XO Communications Sales Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Brook, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

The interview process was pretty simple. The SE manager and a sales manager were both past colleagues of mine so that made the interviewing pretty straight-forward. The interviewing process was not too long or hard it was the internal processes at their end that later held everything up. Some delays with getting the job req approved and filled. Biggest issue came later when they did a bait and switch and offered me a lower graded position (and lower salary) than was originally talked about. I accepted eventually because I hoped it would be a good place to be. But then the manager that hired me resigned during my second day on the job.

Interview Questions
  • SE manager just asked me to describe how I would design a particular WAN solution. But the scenario was not a common one someone would run into and he had a specific type of design answer he was looking for that was a bit odd. So it was hard to answer it the way he wanted it to be answered.   Answer Question
Negotiations were not good. They said they could not offer more and basically told me to take it or leave it.

Other Interview Reviews for XO Communications

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at XO Communications in September 2010.

For me the interviewing process was short, just met with a few people the first time then a less formal interview with two peer engineers the second time. Biggest delay was in getting the formal offer, negotiating position / salary, and start date. Other people hired here have gone through much longer hiring / interview process. For me I knew two of the hiring decision makers personally from past work experience so that probably helped.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring manager (who is no longer with the company) posed some unusual technical questions to me during a "mock" customer appointment / meeting / role play.   View Answer
    I was frustrated with the negogiation process because I was not offered the position title, salary or commission target I deserve based on experience and past positions. But I accepted the position anyway with hope for growth and change over time.

Worked for XO Communications? Contribute to the Community!