Wood Mackenzie Interview Questions

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.4

Account Manager/Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

HR pushes hard to schedule interviews. The process is typically two to three phases - phone interview, face to face, then more face to face with a 20-30 minute presentation requirement. Relatively friendly interview style - conversational mainly. They want to be sure that you are a cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part of the process is the group presentation. It can be quite stressful and require quite a bit of preparation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

HR makes the formal offer. They push back pretty firmly on the 1st request to negotiate. They are willing to pay a signing bonus vs. moving up on base salary offer.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

Hard to believe the people they hire people who pass the interview process and a test. Its like someone else must have taken the test because the young hires would be as good working in a Walmart as they do here.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how to value and gain a chemical company's as a client.   Answer Question

Upstream Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Phone interview and then a Super Day. Super Day consists of:

You have to write a short note on a current energy topic.
    You have a case study that you then have to present.
    You then have another case study that you have to present with a group (fellow interviewees).
    You then you have a technical interview as well as a behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would value an oil company?
      You have to take an IQ test.

1 Answer

Negotiation

They wouldn't budge on the salary.

Upstream Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

For the internship program there was only one interview which lasted about 45 minutes. The interview was conducted on campus, and consisted of mainly behavioral questions and inquiries about technical skills (excel, powerpoint, research) and understanding of oil and gas industry. Overall the interview was relaxed and informal. It seemed like the interviewer just wanted to get to know the candidate and determine if they possessed a strong knowledge foundation and general understanding and interest in the energy industry.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you could use the "vlookup" function in excel.   Answer Question

Upstream Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

I applied through online job posting and was called for an interview which was a full day process consisting of a Case analysis followed by presentation on the same, a team exercise where a group of managers observed the team interaction on an issue that needed to be addressed. there were two interviews a technical and behavioral interview.
    I got a call from HR with an offer in about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions were difficult and very industry specific, they had an element of future job tasks that a successful candidate would perform and resembled a case study interview with the Oil and Gas industry specifics viz. Well pressure and its properties, Project valuation and its components, characteristics of a Oil Rig and most significant factors affecting driling and completion activities, the well flow process etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate a lot since the offer was really good. Wood Mackenzie benefits are awesome and the bonus structure makes up for any difference in expected and actual base salary.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Wood Mackenzie in February 2014.

Interview

Recieved phone call for an interview. Interview consisted of 3 rounds. First round was behavorial. Asked, "What do you know about this company?". "Why do you want this position?" Strengths and Weaknesses, and "Tell about a time you worked as a team."

Upstream Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Wood Mackenzie.

Interview

Didn't go through first round of software based questions. Heavy statistics and data sorting with time limits.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Very detailed with many people involved. Presentation seems to be standard and the organization seeks feedback from larger team. Team seems strong and enthusiastic about services offered. Structure of interview is middle of the road in regard to length and complexity. Prepare prior and the interview will go well.

Energy Consultant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX).

Interview

Online test first

Half-day interview in Houston

45 minutes behavior questions, normal consulting questions
    30 minutes written test
    45 minutes case/presentation
    45 minutes technical interview

Upstream Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Wood Mackenzie (Houston, TX) in May 2013.

Interview

I was initially contacted by an HR rep to get background details and was asked a few questions based upon details of my resume to see if I would be a good fit for the position. Afterward, I was sent a link to take two aptitude tests online.

After I answered questions satisfactorily, I was then asked to fly to Houston for an interview. At the company, I was asked to wait in a small "huddle room" and told to wait for the other candidates to arrive before beginning. My first part of the interview was a 90-minute session preparing my recommendations for a fictionalized European insurance company on how to proceed based upon certain information. I had to present my conclusions and recommendations to 2 men who weren't the most social and it felt like I was the one having to steer the situation because they didn't say much.

The next interview was a technical interview where I was asked questions dealing with decline analysis, net present value, etc. The two men interviewing me were snide, arrogant, and condescending. This was undoubtedly the worst part of the process.

Afterward, I was interviewed by two HR reps with usual questions such as "what is your biggest weakness?" or "what is a time you provided excellent customer service?"

Then, I was given a 30 minute essay portion to answer 3 essay topics ranging from why I wanted to work at Wood Mackenzie, what are 3 trends in the upstream industry, and another question dealing with why I was a good fit for the position.

We had a group lunch (3 of the 5 candidates) and sat through a presentation of what Wood Mackenzie does as a company.

Following this, all of the candidates had a group project to act as managers for a manufacturing firm and to deal with problems presented in a scenario.

We then left after this portion.

Interview Questions

• Comparing discounted net present values in different situations and identifying which situation would have higher/lower discount rates.   Answer Question