World Resources Institute

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Interview process started one month later. Two rounds of interview. First interview was with an Associate and the second one was with the Senior Associate. People were really nice. Two weeks after the last interview they offered me the internship.

Interview Question – Behavioral question: what was the most difficult/unexpected situation you had to handle at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate the hour rate. However, I recommend doing it after they offer the position.

Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview Details – phone interview, checking with background and related experience. about 30 min

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at World Resources Institute.

Interview Details – Met hiring manager at UN conference on climate change, establish connection.
Applied internship online and went through 3 phone interviews and one in-person interview.
In-person interview is rare for intern candidates that are non-DC residents. However, if you can travel to DC this is highly recommended.

Interview Question – n/a   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Applied for two internships, got both of them. No negotiation on hourly rate.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at World Resources Institute in March 2011.

Interview Details – -Met the recruiter in person before the job becomes available
-Applied online through the careers portal when it did
-Went through a group phone interview approx. 3 weeks later
-In-person interview at hq a month after with 4 team members
-Short writing test (1-2 pages in 24 hours)
-Reference check
-Offer and negotations

Negotiation Details – If you're interested in moving up from an intern into a full-time staff, let the hiring manager know from the beginning of the offer/negotiation phase that you're interested in working with them long term.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2011.

Interview Details – Asked some behavior questions and let me express my thinking of their current project.
Asked me what date I can start to work. But they need someone to start pretty quick and I can't finish my current project. That's the reason I didn't get in.
The interview was easy. And the people were friendly. Must be nice to work with if there was no time conflict.

Interview Question – Are you better in working independently or as a team?   View Answer

Washington, DC

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at World Resources Institute in March 2011.

Interview Details – I first had an interview by skype. They then contacted me about a week later for an in-person interview, which consisted of an hour-long interview with the project manager and an hour-long interview with three other people working on the project.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly standard. Make sure you know about both the technical issues that you will be dealing with in the job and why you want to work for the organisation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes. Always ask, but remember constraints of project budgets when considering what to negotiate for.

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
Washington, DC

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at World Resources Institute in January 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiter telephone interview and writing sample

Environmental Interview

Environmental
Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at World Resources Institute in January 2009.

Interview Details – Did initial phone screening interview with lower level employee. Did another phone interview with two higher level employees. After a week was asked to come in for a full day interview with 6 people. Was flown in and put up in hotel during process which took about 3/4 of the day to complete. One week later received offer letter, contract and phone call about position with 2 weeks to respond yes or no.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Limited negotiation. WRI has very limited resources to pay so there isn't much movement that can take place.

International Climate Policy Internship Interview

International Climate Policy Internship
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at World Resources Institute in May 2009.

Interview Details – I only had a phone interview. It was a cold call; I thought I was returning a call to set up an actual meeting, but ended up having an in-depth interview over the phone. Questions were pretty standard - asked me about my background, different experiences listed on my resume and why I wanted this position. Also, how my particular skills would be an asset for the job.

Interview Question – no specific question - it was more that I was unprepared because there was no indication that there would be an interview when I was returning a voicemail.   Answer Question

GIS Intern Interview

GIS Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at World Resources Institute in July 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted the on line application on line on May 23th, and received the e-mail telling me to interview on May 24th and I got offer on 25th. The whole process is very quickly.

Interview Question – Describe your profession skills in GIS   Answer Question

Worked for World Resources Institute? Contribute to the Community!