XO Communications Interview Questions

2.6

Technical Support Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at XO Communications.

Applied online. Was contacted for interview by email. Arrived on time. There was no one to direct me or let me in (building security station was unmanned). Asked guy in jeans for directions. He worked there, so took me up in elevator, let me in office and showed me where I was to meet with hiring manager. Had what I thought was a good interview. Manager followed up by phone to let me know I had not been hired.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at XO Communications in May 2012.

Very straightforward, my boss did most of the talking.

Interview Questions
    You can take the job if you want it...

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in April 2012.

4 step process consisting of phone interview and two in person meetings as well as a selection meeting.

Interview Questions
    Took what was offered - entry level role with no wiggle room in salary.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in February 2012.

I read about this company prior to having my first interview with the hiring manager. I wasn't too impressed with its past performance or with current employees were saying. Yet, I did like what the xo communication posting presented. ( hindsight is 20/20 ) I thought I could help implement change. Well, the first phone interview with the hiring manager went well. I felt positive. Then the email/phone tag started with the hiring manager. Setting up additional phone interviews just to have them canceled last second. This became more than frustrating. I tried to be understanding but my time and engery is just as valuable. This went on for a month. By the time I had that additional phone interview, which was supposed to be an in person 1:1, I had lost interest and respect for the hiring manager and the company. If this is the way they treat a prospective employee, how would it be to actually work for them. No Thanks! I didn't send an interview letter like I did the first time and wasn't surprised not to hear back from the company.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever implemented a co-op program with a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

The interview process was pretty simple. The SE manager and a sales manager were both past colleagues of mine so that made the interviewing pretty straight-forward. The interviewing process was not too long or hard it was the internal processes at their end that later held everything up. Some delays with getting the job req approved and filled. Biggest issue came later when they did a bait and switch and offered me a lower graded position (and lower salary) than was originally talked about. I accepted eventually because I hoped it would be a good place to be. But then the manager that hired me resigned during my second day on the job.

Interview Questions
    • SE manager just asked me to describe how I would design a particular WAN solution. But the scenario was not a common one someone would run into and he had a specific type of design answer he was looking for that was a bit odd. So it was hard to answer it the way he wanted it to be answered.   Answer Question
    Negotiations were not good. They said they could not offer more and basically told me to take it or leave it.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

For me the interviewing process was short, just met with a few people the first time then a less formal interview with two peer engineers the second time. Biggest delay was in getting the formal offer, negotiating position / salary, and start date. Other people hired here have gone through much longer hiring / interview process. For me I knew two of the hiring decision makers personally from past work experience so that probably helped.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager (who is no longer with the company) posed some unusual technical questions to me during a "mock" customer appointment / meeting / role play.   View Answer
    I was frustrated with the negogiation process because I was not offered the position title, salary or commission target I deserve based on experience and past positions. But I accepted the position anyway with hope for growth and change over time.

General Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Several step process to meet with hiring manager, Human resources, peers and potentially with the team. Must submit online profile as well and standard background and drug screen checks. Background in Technology is a must and like most interviews, too many 2-3 year jobs will reflect poorly as telecom has seen a lot of rotating chairs. GM position should require managing 5-8 managers, and value for knowing both direct and indirect channels.

Interview Questions
    minimal... was given a number and no wiggle

Nation Repair Tech III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in June 2010.

Interview process was relatively easy with some detailed Technical questions

Interview Questions
    • what are specific sip trunking codes and what do they mean   View Answer
    There were no negotiation's on salary

Central Office Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at XO Communications in April 2010.

Based in large part on attitude over aptitude. They already have many tenured folks on staff, but they need trainable people who can work together and get along. Have the right attitude, willingness to go the extra mile, positive can do attitude. Must have telecom and some facility experience as you will be required to on top of industry eqpt and maintain the sites.

Interview Questions
    • How do you structure your day when you have projects going on and trouble tickets to work?
      Are you able to be on call?
      describe a situation in which you did not have all the facts or knowledge to complete a task/install, but were asked to complete it anyway?
      describe a situation in which you were confronted with an angry customer, what steps did you take to calm them down or resolve the conflict?

Answer Question
    There was no room for negotiations. you either take it or leave it.

Technology Managemnt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at XO Communications in April 2010.

I impressed the interviewer and he was a friend, position was mine before the interview. Did you really think otherwise? once interview I received offer, started two weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • I was a friend, position was mine before the interview. Did you really think otherwise? once interview I received offer, started two weeks later.   Answer Question
    no negotiations