WorldQuant Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2015
Updated Jan 24, 2015

3.4

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at WorldQuant.

They make you take an online standardized test, ater which they begin a series of interviews. The interviews were pretty variable, and depend a lot on what the interviewer's background was. Ranging from probability/dice problems to very obscure knowledge based questions such as, "Do you know Bezout's theorem? "

Some examples:
    1. Given a list of N numbers you form all possible subsets of N-1 elements. You want to calculate the product of all the elements in the subset each subset. You are not allowed to use division. Provide an O(N) algorithm to do this.

2. You roll three dice, each of which can take values from 1 to 6. What is the probability that the maximum of the three rolls is p?

3. Given a random number from a uniform distribution, produce a random variable that is normally distributed.

4. Suppose the expected number of coin tosses to produce n consecutive heads is pn then find a relation between pn and pn+1.

Interview Questions

Seem a bit too pushy, for instance they simply set up interviews without even bothering to ask if I was available at that time. Gave me only a couple of days to decide on the offer.

Research Consultant Interview

Online based test. It takes about 3 months to participate in the competition and you need to compete with other people within your region to get a part-time offer. Leadboard is demonstrated on the website, so you could check how you performed compared to others.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

My initial communication is by email coincident with their early recruitment events in my country. The first round to filter out candidate is by having all the candidates taking written exams. Then they start phone call to a subset of test takers who look promising. I had 5 subsequent phone interviews before getting job offers.

Portfolio Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WorldQuant in June 2014.

The interview process had a decent flow to it and was fairly timely going from first interview progressing to the 3rd interview.

Very disappointed in the third interview due to the fact that the feedback that my recruiter provided to me was completely unrelated to anything that was covered during the interview. This leads me to believe that the individual conducting the interview either wasn't paying attention or confused my interview with another candidate.

In either case, the last interview left me wondering if I was better off not getting an offer.

1) Phone Interview - Recruiter
    2) Physical Interview - Recruiter
    3) Phone Interview - WorldQuant HR / Head of Technology

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding HCI (Human Computer Interaction) were combined with various personality type questions. There were several instances where it seemed the interviewer was stressed and rushing to get the interview done even though my answers were very well thought out and concise.   Answer Question

Research Consultant Interview

Didn't apply for this position, but got invited for online testing for this position. This was part time position working from home and web-based position.

Data Analyst Interview

I have an interview scheduled at 4:00pm with WorldQuant through a headhunter. I waited until 4:45pm and received no phone calls from WorldQuant. Called my headhunter, and was told the interviewer completely forgot he had a phone interview with me ! Highly unprofessional as a financial company.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult: talk to me if you can.   View Answer

Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Old Greenwich, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Old Greenwich, CT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at WorldQuant.

One phone interview
    Online test for 2 hours
    Code test for an hour
    7 more in person interviews

Interview Questions
    • How to win in casinos and few questions related to betting.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WorldQuant in December 2013.

Two on site interviews; Questions on probability/statistics and
    algorithms.
    (1) Find the 2nd largest element in an array with minimum # of comparison
    (2) Fair coin, expected number of throws until appearing 3 consecutive heads?

Interview Questions
    • with your wildest imagination, give 3 things things that can predict the stock price   View Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Sent my CV, got test invitation in 2 weeks, took the test, 2 weeks later they told me I failed it (dunno how that happened)

Interview Questions
    • A lot of hard probability questions, also there are programming questions   Answer Question

Quantitative Researcher Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at WorldQuant.

I was first contacted by a head hunter and after discussing my background, I decided to complete the application form. Then after two days, I got a phone interview by a committee of three people. The interview consisted of basic questions about my skill sets and probability-based brain teasers. I think I did pretty well but then I didn't commit myself too much and that might contributed to the result of not getting to the 2nd interview.