Woodward Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.7

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Woodward.

Interview

Started with a phone screen, followed by an on-site interview with the hiring manager and 2-3 team members. The questions were pertinent but not intimidating at all. It was a relaxing environment overall.

Interview Questions

• If you are prepared for typical questions including behavioral questions and know your job you should be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They do not low ball you like many companies would. It was the right offer and I accepted.

SAP Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Woodward (Fort Collins, CO).

Interview

3.5 hours long. Interviewed with 8 different people(4at one time for the first hour). Asked standard interview questions. I felt as though I didn't have a chance because when I was graduating did not fit there time line. They should have made that known before I took 3.5 hours off of work. Cold have been brought up in phone screen. But good practice anyway

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Woodward (Skokie, IL) in December 2014.

Interview

Started with a phone screening that lasted about 1/2 hr and then followed up with an on-site interview with 3-4 managers/employees for a few hours. Everyone was professional and answered all my questions clearly.

Interview Questions

• Asked typical interview questions about how you handled certain situations on the job.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Woodward.

Interview

Spoke with Woodward at a college career fair. Applied online and got an interview slot. Interview was with one of the engineers working there as well as an HR rep. They made me feel really comfortable in the interview. I felt like my skills & experience matched up well with the job description and that I put my best food forward, but didn't get the job. I don't have the best grades so they probably found someone more qualified.

Interview Questions

• "What was the hardest thing you have done as an engineer?" Shouldn't have been unexpected but I didn't have an answer prepared.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Woodward.

Interview

Interviewed by separate groups: Phone interview followed resume submission Pretty standard stuff, resume questions, interests, why, etc Followed by on-site interview Again, relatively standard, just more in depth, do not recall any tests, though they are used for certain job positions such as designers to check knowledge of GD&T and applicable CAD program On-site interview was split into three sections (all of which I would characterize as low pressure, just know the answers to the standard interview questions) First interview was with the hiring manager and program manager (on project being hired) Second, with peer engineers Third, with HR HR and hiring manager followed up within a week and took about a week to accept/negotiate and started a couple weeks later (two week notice to current company).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Able to negotiate a reasonable cash lump sum in place of moving assistance. Regret not working harder on the vacation

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took no more than 2 weeks. I was hired as a contract and later as a member. All of the questions were behavioral questions.

Supplier Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Woodward.

Interview

Woodward pulls together groups of people who may or may not be working with the individual being interviewed. On the surface, it appears that everyone gets to vote on the person; however, the HR representative in the meeting sweeps things around so that whatever the highest-ranked individual in the room said is what they claim the overall consensus is.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were completely out of the book: When have you solved a problem with a supplier? When did you have a key issue with an internal customer where you were at a standoff, and how did you solve the issue. What is the most important way to work with suppliers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiation phase consisted of the HR representative stating what the offer was. When I asked for something different, she reiterated the offer. When I asked if I could speak with the hiring manager, she said that I could not. When I stated that it sounds as if there were no negotiation phase in place, she said that I could ask, but nothing would change. I summarized: One week extra vacation - NO; 5,000 extra dollars/year - NO; working at home one day/week - NO. Woodward is not a company that could be known for supporting any type of flexible hours for employees (except where the boss and employee are friends, and they do things behind the backs of others).

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Woodward in March 2014.

Interview

Interview went well-panel of 5.Various groups present from supply chain, engineering manufacturing cells Interview scheduled for 2 hours and lasted for 5. I had to excuse myself No feedback after that.

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Woodward (Fort Collins, CO) in May 2013.

Interview

Submitted a resume through the school and on their website. Was called for a phone interview which was really easy and fast. An employee referred me so it is probably why I was called into an actual interview. The interview was mainly behavioral questions with 4 engineers and an HR representative.

Interview Questions

• If you had a ton of projects given to you that needed to be completed by the end of the week and there was no way for you to complete them all what would you do? (Was supposedly a trick question)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Woodward (Skokie, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

First contact was a phone interview, which went well and I highly matched all the criteria they were seeking. A few days later I went in for a live person-to-person interview. Everyone was pleasant and the interview process was nothing to be nervous about - it was very laid back.

Interview Questions

• This was a small c function that returns a pointer to a character in a buffer. Find the problem.   1 Answer
    • You are asked to write a one line function that performs some trivial task, I forget what though.   1 Answer
    • This was a challenging question and most people don't get it - including me. Setup: There is a UART driver for a 32-bit processor. The tx/rx byte is the most significant byte (MSB) of the 32-bit word at some address, say 0x0400. To write to the UART, place your data byte in the MSB at address 0x0400 and it will be sent. Likewise, to read the received data, read the MSB at address 0x0400. A struct is created: struct uartRxTx { int RxTx : 8; int DontCare: 24; } uint32_t; What is the problem with this?   1 Answer

I received a very good offer and great benefits, and if I was currently unemployed I would have accepted. But I am self-employed doing independent contracting, which has amazing benefits as well, and great pay. The company has a very traditional hierarchy of baby-boomer program managers and engineers. The building is huge, old, and the tiny cubicles look like they were from 50 years ago. I read other reviews about the company on here and I don't think it fits my contemporary views of what type of workplace I would like to perform in.