Interview Question

Interview Menlo Park, CA

Write a function that finds the square root of a decimal

number.
Tags:
technical, algorithm
Answer

Interview Answer

4 Answers

A binary search with a constraint for precision. We should also take care of the interval (0.00, 1.00).

Interview Candidate on Sep 2, 2012

// iterative (function(n){ var lo=0; var hi=n; var tries=500; var prev; while(tries--){ var curr=hi-((hi-lo)/2); var prd=curr*curr; if(prd===n || prev==curr){ break; } prd>n ? hi=curr : lo=curr; prev=curr; } console.log(curr, curr*curr, 500-tries) })(64)

grim face on Sep 7, 2012

// recursive with closure use (function(n){ var lo=0; var hi=n; var tries=500; var prev; function rec(){ var curr=hi-((hi-lo)/2); var prd=curr*curr; if(prd===n || prev==curr || !tries--){ return curr; } prd>n ? hi=curr : lo=curr; prev=curr; return rec() } var result = rec(); console.log(result, result*result, 500-tries) })(25)

grim face on Sep 7, 2012

For the above, I would set my high to be the max(x, 1), Let say's one call any of your functions with 1/4, or with any 0 < x < 1 both implementation will fail My approach would be the Newton implementation of it (function(n, epsilon){ If (x < 0) return; if(precision <=0) return; var guess = x/2; var diff = guess^2 - x; //guess^2 I mean here guess square var counter = 1; while((diff -x > epsilon) && (epsilon <=100)){ guess = guess^2 - (diff)/2*guess; diff = guess*guess - x; counter++; } if(counter > 100) return; return guess; })

Anonymous on Sep 16, 2012

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.