XO Group Interview Questions

2.5

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at XO Group in August 2013.

The interview was informal but technical. I was asked technology questions (document store details, programming language familiarity, etc.) but the emphasis was on problem solving and social fit. Dress is informal, be prepared for several small panels and to deal with a number of different interviewing styles. Management and technical interviewers are involved.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked point blank about how I would approach a rather tricky and complicated problem. This turned out to be the project in development at the time, so it was a nice opportunity to whiteboard and for the interviewers and I to feel each other out. Collaboration and ability to think on one's feet were obviously important.   Answer Question
    I negotiated salary. Benefits are uniform and time off is 'unlimited' (read: you get what you can get).

Publication Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at XO Group in March 2010.

Simple interview-- normal basic questions. The company was not what i expected-- I thought there would super high-end dressed people everywhere-- nope just normal causal attire. Laid back.. nice office-- clean and represents the company well.

Interview Questions
    • They do a program test for the second interview. Just designing an ad.   View Answer
    There wasn't any... I was right out of college in need of a job and they just said this is what you get.

Events Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at XO Group in March 2012.

I was interviewed by my boss and HR generalist. They both were conversational and didn't come off as cold.

Product/Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person - interviewed at XO Group.

I appreciated the thoughtfulness of the questions from the senior technology, product, and business folks; I feel like they vetted my qualifications thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was a question about my past company.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at XO Group.

The interview process was only two steps. I was contacted by the recruiter in HR to set up an initial phone interview with the hiring manager and one of his senior team members. The interview was very relaxed and they asked questions to assess team fit and role interest. I received an invitation at the end of the call for an on-site interview and was contacted by HR to schedule it.

The on-site interview consisted of 4-30 min interviews - two of which were the two from the phone interview and then one each with the project manager and HR recruiter. The hiring manager discussed the role, career progression, and team with me while the rest asked questions about how I handled certain situations. The majority of each discussion was an opportunity for me to ask questions about XO Group.

I felt the experience was good. I did have to ask questions at each step as to what to expect of the interview process but they happily provided answers. I had the opportunity to ask many questions to determine if this was a good fit for me and I felt I received a good sense of the culture of the organization.

Interview Questions
    I was satisfied with the offer so opted not to negotiate.

Senior Sales Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at XO Group in July 2012.

I was contacted to interview after applying online. I went in and sat down with someone who recently came into the role of managing the position I was interviewing for. (He came from a very different department of the company) It became clear after ten minutes or so that I could have done his job and probably more effectively. It was as if he Googled "how to interview someone" and then printed out what he found. He asked me inane questions off the printed list and wrote down all of my answers. It was borderline insulting. Then I was given a written test of terms I had to define. This isnt school; this is a job interview for a SENIOR sales planner position. You should know by talking to me if I know my stuff.

Interview Questions
    • When in your life have you failed miserably.   View Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at XO Group in December 2008.

Communication throughout the interview process was very poor. When I came in for my actual interview it was't done in a conference room or a private area but rather what appeared to be the employee's kitchen. The receptionist was rude and it overall was not a positive interview process. I withdrew my application as I was happier with my role at the time.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Came in for an interview and nothing happened according to plan. Everyone was running around 45 min late. This didn't cause an issue as I had taken the whole day off from my current job. Clearly it wasn't a good day for anyone I talked to -- something big had broken and everyone was freaking out.

The interview mainly consisted of my interviewers apologizing to me about pretty much everything including the chaos. Unfortunately after I took the job I found out this level of chaos is totally normal and people put as much effort into figuring out who to throw under the bus as they do actually fixing the problem.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions about web technologies, programming, SDLC processes, etc.

Looking back one bizarre aspect was the interviewers seemed much more interested in talking about the myriad of technical problems facing the company than they were my skills and experience.
        Answer Question

Assistant to the Publisher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at XO Group in April 2008.

I was relocating to a new city and applied for this job online. I talked to the HR recruiter and she wanted me to meet with the Publisher, who I would be supporting. I happily agreed. They knew from the get-go that I was coming from out of town and that I would need to travel (at my own expense) for the interview. I was fine with paying for the travel if it resulted in a good job. I thought the interview went very well and that the person I met with was very nice and someone I could work well with. Apparently they did not. I did not get the job, but more annoying to me was the fact that they didn't even send me a rejection email. I spent several hundred dollars flying to them, renting a car, and on a hotel room. I know HR has to deal with a lot of rejections but I spent a lot of time and money on this interview, I would think they could spend 5 minutes sending me a form rejection email letting me know I didn't get it. Six months later, after I had already moved, the job was posted again. Clearly they didn't get a good candidate the first time, I could have done a great job there, but they'll never know.

Interview Questions

Worked for XO Group? Contribute to the Community!