World Resources Institute Interview Questions

Updated Apr 17, 2015

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process required 2 panel interviews and an intensive writing assignment, which was quite a lot considering the level of job they were hiring for. At the end I had the impression that an internal candidate was in line for the position. No feedback was given as to why an offer wasn't made.

Water Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

The phone interview took less than half an hour. Two of their program associates conducted the interview with me. Questions were closely related to the qualifications and past experience. Asked about internship experience, writing and programming skill.

Interview Questions

• Your experience in using geospatial analysis tool during your internship   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute in February 2015.

Interview

Had a 20 minute one-on-one phone interview followed by two in person interviews. Each of the in person interviews were with 2-3 people; there was no one-on-one. A short writing test was giving at the first in person interview. Things moved very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time...
      Explain how you...
      What do you think you'd bring to this position?
      How do you think your current coworkers would describe your working style?

Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Interview

The interview process Took three weeks. Phone interview then there was a skype/in person interview, and then I had to take a writing test. The staff was very nice and I felt comfortable.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Very quick response after applying, set up phone interview at end of the week, in-person interview the next week, followed by a standard writing test that required some knowledge. Friendly and personable interview staff, but firm and challenging questions. Enjoyed the process but there was kind a bit of wait time in between each step.

Interview Questions

• What would you find particularly easy and difficult in this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself as pertains to this position   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview

phone interview, checking with background and related experience. about 30 min

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC).

Interview

Met hiring manager at UN conference on climate change, establish connection.
    Applied internship online and went through 3 phone interviews and one in-person interview.
    In-person interview is rare for intern candidates that are non-DC residents. However, if you can travel to DC this is highly recommended.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Applied for two internships, got both of them. No negotiation on hourly rate.

Research Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2013.

Interview

Online application. Interview process started one month later. Two rounds of interview. First interview was with an Associate and the second one was with the Senior Associate. People were really nice. Two weeks after the last interview they offered me the internship.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral question: what was the most difficult/unexpected situation you had to handle at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the hour rate. However, I recommend doing it after they offer the position.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in June 2011.

Interview

A phone interview followed by two in-person interviews and a writing assignment (on site). The phone interview was with just an HR person, the first in-person interview with a group of 5 (one of them was video-conferenced in) from various departments of the Institute, including HR and Communications.
    The interviews were very standard but pleasant.
    The third interview included a 30-minute talk with an HR rep about salary and benefits. At the end of the third interview, I was given a scientific text and asked to write a press release about it. The assignment itself was easy but it had a "high school exam" feel to it, which I found inappropriate for a professional organization in Washington DC.
    However, the most inappropriate aspect of the interview/hiring process was that after the third interview, I was told I was one of two candidates left in the running, and asked to submit references - which they never checked.

Interview Questions

• The interviews were really standard, including questions about your greatest strengths and weaknesses. One question I found interesting was that I was asked how much push-back (in form of promotions, salary raises, etc) they should expect from my current employer if I were to leave for WRI.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at World Resources Institute (Washington, DC) in May 2011.

Interview

Asked some behavior questions and let me express my thinking of their current project.
    Asked me what date I can start to work. But they need someone to start pretty quick and I can't finish my current project. That's the reason I didn't get in.
    The interview was easy. And the people were friendly. Must be nice to work with if there was no time conflict.

Interview Questions

• Are you better in working independently or as a team?   1 Answer