XO Communications

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.6

Channel Manager II Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at XO Communications in February 2010.

After being made to wait over 10 minutes, the Branch Manager finally came out to greet me. While I was waiting I had absolutely nothing to do than to review my notes. The lobby is not staffed, doesn't have any magazines or actually any sign of life.
    Once we shook hands, he proceeded to walk well over 10 steps in front of me. I'm not a slow mover so this just insulted me that he couldn't somehow bring himself to walk with me. It was as if he was saying " I really don't have time for you."
    During the interview he was rude, interrupting, and overall did not give me a good impression of how he runs business.
    Later I was told by an employee that her first meeting was also not too great.
    To be fair I have spoken with another employee who is very happy, but she may be the exception & not the rule.
    Although I would accept an offer of employment (due to the still very rough employment climate), I would be extremely wary of him.

Website Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saginaw, MI

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at XO Communications in December 2008.

I was interviewed by two employees of XO, both were very professional and also very friendly. The impression of the work environment there was extremely favorable. The interview was difficult in a good way - they asked questions to make sure I knew the area I claimed experience in. There was an oral test as well as a written test, wherein they asked me to point out errors in code examples, or to write new code. In the end I did not receive the job, as I did not know a programming language necessary for the position, but I actually enjoyed the interview, and if I get the chance to apply there again, I will do so.

Interview Questions
    • Please point out the coding errors or bugs in this SQL example.   View Answer

Central Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in April 2010.

Based in large part on attitude over aptitude. They already have many tenured folks on staff, but they need trainable people who can work together and get along. Have the right attitude, willingness to go the extra mile, positive can do attitude. Must have telecom and some facility experience as you will be required to on top of industry eqpt and maintain the sites.

Interview Questions
    • How do you structure your day when you have projects going on and trouble tickets to work?
      Are you able to be on call?
      describe a situation in which you did not have all the facts or knowledge to complete a task/install, but were asked to complete it anyway?
      describe a situation in which you were confronted with an angry customer, what steps did you take to calm them down or resolve the conflict?

Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiations. you either take it or leave it.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Several step process to meet with hiring manager, Human resources, peers and potentially with the team. Must submit online profile as well and standard background and drug screen checks. Background in Technology is a must and like most interviews, too many 2-3 year jobs will reflect poorly as telecom has seen a lot of rotating chairs. GM position should require managing 5-8 managers, and value for knowing both direct and indirect channels.

Interview Questions
    minimal... was given a number and no wiggle

Nation Repair Tech III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in June 2010.

Interview process was relatively easy with some detailed Technical questions

Interview Questions
    • what are specific sip trunking codes and what do they mean   View Answer
    There were no negotiation's on salary

Software Engineer IV Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at XO Communications in October 2013.

Phone screening and Extensive technical interview performed.

Interview Questions
    • Had to solve a couple of day to day basis programming problems.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in December 2009.

Met with GM and the interview went very well. He was in the process of hiring a regional manager for sales to report to. Three weeks later he emailed me and i set up a meeting with the Regional manager to interview with him. The regional had no management experience and was a little over the top in the interviewing process at first. Then we realized we really had the same goals and vision. Interview went well and they have yet to meet the required salary I requested.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

For me the interviewing process was short, just met with a few people the first time then a less formal interview with two peer engineers the second time. Biggest delay was in getting the formal offer, negotiating position / salary, and start date. Other people hired here have gone through much longer hiring / interview process. For me I knew two of the hiring decision makers personally from past work experience so that probably helped.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager (who is no longer with the company) posed some unusual technical questions to me during a "mock" customer appointment / meeting / role play.   View Answer
    I was frustrated with the negogiation process because I was not offered the position title, salary or commission target I deserve based on experience and past positions. But I accepted the position anyway with hope for growth and change over time.

Repair Technician Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in April 2011.

The initial interview was a phone interview. The questions probed the my background and skills listed on my resume. For an interview, it was laid back.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at XO Communications in February 2010.

very laid back, more about personality than if you can do the job.

Interview Questions
    • are someone to do something your manager asks even if you think there is a better way to do it?   Answer Question