Xanterra Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

2.0

Staff Clerk Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shiner, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Xanterra (Shiner, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was called and scheduled for phone interview by supervisor. At the time agreed upon the supervisor called me to talk and was very easy going and open to answer any questions I had first before we proceeded.

Interview Questions

• To begin with, I was asked if I had any questions about the position. The supervisor was very nice and open about living and working on-site at a National Park Service resort.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I decided to not take job due to low salary. Supervisor encouraged me to keep looking at Xanterra website for new job postings that may be more attuned to my needs.

Reservations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xanterra.

Interview

It was a basic 15-20 min interview, going through your work history. The interviewer also asked why I wanted to work there, then sent me a word association test followed by an invitation to interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, just your run of the mill questions   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Xanterra.

Interview

I filled out an app on-line and got a phone call from a lady requesting an interview. I set up a time later on in the week to be available to her. She stated that the interview could take 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I had the interview with a lady a couple weeks later over the phone. She asked predetermined questions stating she would be notating my answers and there may be pauses after answering because of this. Overall, the process took about an hour. She did not make an offer during that phone call but called me a few days later and made me the offer with pay and other company specifics.

Interview Questions

• What if someone finds a hair in your pancakes? What do you do?   1 Answer

GSA (Front Desk) At Lake Yellowstone Hotel Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yellowstone National Park, WY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Xanterra (Yellowstone National Park, WY) in January 2015.

Interview

Originally I applied for an office work position and various others, but when my friend was given an interview before me, I became anxious and called HR to check on my resume. They recommended I apply for a position with more openings, such as a front desk GSA. Once I updated my application to include that position, I quickly received an email inviting me to a phone interview. I recommend applying to as many positions as possible to ensure you get in--once you arrive in Yellowstone, it is possible to switch positions after you give the original job a chance. The phone interview was very basic. The interviewer just read down a list of ten or so questions and wrote down my responses. They were common interview questions such as "describe a situation in which you were in conflict with a manager, and how did you resolve it?" Shortly after the interview I received a job offer through email. I think the entire interview/acceptance process took around a month for me, and this was 3 months before the season started. I've heard of it taking as little as 3 days right before the hotel opened (this was a case in which the applicant had a current employee as a personal reference). It really varies. Also of note: after a week of training, we were given the opportunity to interview for a "senior" position. 5 of the 9 trainees decided to interview, and 4 of us got the promotion. I'm not sure if this is normal or because they were short on returnees to promote. Either way, it was a great feeling moving up so fast.

Reservations Agent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Xanterra in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for a few positions, however this is the one that made them call me within a few hours of applying. The hiring coordinator called and we had a 15-20 min conversation about past jobs, she then asked if she could send me the personality test. After I did that she called again and asked if I wanted to interview in person. I went to the interview and I had two separate interviews with sales managers. The first was typical and then the second interviewer and I bonded over similar interests. I had a bunch of questions that they couldn't answer or only half answered. Overall it was a good experience, I just felt they were over complementary, really needed reservations agents and would hire anyone with sales experience.

Interview Questions

• They kept asking what I would do in a group setting or how i would handle a group project, it was a bit unexpected as it was just a call center.   Answer Question

Low pay

Housekeeper Interview

Interview

I did not fill out Application just sent in resume. Got a phone call, had a short interview and they offered the job within 10 minutes because they are desperate. Pretty lame.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

easy

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xanterra.

Interview

There is no interview process for most of the positions. On the application you choose your top three job choices and they give you one of them in a contract that they send you (to accept, sign, and return).

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Xanterra.

Interview

I applied through manager and heard back within a week. I went through one interview with the head of location F&B and the overall head of F&B

Interview Questions

Negotiation

set rate, no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood Village, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Xanterra (Greenwood Village, CO) in March 2014.

Interview

Online application, long application. There is a basic assessment questionnaire that had to be taken. after filling out the application (ie, drugs, stealing, cheating, ) Couple of weeks latter, HR sent me an email to continue with another assessment because they'd like to bring me in for an interview. Then they set me up with an actual interview with two people.

Interview Questions

• Tell us what you think this job entails with day-in, day-out.   1 Answer
    • After the interview (I had 2 people interviewing me at the same time) They tag teamed me with the questions. Interview went real well. But to keep it even more fun they had me take another assessmet.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Set pay rates $10.80 first 3 months, Based on performance $11.95, next three months $12.60. This is all based on your sales while booking the hotels, and packages. There are lots of incentives for the agents. Caveat, after a week & half training program you're tested, two part test must get 90% on both tests to move on into the actual position. There are tests just prior to your next pay increase.

Reservations/Sales Interview

Interview

Intial process is they bring you in to do a typing test. Which is fine in itself, however,, a little intro or conversation prior would be more appropriate for candidates.It puts you 'off' as you are plunked down at a table and told to start typing. Next, you are brought in a room with two supervisors who read off a piece of paper, line by line, telling you about the company. They ask about your availablility- which must be 7 days a week, all hours 7am-7pm. They will ask if you have sales experience with quotas, another question was explain a place you have never been (describe it). They do not ask much of your past skills and experience. If accepted, you are trained for a week and half and must pass each daily quiz at 90% or above. They have sales "quotos" you must meet. After the interview, you are given two more assessments-- some are "what if" scenarios, others are grammatical, others are long mathematical story problems--which were challenging as you have no calculator or sheet to write notes. Overall the experience was very strange considering this is entry level position for 10 bucks an hour....

Interview Questions

• Unexpected question- what is the worst customer service you've experienced and what did you do about it?   Answer Question

Got a bad vibe.