Digitalbridge Communications

Digitalbridge Communications Principal Systems Engineer Interview Question

I interviewed in Ashburn, VA and was asked:
"Would you purchase or build software for monitoring and reporting on specific aspects of the subscriber network?"
Add Tags [?]
Answer

Part of a Principal Systems Engineer Interview Review - one of 1 Digitalbridge Communications Interview Reviews

Answers & Comments

of 0
votes

That depends on the segment of the network we want to monitor, the type of raw data available, the protocol used to acquire the data and the complexity of the reporting required. As I see it we have three options at least, buy off the shelf, use open source software or build in house. There are pros and cons to each choice in the areas of installation, configuration, maintenance and available features. There are also the financial aspects to address as all three choices impact the budget in different ways. What I have seen in the past is that companies are quick to buy software, but somehow forget that each software application requires some degree of internal personnel involved to bring it online and make the best use of it. Understanding what is needed and reaching some form of balance is key as is knowing at the outset that your requirements will change as your knowledge of the problem space matures so that you are factoring in some level of evolution over time.

- Interview Candidate on Sep 11, 2010