Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2015

3.3

Research Associate America's Gas Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in August 2015.

Interview

Initially I was contacted by HR to give an assessment by SHL. It is a pretty easy assessment of half an hour with 18 questions. You can view sample questions on the SHL website. After one week, I was called for an interview at the Houston office. It is a comprehensive all day process that started at 8.30 am. Initially I was asked to solve basic excel based questions using pivot tables. The second exercise involved presenting on one of the two case studies. The case study I presented on was titled American Gas Supply Costs. It was followed by an HR interview. I was asked about questions like " Tell me about one instance where you were forced to collaborate with someone you had a problem with". Prepare for STAR based interview. It was followed by writing two essays : " Why do you want to be an analyst" and "Upstream Issues". Finally I had a technical interview where they asked me if I knew SQL and other technical upstream related stuff.

Interview Questions

• How will US LNG exports be affected if Henry Hub gas prices rise ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

An overly-long interview process for a middling-level position. It was nearly a full day's length, involving multiple sessions, many of which felt either poorly-attuned to the specific position, or just simply redundant.

Interview Questions

• How much does the average oil/gas well cost to drill?   1 Answer

Client Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The company contacted me in June via phone interview and a month later brought me in for a face to face. I was not given the details of the interview until the day before and the details given was missing a lot of information that I would have appreciated. On the day, I was told that I would be meeting with 2 managers - did not have a clue about that. Managers were not friendly especially the HR manager. The interview was very to robotic - they had 5 pages worth of questions for me. The HR manager did not even have the decency to shake my hands upon leaving the interview. For future, be warm and friendly to your candidates, it sets the tone of the company. After the interview I decided not to pursue the company. If the interview felt like that and I do not want to experience the company/department on a whole.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the goals that you have accomplished in your personal life?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I found out about Wood Mackenzie at a career fair that I attended. Before approaching the recruiter I had already applied to the position and told him about it. He said he had an open spot for the on-site interview and that he would send me a numerical assessment before I could attend. I attended the career fair on Wednesday, received the assessment Friday, and went to the on-site interview Monday. I should have taken more time to practice for the assessment. It wasn't necessarily difficult but very fast paced. The interview Monday began with an individual presentation that we had to prepare. Each of the interviewees received their own room to prepare for the presentation (Don't get intimidated by the booklet with the background information since it's pretty long). We had to make a recommendation for a company and point out their areas of improvement. The company was a hypothetical Auto Insurance company. The second part involved writing two essays "Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc" The second essay was " discuss 3 present issues in the upstream energy industry". I would say really think about these questions before hand so you don't have to spend much time brainstorming. We had two interviews, a technical and behavioral one. The behavioral was really straightforward and relaxing. For the technical one, really make sure you are up to date with the energy industry news worldwide and financial analysis. Then we had lunch and received a presentation. We had the opportunity to ask more informal questions and get to know some of the younger employees. Finally, we had to analyze a manufacturing company and make a recommendation on how to operate for the day. We each had 30 minutes to read the background and problem statement. Then the same people from the technical interview came back and just watched us discuss and come up with the most efficient way to operate. Come mentally prepared for a very long day.

Interview Questions

• Who is the most important person in oil and gas? How do you calculate cash flows and interest rate? What has caused the price of the barrel of oil to fluctuate? How do you know when you have delivered a good presentation? 3 present issues in the upstream energy industry? Why do you want to work at Wood Mackenzie/ why are you a good fit, etc   Answer Question

Upstream Research Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

Phone interview followed by SHL numerical assessment. In person full day assessment consisting of an essay (why WoodMac? And energy related topic), HR interview, technical interview, presentation on a case and group presentation. Most stressful was the group presentation.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a difficult team you worked with. Tell me about a project that went well. How to design a DCF for oil well.   Answer Question

Account Manager/Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

HR pushes hard to schedule interviews. The process is typically two to three phases - phone interview, face to face, then more face to face with a 20-30 minute presentation requirement. Relatively friendly interview style - conversational mainly. They want to be sure that you are a cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the process is the group presentation. It can be quite stressful and require quite a bit of preparation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR makes the formal offer. They push back pretty firmly on the 1st request to negotiate. They are willing to pay a signing bonus vs. moving up on base salary offer.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

Hard to believe the people they hire people who pass the interview process and a test. Its like someone else must have taken the test because the young hires would be as good working in a Walmart as they do here.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how to value and gain a chemical company's as a client.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of: You have to write a short note on a current energy topic. You have a case study that you then have to present. You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees). You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would value an oil company? You have to take an IQ test.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

For the internship program there was only one interview which lasted about 45 minutes. The interview was conducted on campus, and consisted of mainly behavioral questions and inquiries about technical skills (excel, powerpoint, research) and understanding of oil and gas industry. Overall the interview was relaxed and informal. It seemed like the interviewer just wanted to get to know the candidate and determine if they possessed a strong knowledge foundation and general understanding and interest in the energy industry.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you could use the "vlookup" function in excel.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview. I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.