XO Communications

Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – The hiring process for this company is a joke!

You first go through a phone interview then several face to face interviews. The first manager I interviewed with and whose team had the opening, was great! Very detailed, direct about the prospecting and cold calling involved with the role. Discussed the perseverance and acumen it takes for one to succeed. He was also very motivating. I felt great about the opportunity.
The next phase of the process was meeting with other Sales Managers who asked me questions I am positive they are not allowed to ask for legality reasons, but also seemed he could really care less to be truly interested in what I have to say. It seemed to me he had already made up his mind in the first 10 seconds of meeting me. Not much more can be said for my last interview with the Director of Sales who actually seemed irritated to be interviewing me. They have you interview with other account managers. All in all you may go through 5 interviews and a phone interview for an account manager position? I guess if someone has no other prospects then it is not an issue. I was very interested in XO as a company and after my first meeting with the first sales manager, I put up with the process. I will not be selecting XO as an employer and do not recommend them.

Tax Intern Interview

Tax Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – Spent two hours talking to me and finally got rejection next week. Have no idea why they waste my time.

Interview Question – General questions.   Answer Question

Project/Program Management IV Interview

Project/Program Management IV
Dallas, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at XO Communications in May 2009.

Interview Details – I was recruited by a professional recruiter from XO's corporate office and promptly scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager. My interview process was very simple and to the point. I was offered the job within one day of my interview and had a very lengthy, but enjoyable conversion with her.

Interview Question – What is my biggest weakness?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Herndon, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at XO Communications in May 2012.

Interview Details – Very straightforward, my boss did most of the talking.

Interview Question – What would others say about you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You can take the job if you want it...

Technical Support Supervisor Interview

Technical Support Supervisor
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at XO Communications.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was contacted for interview by email. Arrived on time. There was no one to direct me or let me in (building security station was unmanned). Asked guy in jeans for directions. He worked there, so took me up in elevator, let me in office and showed me where I was to meet with hiring manager. Had what I thought was a good interview. Manager followed up by phone to let me know I had not been hired.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in February 2012.

Interview Details – I read about this company prior to having my first interview with the hiring manager. I wasn't too impressed with its past performance or with current employees were saying. Yet, I did like what the xo communication posting presented. ( hindsight is 20/20 ) I thought I could help implement change. Well, the first phone interview with the hiring manager went well. I felt positive. Then the email/phone tag started with the hiring manager. Setting up additional phone interviews just to have them canceled last second. This became more than frustrating. I tried to be understanding but my time and engery is just as valuable. This went on for a month. By the time I had that additional phone interview, which was supposed to be an in person 1:1, I had lost interest and respect for the hiring manager and the company. If this is the way they treat a prospective employee, how would it be to actually work for them. No Thanks! I didn't send an interview letter like I did the first time and wasn't surprised not to hear back from the company.

Interview Question – Have you ever implemented a co-op program with a customer?   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Oak Brook, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty simple. The SE manager and a sales manager were both past colleagues of mine so that made the interviewing pretty straight-forward. The interviewing process was not too long or hard it was the internal processes at their end that later held everything up. Some delays with getting the job req approved and filled. Biggest issue came later when they did a bait and switch and offered me a lower graded position (and lower salary) than was originally talked about. I accepted eventually because I hoped it would be a good place to be. But then the manager that hired me resigned during my second day on the job.

Interview Question – SE manager just asked me to describe how I would design a particular WAN solution. But the scenario was not a common one someone would run into and he had a specific type of design answer he was looking for that was a bit odd. So it was hard to answer it the way he wanted it to be answered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were not good. They said they could not offer more and basically told me to take it or leave it.

Sales Engineer Interview

Sales Engineer
Oak Brook, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

Interview Details – For me the interviewing process was short, just met with a few people the first time then a less formal interview with two peer engineers the second time. Biggest delay was in getting the formal offer, negotiating position / salary, and start date. Other people hired here have gone through much longer hiring / interview process. For me I knew two of the hiring decision makers personally from past work experience so that probably helped.

Interview Question – The hiring manager (who is no longer with the company) posed some unusual technical questions to me during a "mock" customer appointment / meeting / role play.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was frustrated with the negogiation process because I was not offered the position title, salary or commission target I deserve based on experience and past positions. But I accepted the position anyway with hope for growth and change over time.

Lead Financial Analyst Interview

Lead Financial Analyst
Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at XO Communications in December 2008.

Interview Details – It was an internal informal interview, I pretty much had the job but the interview was a mere formality. I sat with my future supervisor and was asked about my past work history as well as skills and why I was recommended for the job. I asked about the salary and was told what it would be.

Interview Question – Why did they recommend you for this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not get the impression that it was negotiable, but it was an increase from what I was making so I did not try to negotiate. I did however negotiate my prior salary at the same company, but both times I wish I had asked for more than I did.

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Austin, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at XO Communications in January 2010.

Interview Details – One on one, focus on existing experience