Wood Mackenzie

3.6

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager/Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

HR pushes hard to schedule interviews. The process is typically two to three phases - phone interview, face to face, then more face to face with a 20-30 minute presentation requirement. Relatively friendly interview style - conversational mainly. They want to be sure that you are a cultural fit.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the process is the group presentation. It can be quite stressful and require quite a bit of preparation.   View Answer
    HR makes the formal offer. They push back pretty firmly on the 1st request to negotiate. They are willing to pay a signing bonus vs. moving up on base salary offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
    You have a case study that you then have to present.
    You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
    You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would value an oil company?
      You have to take an IQ test.

View Answer
    They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
    I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie in October 2013.

Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Energy Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
    30 minutes written test
    45 minutes case/presentation
    45 minutes technical interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie in May 2013.

I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Questions
    • Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question

Unconventional Play Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Contacted by HR, conducted a phone call half on company facts and half on professional interests.
    Final round at office, tough day.
    Write two essays, prepare a presentation for one hour and present, 2:1 behavioral and 2:1 technical, and group case study. randoms bonus interviews with colleagues.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2013.

I applied online and was contacted via email to take a math and reasoning assessment online. It was fairly easy, they also have practice assessments that you can take prior to the real one. I was then contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with and HR rep. It was a short phone interview basically just asking about stuff on my resume and my availability. Then I went to Houston, TX for an Assessment day consisting of an individual case study, group case study, writing activity, behavioral interview, and technical interview. I was there from 8:45am-1:30pm after which they ushered me out without any lunch. The schedule listed lunch with the team, but I guess they decided not to do it that day.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about 3 things that are currently facing the US Petrochemicals industry.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2013.

2 rounds of interviews, first - general one; second - more technical. The technical session comprises behaviour test, group presentation and technical presentation. They give you a topic to prepare and then to analyse the issue in the next half hour

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Very long and in-depth. Phone, personal interview and presentation. Very professional office in Houston and impressed with location and appearance.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult client and how you dealt with the conflict.   View Answer
    Very difficult negotiation with salary. Benefits made up for it.