Workday Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.7

Technical Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I have a Computer Science degree and about 20 years of industry experience, including Software Engineer, pre and post sales Systems Engineer/ Professional Services, and for the last 8 or 9 years as a Technical Instructor who virtually always gets good reviews from students. I was discarded as a candidate by someone with a degree in History, and seemingly no technical background. The HR people only notified me that I was no longer being considered for the role. When I asked for a reason, there was no response. A week later I was contacted through LinkedIn by another HR person there about another similar position. I agreed to have the conversation, and again the communications went dead. This place seems like a cronie network for former PeopleSoft employees. Internal communications between HR personel didn't seem that good.

Interview Questions

• Whether I had only taught about XML, or if I had actually used it as a matter of job function.   Answer Question

Technical Trainer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Initially contacted by third party recruiter trying to place someone in a technical training position with Workday for a mostly virtual training position. After being handed off to a Workday recruiter was interviewed by another recruiter. Then the hiring manager, then another technical trainer. Five different interviews and at no time did I hear "forget about it". In the end turned down with a friendly email.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with integration of ERP type of systems   1 Answer

Associate Software Engineer (Generation Workday) Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I got a referral from a friend who works there.
    - 1 phone screen from recruiter
    - 1 technical phone interview
    - 1 onsite full day interview

They're very nice and really care about the people they interview, and you feel that when you get an onsite. They're interested in how well you'll fit in the company, more than how much you know.

Interview Questions

• Very basic stuff. They'll also test you on OOP concepts, so know your classes, abstraction etc. They're more interested in how well you fit with the company, so they have more behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Workday (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Met a couple Software Engineers at Career Fair. Explained a little bit about myself to them and they moved me to an on-university campus interview. After that, I moved on to a the campus interview which composed of around 5 interviews. I interviewed with the director, a manager, a software engineer, and two 1st and second year engineers.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral. The only technical part was very simple (reverse a string). You do this first by changing the string in place and then using recursion.   1 Answer

Associate Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Workday (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me via email I think through college and university. Initial phone interview consisted of a couple regular behavioral questions and some technical. Asked what's a confidence interval and what does it represent. Asked to open up a pair programming website and asked how to merge two sorted arrays.

Next step was an on-site interview. This was a whole days worth of thirty minutes each with a different interviewer. Each interviewer jumped into the technical questions immediately with absolutely no room for chit chat. Very different from other Workday interviews on Glassdoor that are more culture fit because of the use of learning Expresso, you get the sense that the data science team is exempt from that and is testing really for pure skill.

Questions:

Statistics and Machine Learning
    - AB testing on a website
    - Anova testing
    - Explain naive bayes, map reduce, cross validation, how would you tag specific documents
    - Boosting question given an array

Coding:
    - Find the top m words in an array
    - Find multiplication pairs for a specific n value
    - Sorting an array of integers

Overall a good experience although it took a long time for them to get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Given a huge collection of books, how would you tag each book based on genre?   Answer Question

Data Science Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Workday (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Got the interview from on campus career fair. This was an on campus in person interview. Question varies from data structure, algorithm to machine learning.And pros and cons of each method class.It took about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter who collected some reference information. Phone screening by VP of development. I was later suppose to have another phone interview with director of development but it did not happen. Instead they called me in the office for a 5 hr interview process. Well planned interview process with different members to the team and a demo at the end.

Interview Questions

• One that stumbled me was - Explain a project that went south.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Interview

It was an all day event, where I sat in a conference room, and different employees came in and out and interviewed me for 30 mins. Each on different topics. DON'T BE INTIMIDATED! They're just people! Workday is very laid back, so they just want to have a conversation with you.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you wish you would've done things differently   Answer Question

Position In Marketing Interview

Interview

I applied for a position there (with plenty recommendations), and the process was super slow to put it nicely. I have never experienced an over 6 month interview process... I got several offers before anything happened, I end up taking another opportunity
    No difficult questions, we had great questions and great conversations, but the process was overall way too slow.

Associate Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Workday.

Interview

Met with a recruiter on campus who expressed interest in me. I received a call that night for an on campus interview the next day. The interview was roughly 30 minutes and focused around some object oriented design. I heard back in about 2 weeks that I would move onto final round interviews.

My recruiter was fantastic and very helpful in organizing everything. The full day interview is very long, lasting from 8:00AM - 4:00PM. There was a 1 hour technical interview which focused on UML and object oriented design. The rest was cultural fit and behavioral questions. As a Master's student with a good sense of what I want to do and what I'm passionate about, the behavioral part was a breeze. Everyone was also really on board with the Workday mission and I could tell it was a company where people loved their work and were proud of it. The rest of the day was learning about Workday, its culture, and other comp. and benefits details.

I received a verbal offer after 2 weeks. Because of my Masters degree and the VP of my division expressing interest in me, I was bumped up to Senior Associate Applications Developer. I negotiated the cash salary a little further and then accepted the offer. I can't wait to start!

Interview Questions

• Nothing too difficult. Design a Netflix queue with UML.   Answer Question