World Resources Institute

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.8

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at World Resources Institute.

phone interview, checking with background and related experience. about 30 min

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at World Resources Institute.

Met hiring manager at UN conference on climate change, establish connection.
    Applied internship online and went through 3 phone interviews and one in-person interview.
    In-person interview is rare for intern candidates that are non-DC residents. However, if you can travel to DC this is highly recommended.

Interview Questions
    Applied for two internships, got both of them. No negotiation on hourly rate.

Research Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2013.

Online application. Interview process started one month later. Two rounds of interview. First interview was with an Associate and the second one was with the Senior Associate. People were really nice. Two weeks after the last interview they offered me the internship.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question: what was the most difficult/unexpected situation you had to handle at work?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate the hour rate. However, I recommend doing it after they offer the position.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute in June 2011.

A phone interview followed by two in-person interviews and a writing assignment (on site). The phone interview was with just an HR person, the first in-person interview with a group of 5 (one of them was video-conferenced in) from various departments of the Institute, including HR and Communications.
    The interviews were very standard but pleasant.
    The third interview included a 30-minute talk with an HR rep about salary and benefits. At the end of the third interview, I was given a scientific text and asked to write a press release about it. The assignment itself was easy but it had a "high school exam" feel to it, which I found inappropriate for a professional organization in Washington DC.
    However, the most inappropriate aspect of the interview/hiring process was that after the third interview, I was told I was one of two candidates left in the running, and asked to submit references - which they never checked.

Interview Questions
    • The interviews were really standard, including questions about your greatest strengths and weaknesses. One question I found interesting was that I was asked how much push-back (in form of promotions, salary raises, etc) they should expect from my current employer if I were to leave for WRI.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2011.

Asked some behavior questions and let me express my thinking of their current project.
    Asked me what date I can start to work. But they need someone to start pretty quick and I can't finish my current project. That's the reason I didn't get in.
    The interview was easy. And the people were friendly. Must be nice to work with if there was no time conflict.

Interview Questions
    • Are you better in working independently or as a team?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at World Resources Institute in March 2011.

-Met the recruiter in person before the job becomes available
    -Applied online through the careers portal when it did
    -Went through a group phone interview approx. 3 weeks later
    -In-person interview at hq a month after with 4 team members
    -Short writing test (1-2 pages in 24 hours)
    -Reference check
    -Offer and negotations

If you're interested in moving up from an intern into a full-time staff, let the hiring manager know from the beginning of the offer/negotiation phase that you're interested in working with them long term.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute in March 2011.

I first had an interview by skype. They then contacted me about a week later for an in-person interview, which consisted of an hour-long interview with the project manager and an hour-long interview with three other people working on the project.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were fairly standard. Make sure you know about both the technical issues that you will be dealing with in the job and why you want to work for the organisation.   Answer Question
    Yes. Always ask, but remember constraints of project budgets when considering what to negotiate for.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at World Resources Institute in January 2010.

Recruiter telephone interview and writing sample

International Climate Policy Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2009.

I only had a phone interview. It was a cold call; I thought I was returning a call to set up an actual meeting, but ended up having an in-depth interview over the phone. Questions were pretty standard - asked me about my background, different experiences listed on my resume and why I wanted this position. Also, how my particular skills would be an asset for the job.

Interview Questions
    • no specific question - it was more that I was unprepared because there was no indication that there would be an interview when I was returning a voicemail.   Answer Question

Environmental Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute in January 2009.

Did initial phone screening interview with lower level employee. Did another phone interview with two higher level employees. After a week was asked to come in for a full day interview with 6 people. Was flown in and put up in hotel during process which took about 3/4 of the day to complete. One week later received offer letter, contract and phone call about position with 2 weeks to respond yes or no.

Interview Questions
    Limited negotiation. WRI has very limited resources to pay so there isn't much movement that can take place.