XO Communications

Getting the Interview

28 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer IV Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at XO Communications in October 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screening and Extensive technical interview performed.

Interview Question – Had to solve a couple of day to day basis programming problems.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Field Technician Interview

Pennsauken, NJ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the manager of the XO office located in Pennsauken NJ. She was anxious to hire an experienced Telecom Tech which I was. It was a friendly experience and I was confident I would be hired because I was recommended by someone who had a daily contact with one of XO's techs.

Interview Question – was I ever convicted of a crime or ever have my driving privileges revoked   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I got a higher salary than I asked for and asked for less than hoped to get.

Central Office Technician Interview

Central Office Technician
Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in April 2010.

Interview Details – Based in large part on attitude over aptitude. They already have many tenured folks on staff, but they need trainable people who can work together and get along. Have the right attitude, willingness to go the extra mile, positive can do attitude. Must have telecom and some facility experience as you will be required to on top of industry eqpt and maintain the sites.

Interview Question – How do you structure your day when you have projects going on and trouble tickets to work?
Are you able to be on call?
describe a situation in which you did not have all the facts or knowledge to complete a task/install, but were asked to complete it anyway?
describe a situation in which you were confronted with an angry customer, what steps did you take to calm them down or resolve the conflict?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiations. you either take it or leave it.

Nation Repair Tech III Interview

Nation Repair Tech III
Lone Tree, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was relatively easy with some detailed Technical questions

Interview Question – what are specific sip trunking codes and what do they mean   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiation's on salary

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – Several step process to meet with hiring manager, Human resources, peers and potentially with the team. Must submit online profile as well and standard background and drug screen checks. Background in Technology is a must and like most interviews, too many 2-3 year jobs will reflect poorly as telecom has seen a lot of rotating chairs. GM position should require managing 5-8 managers, and value for knowing both direct and indirect channels.

Interview Question – Be prepared to provide examples of your production   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – minimal... was given a number and no wiggle

Anonymous Interview

Interviewed at XO Communications

Interview Details – While the hiring process at XO might seem to drag out at times, that changes once you obtain an interview with the hiring manager. They will ask probing questions regarding your experience, long/short term goals, your strongest assets, why you want to work there, and what you consider to be your weakest skill/quality. Then depending on the position, you could be asked specific questions to determine if you have the skills required for the position

Interview Question – There was only one unexpected question in regards to etiquette while working in a "cube" environment   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was a little room to negotiate based on experience and fair market value

Senior Project Manager Interview

Plano, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in October 2012.

Interview Details – Face-to-Face

Interview Question – Have you ever had to deal with a difficult employee and/or project team member? If so, how did you deal with that individual?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pleasant. However, I asked for more then the offered 3% and was told this was the most they could offer, given current business conditions.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – Interview process was one day; came in and met with three members of the team, including the hiring manager. They introduced me to folks in the office and were very open about the pros and cons of working here.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult; the hiring manager was very straight forward. She took alot of notes, which I liked. Showed she was interested.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, mostly because I had been laid off for 8 months. I didn't want to ruin my chances. However, the recruiter had told me the salary range for this job, and the offer came in at the top end of the range. I was happy, so I took it.

Account Executive Interview

Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in April 2012.

Interview Details – 4 step process consisting of phone interview and two in person meetings as well as a selection meeting.

Interview Question – Presenting XO Cloud solutions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Took what was offered - entry level role with no wiggle room in salary.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – The hiring process for this company is a joke!

You first go through a phone interview then several face to face interviews. The first manager I interviewed with and whose team had the opening, was great! Very detailed, direct about the prospecting and cold calling involved with the role. Discussed the perseverance and acumen it takes for one to succeed. He was also very motivating. I felt great about the opportunity.
The next phase of the process was meeting with other Sales Managers who asked me questions I am positive they are not allowed to ask for legality reasons, but also seemed he could really care less to be truly interested in what I have to say. It seemed to me he had already made up his mind in the first 10 seconds of meeting me. Not much more can be said for my last interview with the Director of Sales who actually seemed irritated to be interviewing me. They have you interview with other account managers. All in all you may go through 5 interviews and a phone interview for an account manager position? I guess if someone has no other prospects then it is not an issue. I was very interested in XO as a company and after my first meeting with the first sales manager, I put up with the process. I will not be selecting XO as an employer and do not recommend them.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for XO Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at XO Communications interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by XO Communications employees and interview candidates.