XO Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.5

Channel Manager II Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at XO Communications in February 2010.

Interview

After being made to wait over 10 minutes, the Branch Manager finally came out to greet me. While I was waiting I had absolutely nothing to do than to review my notes. The lobby is not staffed, doesn't have any magazines or actually any sign of life. Once we shook hands, he proceeded to walk well over 10 steps in front of me. I'm not a slow mover so this just insulted me that he couldn't somehow bring himself to walk with me. It was as if he was saying " I really don't have time for you." During the interview he was rude, interrupting, and overall did not give me a good impression of how he runs business. Later I was told by an employee that her first meeting was also not too great. To be fair I have spoken with another employee who is very happy, but she may be the exception & not the rule. Although I would accept an offer of employment (due to the still very rough employment climate), I would be extremely wary of him.

Website Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at XO Communications (Saginaw, MI) in December 2008.

Interview

I was interviewed by two employees of XO, both were very professional and also very friendly. The impression of the work environment there was extremely favorable. The interview was difficult in a good way - they asked questions to make sure I knew the area I claimed experience in. There was an oral test as well as a written test, wherein they asked me to point out errors in code examples, or to write new code. In the end I did not receive the job, as I did not know a programming language necessary for the position, but I actually enjoyed the interview, and if I get the chance to apply there again, I will do so.

Interview Questions

• Please point out the coding errors or bugs in this SQL example.   1 Answer

Central Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications (Dallas, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Based in large part on attitude over aptitude. They already have many tenured folks on staff, but they need trainable people who can work together and get along. Have the right attitude, willingness to go the extra mile, positive can do attitude. Must have telecom and some facility experience as you will be required to on top of industry eqpt and maintain the sites.

Interview Questions

• How do you structure your day when you have projects going on and trouble tickets to work? Are you able to be on call? describe a situation in which you did not have all the facts or knowledge to complete a task/install, but were asked to complete it anyway? describe a situation in which you were confronted with an angry customer, what steps did you take to calm them down or resolve the conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no room for negotiations. you either take it or leave it.

Technical Support Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at XO Communications (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for interview by email. Arrived on time. There was no one to direct me or let me in (building security station was unmanned). Asked guy in jeans for directions. He worked there, so took me up in elevator, let me in office and showed me where I was to meet with hiring manager. Had what I thought was a good interview. Manager followed up by phone to let me know I had not been hired.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications (Plano, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

Face-to-Face

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to deal with a difficult employee and/or project team member? If so, how did you deal with that individual?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pleasant. However, I asked for more then the offered 3% and was told this was the most they could offer, given current business conditions.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Interview

Several step process to meet with hiring manager, Human resources, peers and potentially with the team. Must submit online profile as well and standard background and drug screen checks. Background in Technology is a must and like most interviews, too many 2-3 year jobs will reflect poorly as telecom has seen a lot of rotating chairs. GM position should require managing 5-8 managers, and value for knowing both direct and indirect channels.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

minimal... was given a number and no wiggle

Nation Repair Tech III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications (Lone Tree, CO) in June 2010.

Interview

Interview process was relatively easy with some detailed Technical questions

Interview Questions

• what are specific sip trunking codes and what do they mean   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were no negotiation's on salary

Project Manager IV Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted 30 minutes. I made it to the second interview. I received an email for an interview at 8pm at night. The interview was for 10am the next morning. The interview lasted 2 hours. I interviewed with 2 employees for about an hour and a half then I had an interview with the manager. No one from HR or XO bothered to call me afterwards to provide any feed back. Nothing, never knew if I got the job or not, never even RECIEVED an email thanking me for interviewing. Extremely inconsiderate.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle stress? How do you manage competing priorities?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in December 2009.

Interview

Met with GM and the interview went very well. He was in the process of hiring a regional manager for sales to report to. Three weeks later he emailed me and i set up a meeting with the Regional manager to interview with him. The regional had no management experience and was a little over the top in the interviewing process at first. Then we realized we really had the same goals and vision. Interview went well and they have yet to meet the required salary I requested.

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at XO Communications in February 2010.

Interview

very laid back, more about personality than if you can do the job.

Interview Questions

• are someone to do something your manager asks even if you think there is a better way to do it?   Answer Question