Workday Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.7

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Workday (Dublin, CA).

Interview

Applied online, then did a brief phone screen with the hiring manager, then invited to onsite interview with 5 or 6 people. The recruiter was incredibly non-responsive, and trying to schedule a time to visit Workday was a pain, even though I had pretty open availability.

Once I arrived on site, at least 3 interviewers were 15+ minutes late for their time block, even though the sessions were only supposed to be 30 minutes each. A few people left the 30 minutes early also. This just gave me an overall bad taste in my mouth, as it showed they didn't respect or value my time. One interviewer didn't even engage with me at all, and just sat there waiting for me to answer questions and try to fill the 30 minute time block as best I could.

Despite all this, towards the end I was feeling pretty positive about my chances. The hiring manager event went on to say that they'd show me around the office when I came back next time (which, of course, led me to believe I was being invited back). A few days later I get an email from the recruiter telling me that they're moving on with other candidates.

Overall a very frustrating and dissatisfying experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't really geared toward design much at all, the focus was much more about a personality fit.   Answer Question

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

I went to a college job fair and talked to one of the recruiting teams. Unfortunately, I did not hear back from the team I talked with, however my friend who works there referred me to all positions.
    Four weeks later, I got an email saying they were reviewing my application.

A day later, I received an email asking for me to contact them to see if I was available for a phone interview.
    I got a 30 minute phone interview a few days later. The interviewer was extremely nice and we connected pretty well. He asked me about background info, my resume, and my projects. He also asked me if I had experience in Java and knew information about OOP and UML.

That following week I got a follow up from my recruiter.

Solution Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me on Linkedin. Interview with the recruiter and few weeks later with the director. Was then invited for an onsite presentation. When I went on site I was interviewed by 4 peers first and then I did a presentation one of the topics they had provided ( some advance feature of Excel).

Interview Questions

• Background type question. How did you handle a difficult customer? Multiple questions about culture. How do you have fun at work?   2 Answers

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

meet the HR at campus career fair, scheduled a on campus interview on the next day, pass it. Scheduled an onsite interview.

The onsite interview consists of 4 back to back 45 minutes interview, most questions were behavioral. Only one of the interviews was pure technical, the rest are mostly behavioral.

After the onsite interview I was told that I could expect the feedback within 2-3 days. However I never heard them back and had to send email to ask for feedback. Rejection. "Thanks but no thanks." I guess that's what most HR are like, very friendly at the beginning, and just don't bother dealing with candidates once the interview is completed.

The reason for rejection is kinda surprising, the recruiter told me I need too much help and coaching to get a working solution. Per my understanding candidates should always ask questions and engaging conversation with the interviewer.I could just shut up and do the coding myself and don't talk at all, but I know that's not how technical interviews work and communication skills is also very important. However I never anticipate this would become the reason for rejection.

The result was really disappointing as I thought I did really well for all interviews.Overall the onsite interview was a good experience, most interviewers were very friendly and easy going. The interviwer for the only technical interview was not that approachable. No offense to him and it is nothing personal, but he didn't seem interested at me or the interview at all, I felt that all he wanted is finishing the interview and get out of the room.

I feel the interview is not really skill based but luck based, if your technical interviewer has a relatively dry temper, in a bad mood or having an off day, you are basically screwed. I talked to all the SDE candidates on that day, all of us get rejected.

Pros:
    Overall very good experience
    Candidates are young, passionate and talented
    laid back company culture

Cons:
    Mostly behavioral questions
    Only 1 technical interview(kinda luck based)
    HR don't bother dealing with you after the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Workday in March 2015.

Interview

Met Workday at College Career Fair, then submitted application. Heard back saying I had a phone interview, and asking me for times, then never got back to me. I am currently emailing them to see why I haven't heard back.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Workday.

Interview

Submitted résumé and within 1-2 weeks received a call from the in-house recruiter. Last about 30 mins. It went well. I was then scheduled for a peer interview before the hiring manager. Which I thought was rather odd. But ok. Well low and behold it was a disaster ! She was merely pencil wiping the interview and going through the motions. She was not interested in me at all. Needless to say I never got to the hiring manager. Sorta a bum deal.

Interview Questions

• Explain what what project management techniques you have used before   Answer Question

HCM Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA).

Interview

A "somewhat" lengthy interview process between Recruiter and Hiring Managers.

A lot of redundant questions that were not all that different from other companies.

Different expectations and direction from both Recruiter and Hiring Managers as to what was going to be "covered" during the interview process. i.e., what will be asked by each interviewer.

Multiple phone interviews spread out over weeks. That was somewhat frustrating since most unemployed people do not have disposable income to fancy months of interviewing time. This process could have been more organized and consolidated since there were multiple interviews with the same interviewers. A bit of "arrogance" in the importance of their time verses any possible hardship on the other end of the process.

In-person interviews at multiple locations with the same (and a few additional) interviewers.

I was asked to come up with an "ambiguous presentation" for one interview session. Very open ended request (which I took as the actual "test") but I like those type of challenging tasks so that went very well.

Take a lot of notes and do your homework on your interviewers.

Keep track of the questions they are asking and stay true to yourself and your answers. I can only surmise the redundancies are somehow linked to making sure you are giving the same answers and presenting the same values to everyone in the process.

Interview Questions

• Only one interview question stood out and it wasn't actually that "out of the norm". I was asked what was most important to me from a "management" perspective.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

Interview at on-campus career fair, then was scheduled to come on-site to for interviews. Had 4 interviews of around 45 mins each, with lunch provided. Overall, relatively easy interview. Some talk about items on my resume, and actually had some pretty interesting conversations related to items on it. All interviewers were very friendly, and I felt comfortable through the entire process.

Associate Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

First Round: On campus Interview. 45 mins. Two probability questions, one programming question. General questions about machine learning algorithms. One on one interview. Relaxed and comfortable, guide you through the process. White boarding. Programming language: choose the one you feel comfortable with. I chose Python. Basic probability questions concerning combinatorics and conditional probability.

Interview Questions

• Russian roulette. Should I spin the revolver if I did not get killed after the first shot.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Workday.

Interview

Only had a 45 minutes on-campus interview. Not too hard. Just basic questions. Probably because it was just a pre-select interview and it was for internship. Interviewer was very friendly and it was a pleasant experience.