Wood Mackenzie

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
You have a case study that you then have to present.
You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Tell me how you would value an oil company?
You have to take an IQ test.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

Interview Details – Recieved phone call for an interview. Interview consisted of 3 rounds. First round was behavorial. Asked, "What do you know about this company?". "Why do you want this position?" Strengths and Weaknesses, and "Tell about a time you worked as a team."

Interview Question – Tell about a times you worked as a team.   Answer Question

Upstream Research Intern Interview

Upstream Research Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – For the internship program there was only one interview which lasted about 45 minutes. The interview was conducted on campus, and consisted of mainly behavioral questions and inquiries about technical skills (excel, powerpoint, research) and understanding of oil and gas industry. Overall the interview was relaxed and informal. It seemed like the interviewer just wanted to get to know the candidate and determine if they possessed a strong knowledge foundation and general understanding and interest in the energy industry.

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you could use the "vlookup" function in excel.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in October 2013.

Interview Details – Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process requires completion of the online application and information requested; the interview process for this level includes group interviews, a presentation prepared on a topic relevant to the area you're interviewing in under time constraints, and a behavioral interview by HR. Hiring decisions are made by a group.

Interview Question – Describing past challenges in working with a group and responses to them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be familiar with what is offered for this type position by the competition and/or what you are currently making especially if it's higher. People who value money over benefits will probably not be as happy with the compensation structure here but for many work/life balance has value that offsets this.

Upstream Research Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Didn't go through first round of software based questions. Heavy statistics and data sorting with time limits.

Interview Question – Wasn't prepared for the software round.   Answer Question

Energy Consultant Interview

Energy Consultant
Houston, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview Details – Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
30 minutes written test
45 minutes case/presentation
45 minutes technical interview

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Question – Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question

Summer Internship Interview

Summer Internship
Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in January 2013.

Interview Details – I knew about the company as I worked in the energy industry for a while and connected with HR in one of Job seminars, I had also applied through their online application system for the same position and reiterated my interest in the position at the job fair.
1. I got a call for face-to-face interview and the interview lasted about 35 min. with 2 interviewers. The conversation focused on my previous job and interests and was relatively technical in nature.
2. I cleared the first round and had a telephonic round with the senior management of area of my interest. The interview was very technical with market specifications, modeling tools and management experience.
3. I had a third and final round with specific team which interested me. It was more of a chat on my experience, knowledge and questions on Wood Mackenzie in general.

Negotiation Details – It was standard and fixed offer, kind of take it or leave it

Interviews for Top Jobs at Wood Mackenzie

Worked for Wood Mackenzie? Contribute to the Community!