rep. It was a short phone interview basically just asking about stuff on my resume and my availability. Then I went to Houston, TX for an Assessment day consisting of an individual case study, group case study, writing activity, behavioral interview, and technical interview. I was there from 8:45am-1:30pm after which they ushered me out without any lunch. The schedule listed lunch with the team, but I guess they decided not to do it that day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about 3 things that are currently facing the US Petrochemicals industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews, first - general one; second - more technical. The technical session comprises behaviour test, group presentation and technical presentation. They give you a topic to prepare and then to analyse the issue in the next half hour