Woodward

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.6

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Woodward.

Spoke with Woodward at a college career fair. Applied online and got an interview slot.

Interview was with one of the engineers working there as well as an HR rep. They made me feel really comfortable in the interview. I felt like my skills & experience matched up well with the job description and that I put my best food forward, but didn't get the job. I don't have the best grades so they probably found someone more qualified.

Interview Questions
    • "What was the hardest thing you have done as an engineer?"
      Shouldn't have been unexpected but I didn't have an answer prepared.

Answer Question

Engineer Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Woodward.

Interviewed by separate groups:

Phone interview followed resume submission
    Pretty standard stuff, resume questions, interests, why, etc

Followed by on-site interview
    Again, relatively standard, just more in depth, do not recall any tests, though they are used for certain job positions such as designers to check knowledge of GD&T and applicable CAD program
    On-site interview was split into three sections (all of which I would characterize as low pressure, just know the answers to the standard interview questions)
    First interview was with the hiring manager and program manager (on project being hired)
    Second, with peer engineers
    Third, with HR

HR and hiring manager followed up within a week and took about a week to accept/negotiate and started a couple weeks later (two week notice to current company).

Interview Questions
    Able to negotiate a reasonable cash lump sum in place of moving assistance. Regret not working harder on the vacation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took no more than 2 weeks. I was hired as a contract and later as a member. All of the questions were behavioral questions.

Supplier Quality Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Woodward.

Woodward pulls together groups of people who may or may not be working with the individual being interviewed. On the surface, it appears that everyone gets to vote on the person; however, the HR representative in the meeting sweeps things around so that whatever the highest-ranked individual in the room said is what they claim the overall consensus is.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were completely out of the book: When have you solved a problem with a supplier? When did you have a key issue with an internal customer where you were at a standoff, and how did you solve the issue. What is the most important way to work with suppliers.   View Answer
    The negotiation phase consisted of the HR representative stating what the offer was. When I asked for something different, she reiterated the offer. When I asked if I could speak with the hiring manager, she said that I could not. When I stated that it sounds as if there were no negotiation phase in place, she said that I could ask, but nothing would change. I summarized: One week extra vacation - NO; 5,000 extra dollars/year - NO; working at home one day/week - NO. Woodward is not a company that could be known for supporting any type of flexible hours for employees (except where the boss and employee are friends, and they do things behind the backs of others).

Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Woodward in March 2014.

Interview went well-panel of 5.Various groups present from supply chain, engineering manufacturing cells Interview scheduled for 2 hours and lasted for 5. I had to excuse myself No feedback after that.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Woodward in May 2013.

Submitted a resume through the school and on their website. Was called for a phone interview which was really easy and fast. An employee referred me so it is probably why I was called into an actual interview. The interview was mainly behavioral questions with 4 engineers and an HR representative.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a ton of projects given to you that needed to be completed by the end of the week and there was no way for you to complete them all what would you do? (Was supposedly a trick question)   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Woodward in October 2011.

First contact was a phone interview, which went well and I highly matched all the criteria they were seeking.

A few days later I went in for a live person-to-person interview. Everyone was pleasant and the interview process was nothing to be nervous about - it was very laid back.

Interview Questions
    • This was a small c function that returns a pointer to a character in a buffer. Find the problem.   View Answer
    • You are asked to write a one line function that performs some trivial task, I forget what though.   View Answer
    • This was a challenging question and most people don't get it - including me.

Setup:

There is a UART driver for a 32-bit processor. The tx/rx byte is the most significant byte (MSB) of the 32-bit word at some address, say 0x0400. To write to the UART, place your data byte in the MSB at address 0x0400 and it will be sent. Likewise, to read the received data, read the MSB at address 0x0400.

A struct is created:

struct uartRxTx {
           int RxTx : 8;
           int DontCare: 24;
      } uint32_t;

What is the problem with this?

View Answer

I received a very good offer and great benefits, and if I was currently unemployed I would have accepted. But I am self-employed doing independent contracting, which has amazing benefits as well, and great pay.

The company has a very traditional hierarchy of baby-boomer program managers and engineers. The building is huge, old, and the tiny cubicles look like they were from 50 years ago. I read other reviews about the company on here and I don't think it fits my contemporary views of what type of workplace I would like to perform in.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Collins, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Woodward in September 2011.

I was treated well. The job was interesting. I liked the company. Interview went well. They said I was overqualified. No offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you will to take this job? Isn't this below you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Woodward in August 2011.

The first part of the interview process was a 15 minute phone interview briefly discussing my resume and why I wanted to work for the company. Within a couple week I was invited for an onsite panel interview. It consisted of five people. This interview consisted of going over my resume in depth and asking me questions about my college education. They also asked me general behavioral questions such as what are my strengths and weaknesses, how I work in a team, and what are my career goals. Everyone was extremely nice and professional and put me at ease.

Interview Questions
    • Do you prefer approaching problems from an analytical or hands on viewpoint?   Answer Question

Enterance Leavel Mechanical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Woodward in June 2011.

A Job fair at the location with pre- reregistration online with a filled out application. Arrived 45 minutes early to find about 50 people before me in line outside. At the schedule's starting time they started letting one person in at a time about every 20 to 30 seconds. Once let through the gate 50 feet in, but still outside your are checked to see if you preregistered and filled out the application in advance. After that they have you walk to the other side of the building, inside, to a table with last names divided into about 5 groups (A-F G-L, etc.) find your line, and wait to talk to the person sitting at the table. He pulled my file and told me I did not qualify for the position I applied for! I asked "what if any position do i qualify for" and he said "I do not have your application here so I do not know what you are qualified for, but thank you for coming in." I was shocked and confused wondering if this was some sort of a trick to weed out people that are not aggressive or ? What a waste of time!