Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 6, 2014

3.7

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
    You have a case study that you then have to present.
    You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
    You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would value an oil company?
      You have to take an IQ test.
        View Answer
    They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in October 2013.

Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
    I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2011.

Hiring process requires completion of the online application and information requested; the interview process for this level includes group interviews, a presentation prepared on a topic relevant to the area you're interviewing in under time constraints, and a behavioral interview by HR. Hiring decisions are made by a group.

Interview Questions
    • Describing past challenges in working with a group and responses to them.   View Answer
    Be familiar with what is offered for this type position by the competition and/or what you are currently making especially if it's higher. People who value money over benefits will probably not be as happy with the compensation structure here but for many work/life balance has value that offsets this.

Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
    30 minutes written test
    45 minutes case/presentation
    45 minutes technical interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in May 2013.

I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Questions
    • Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2013.

I applied online and was contacted via email to take a math and reasoning assessment online. It was fairly easy, they also have practice assessments that you can take prior to the real one. I was then contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with and HR rep. It was a short phone interview basically just asking about stuff on my resume and my availability. Then I went to Houston, TX for an Assessment day consisting of an individual case study, group case study, writing activity, behavioral interview, and technical interview. I was there from 8:45am-1:30pm after which they ushered me out without any lunch. The schedule listed lunch with the team, but I guess they decided not to do it that day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about 3 things that are currently facing the US Petrochemicals industry.   Answer Question

Unconventional Play Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Contacted by HR, conducted a phone call half on company facts and half on professional interests.
    Final round at office, tough day.
    Write two essays, prepare a presentation for one hour and present, 2:1 behavioral and 2:1 technical, and group case study. randoms bonus interviews with colleagues.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Very long and in-depth. Phone, personal interview and presentation. Very professional office in Houston and impressed with location and appearance.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult client and how you dealt with the conflict.   View Answer
    Very difficult negotiation with salary. Benefits made up for it.

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

It was very organized and thorough. Everyone was friendly.

Interview Questions

Worked for Wood Mackenzie? Contribute to the Community!