WorkForce Software Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at WorkForce Software in November 2014.

Interview

There really isn't any way to prepare for an interview here. You could have a successful track record in the space, with 10 years of experience, but if the 15 minutes you spend answering the Sales Directors seemingly random and nonsensical questions doesn't jive, you're done. I literally LOST money interviewing with this place.

I understand why a company this small in the HCM space would want everyone under the sun to be involved with the hiring process, but limiting your talent pool based purely on the Sale's Director that has been in the HCM space for less then five years and I guess his "gut feeling" of a candidate is ridiculous. I spoke to this guy twice and asked him interview questions back, which he DIDN'T like.

Interview Questions

• Why a candidate like me would ask so many questions during the interview?   1 Answer

Software Engineer (Entry Level) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2014.

Interview

The company brought devs and recruiters to a campus job fair. I chatted with a dev at the job fair and submitted my resume there. I received a follow up email from their recruiter setting up a phone screen with their recruiter. The phone screen took about 20 minutes and consisted of the recruiter asking me pretty simple algorithms and data structures questions. After that phone screen I was requested to submit transcripts to the company and was asked to setup a phone screen with one of their hiring managers. The phone screen with the hiring manager took about 30 minutes and had some slightly more difficult technical questions. A few days after completing the second phone interview I was asked to come to an onsite interview at their office in Ann Arbor. The interview at the office consisted of a short behavioral interview with the hiring manager and a developer who had worked there for a few years. Following the behavioral interview was a white-boarding question and then they sat me down at a computer and presented some Java code for me to optimize. The whole interview was about three and a half hours long.

None of the interview questions were horribly difficult but I definitely couldn't see myself working there, the culture wasn't a good fit for me. In the office there was probably 15-20 developers but I only interacted with the two interviewers, no one seemed very approachable or social, everyone looked like they just kept their heads down and did their work. The hiring manager and developer I talked to also didn't do a great job on selling the position. I know SaaS isn't exciting but you have to get candidates excited about the challenging problems you're working on at your company, I'm definitely not going to want to work somewhere where I'll be bored.

The interview process up until the on site interview was organized and pretty straightforward but when I came onsite and after that point the company was very unorganized. I drove about 4.5 hours from school to get to the office and the interview started immediately when I got there (I don't think anyone can interview well after sitting in a car for 4.5 hours). There was no offer of a meal of any kind (but they did get Jimmy Johns delivered randomly and I was offered that, good thing I'm not a vegetarian). There was no itinerary of what to expect when I arrived, no offer to provide a hotel to stay at, and no advice on where to park. I informed the hiring manager and the recruiter I already had an awesome offer available to me from another company but they made no rush to give me a decision before the deadline, the fact they didn't seem to care was a red flag.

The biggest issue I had with this hiring process was that I received zero reimbursement for travel, parking, or food. This is a serious issue when I end up traveling over 500 miles round trip (about 9 hours of driving). I provided my mileage and receipts for parking but when I contacted the recruiter about reimbursement multiple times, I received no reply. Had I known I wouldn't be reimbursed to travel that far I definitely would have turned down the on site interview.

Interview Questions

• Questions on data structures: Linked list, Trees, Hash Tables. A few basic OS/threading questions.   Answer Question

Applications Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at WorkForce Software.

Interview

Interviewed with a team of people. Asked typical questions and resume information

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WorkForce Software.

Interview

Found a posting online for an entry level Software Developer position. After initial email contact with the representative, we set up a phone interview for the next week. The phone interview was a lot of standard questions about past experience, with explanations of stressful and difficult situations the interviewee has had in the past. Went through questions such as "What made this project successful?" and "When have you had to step up to cover for someone else?". Towards the end of the interview, there are a few technical questions, nothing too difficult, however.

There is a second round of interviews more focused on technical questions. I did not make it to that round, however.

Interview Questions

• What are the advantages of using a linked list over an array?

What is an advantage of a doubly linked list over a singly linked list?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WorkForce Software in June 2013.

Interview

I applied online and Initially I was contact by telephone. In the first interview, they asked questions primarily about my background, and experience. The second interview was a technical interview that was conducted over the phone. The technical interview is very difficult, especially if you are entry-level. My suggestion is to review data structures and algorithms very carefully before you get to the technical interview.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a MAP and a HASHMAP? How to program a spade game?   1 Answer

Applications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Livonia, MI) in January 2013.

Interview

The interview process went fairly quick. I applied online and within a couple of weeks I received an email requesting that I take an exam giving you 7 minutes to answer up to 30 vocabulary and math questions. Within the following business day I had a phone interview scheduled, shortly followed by a face-to-face interview. When I arrived I noticed I was the only person dressed in business attire. The environment seemed friendly and relaxed. The first part of the interview was me taking another exam, which I was told everyone gets regardless of which position they interview for. I then met with a panel of three people, including the hiring manager. After that, I was scheduled to meet with someone in upper management but he had already left the office for the day. Less than a week later I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Given software code, figure out what will prevent the program from running and make modifications to reach different results. For example, given software code for a fibonacci sequence, change it to a tribonacci sequence.   Answer Question

I declined the offer because it was for less money than what I had already made. In order to negotiate I had to come in to meet with a VP. He insulted me a bit, and it seemed more like he was trying to talk me out of accepting the offer than anything else. We never even discussed the money. At that point my impression of the company had changed and so I declined the offer.

Configuration Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Livonia, MI) in September 2012.

Interview

I posted for the job and was contacted to do a phone interview. After a couple days a on-site interview was scheduled. The on-site interview started with an assessment (programming questions), then followed by meeting with 2 managers and finally meeting with the Director of HR.

Interview Questions

• Must be able to detect programming errors and answer programming questions (Fibonacci Algorithm)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Livonia, MI) in June 2012.

Interview

Met the company at a booth at a career fair, where someone asked me a few basic questions about programming and my experience in college and previous jobs. After beign satisfied I generally knew what I was doing, they took my resume and directed me to apply for a given position online. Two phone screens from different recruiters happened next, both of which were an even split of personal and technical questions. Most likely this got a feel if I was fairly smart, had a good background, and was personable enough to fit into the company's culture. After that I was scheduled for the final, onsite interview, which was a very detailed technical interview involving white board algorithm solving, and practical algorithm development on a computer.

Interview Questions

• Intricate algorithm questions, and then expectation of implementation on the fly   Answer Question

Negotiation

They gave an extremely reasonable offer, and I accepted in a few days, after weighing against other offers.

Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Livonia, MI) in June 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who asked for my resume, upon review they requested a telephone interview that was conducted a week later and lasted one hour and twenty minutes. The interview focused on my background and past experiences that were similar to the role I was applying for. The recruiter was very friendly, professional and easy to talk with. At the end of the interview I was told the notes would be shared with others and we would most likely conduct a second telephone interview. After two weeks of my calls and emails being ignored I finally received a voice mail that a second telephone interview was not going to be scheduled. No additional information or comments were given and my follow up phone calls and emails went unanswered.

Solutions Delivery Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at WorkForce Software (Livonia, MI) in April 2009.

Interview

Interview process was designed to find out what candidates are good at and candidates are bad at. You are asked about the things that you have been good at. They tell you a lot about this program in the interview process and they really want to know why you think you would be a good candidate.

Negotiation

Negotiations were not possible. There was a firm offer and they were not willing to budge.