XO Communications Interview Questions

Updated Jun 4, 2015

2.5

Tax Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications.

Interview

Spent two hours talking to me and finally got rejection next week. Have no idea why they waste my time.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at XO Communications (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The hiring process for this company is a joke!

You first go through a phone interview then several face to face interviews. The first manager I interviewed with and whose team had the opening, was great! Very detailed, direct about the prospecting and cold calling involved with the role. Discussed the perseverance and acumen it takes for one to succeed. He was also very motivating. I felt great about the opportunity.
    The next phase of the process was meeting with other Sales Managers who asked me questions I am positive they are not allowed to ask for legality reasons, but also seemed he could really care less to be truly interested in what I have to say. It seemed to me he had already made up his mind in the first 10 seconds of meeting me. Not much more can be said for my last interview with the Director of Sales who actually seemed irritated to be interviewing me. They have you interview with other account managers. All in all you may go through 5 interviews and a phone interview for an account manager position? I guess if someone has no other prospects then it is not an issue. I was very interested in XO as a company and after my first meeting with the first sales manager, I put up with the process. I will not be selecting XO as an employer and do not recommend them.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

While the hiring process at XO might seem to drag out at times, that changes once you obtain an interview with the hiring manager. They will ask probing questions regarding your experience, long/short term goals, your strongest assets, why you want to work there, and what you consider to be your weakest skill/quality. Then depending on the position, you could be asked specific questions to determine if you have the skills required for the position

Interview Questions

• There was only one unexpected question in regards to etiquette while working in a "cube" environment   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was a little room to negotiate based on experience and fair market value

Any Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview

XO is not hiring. The best chance is to try to be an intern.

Interview Questions

• They are sincerely very into being a highly ethical company. Expect to be given a scenario that poses a tough ethical situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. I worked for them as a contractor previously so they knew me.

Attorney Interview

Interview

I had an initial interview on the phone. I was then requested to come to their offices in Northern Virginia for an in person interview. I met with managers that I might support. The interviews went well, but they chose a local candidate, rather than me as I would have had to establish temporary living arrangements.

Lead Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at XO Communications (Herndon, VA) in December 2008.

Interview

It was an internal informal interview, I pretty much had the job but the interview was a mere formality. I sat with my future supervisor and was asked about my past work history as well as skills and why I was recommended for the job. I asked about the salary and was told what it would be.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not get the impression that it was negotiable, but it was an increase from what I was making so I did not try to negotiate. I did however negotiate my prior salary at the same company, but both times I wish I had asked for more than I did.

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at XO Communications in December 2010.

Interview

I received an email requesting an interview the week before Christmas. Since I was off I went in the following day. I had a great conversation with the hiring manager, we discussed the job, the expectations and the fact that I've been doing something similar for my entire career. She seemed really positive and told me that they were going to be doing follow up interviews the first week of the new year, right after the holiday, but she'd get back to me the following day to set up the date and time. I hadn't heard anything at all throughout the holiday. I sent an email just to check in and see what was up. I received an email back saying that they hadn't finished their first round of interviewing on time, so they'd get back to me.

We had severe weather, so I figured there was another delay. After a week or so, I sent another email, and from that point on I've heard nothing. What I find interesting is that the position is still posted.

I really enjoyed the environment and I'd love to have the job, but the lack of communication, even something saying they're moving forward with another candidate, has made me nervous.

Interview Questions

• What would be one of the first things you'd do once you started.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at XO Communications (Herndon, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

Very straightforward, my boss did most of the talking.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

You can take the job if you want it...

Project/Program Management IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at XO Communications (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

I was recruited by a professional recruiter from XO's corporate office and promptly scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager. My interview process was very simple and to the point. I was offered the job within one day of my interview and had a very lengthy, but enjoyable conversion with her.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications (Oak Brook, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. The SE manager and a sales manager were both past colleagues of mine so that made the interviewing pretty straight-forward. The interviewing process was not too long or hard it was the internal processes at their end that later held everything up. Some delays with getting the job req approved and filled. Biggest issue came later when they did a bait and switch and offered me a lower graded position (and lower salary) than was originally talked about. I accepted eventually because I hoped it would be a good place to be. But then the manager that hired me resigned during my second day on the job.

Interview Questions

• SE manager just asked me to describe how I would design a particular WAN solution. But the scenario was not a common one someone would run into and he had a specific type of design answer he was looking for that was a bit odd. So it was hard to answer it the way he wanted it to be answered.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were not good. They said they could not offer more and basically told me to take it or leave it.