Wood Mackenzie

Average Difficulty
13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
You have a case study that you then have to present.
You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would value an oil company?
You have to take an IQ test.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process requires completion of the online application and information requested; the interview process for this level includes group interviews, a presentation prepared on a topic relevant to the area you're interviewing in under time constraints, and a behavioral interview by HR. Hiring decisions are made by a group.

Interview Question – Describing past challenges in working with a group and responses to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be familiar with what is offered for this type position by the competition and/or what you are currently making especially if it's higher. People who value money over benefits will probably not be as happy with the compensation structure here but for many work/life balance has value that offsets this.

Energy Consultant Interview

Energy Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
30 minutes written test
45 minutes case/presentation
45 minutes technical interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Question – Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted via email to take a math and reasoning assessment online. It was fairly easy, they also have practice assessments that you can take prior to the real one. I was then contacted by HR to set up a phone interview with and HR rep. It was a short phone interview basically just asking about stuff on my resume and my availability. Then I went to Houston, TX for an Assessment day consisting of an individual case study, group case study, writing activity, behavioral interview, and technical interview. I was there from 8:45am-1:30pm after which they ushered me out without any lunch. The schedule listed lunch with the team, but I guess they decided not to do it that day.

Interview Question – Tell me about 3 things that are currently facing the US Petrochemicals industry.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Unconventional Play Analyst Interview

Unconventional Play Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR, conducted a phone call half on company facts and half on professional interests.
Final round at office, tough day.
Write two essays, prepare a presentation for one hour and present, 2:1 behavioral and 2:1 technical, and group case study. randoms bonus interviews with colleagues.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Very long and in-depth. Phone, personal interview and presentation. Very professional office in Houston and impressed with location and appearance.

Interview Question – Tell me about a difficult client and how you dealt with the conflict.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very difficult negotiation with salary. Benefits made up for it.

Trainer Interview

Trainer
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – It was very organized and thorough. Everyone was friendly.

Interview Question – Detailed inquiry of product use   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wood Mackenzie

Worked for Wood Mackenzie? Contribute to the Community!