Xcel Energy

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.9

Project Controls Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Xcel Energy in July 2014.

The interview process was two part, an initial phone interview, then a face to face meeting. During the phone interview I was asked situational questions. I didn't realize companies still used this process as it is not the best way to gather background information. To my surprise, the face to face meeting was just more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions are not difficult, they just require some thought   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

Interview is formal panel interview, background process

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation in which you had to cope with a particularly demanding or challenging task. What did you do and why, and what was your role in initiating action regarding the task.   Answer Question

Customer Contact Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2014.

I had subscribed to Xcel Energy's automated emails for jobs that met my search criteria and received an email regarding the Customer Contact Center position. I applied online and then received an email inviting me to take an online test.

The test had two parts. The first was a multiple choice test that seemed to measure personality, work styles and some questions asking basically the same thing, but worded differently in order to check for inaccuracy.

The second test was an interactive call center skills test in which they presented audio dialogs of mock calls and then the applicant enters information into the mock data entry screen. There were also a few options to select certain responses to the caller's inquiries. The second test seemed to measure typing speed and accuracy, one's learning curve and some basic customer service skills like suggestive selling.

Upon completing the online test I immediately received an invitation to schedule an interview via their online scheduling calendar. Despite numerous attempts to schedule an interview time, the calendar never presented any possible interview times. As a result, I contacted the email address provided and arranged a time via email.

I was pleased to get an interview and pondered how nice it would be to start at the bottom of a Fortune 500 company to be able to prove myself and then work my way up the ladder. But the more I learned about their customer contact position, the more bleak any future at Xcel energy seemed...

I took a bus to the interview at their call center in Roseville, MN. The closest bus to the office (at least from my route) was about a mile away. That's not such a bad walk unless it's snowing, or unbearably cold (as can be the case here in Minnesota).

The call center is not located in their main Minneapolis office. It's in a non-descript business park that could be in anywhere (in the middle of nowhere) USA. There were no stores or eateries anywhere in sight, making me wonder what one does there for meals if they don't pack one.

I arrived at the call center and was very impressed by every employee that I met. Everyone was cheerful and welcoming. Definitely the kind of people I'd want to work with. However, I was a little put off by the group interview (there were about five of us on this particular batch of interviews). When an agency does group interviews it gives me the impression that they must have a high turnover rate. The group portion of the interview was informational.

It was in this setting that the presenter bared disappointing news about the position. The job would be part time (28hrs/wk), $10.50/hr and without any medical benefits.I was surprised that a Fortune 500 company would offer so little. However, part timers are allowed to take advantage of the 401K (as if they'd have money to contribute) as well as join the credit union. Though the presenter didn't say that we would never get benefits, the message was clear that we shouldn't get our hopes up.

After the group portion of the interview, we were seated by employees and listened into their calls. The employee with whom I sat was very likable, but it seemed that no one told her who we (the interviewers) were and why we were there. I had to explain it to her. So it seems that communication may not be so good there. After about 15 minutes of listening, I was taken for my individual interview.

It was a short and simple interview - no gotcha' questions.

Several days later, I was offered a position. I received an email with a 10-page attachment for a background check that I needed to print, fill out photocopy and then fax. Being unemployed (and broke), asking me to go somewhere to pay to print, photocopy and fax is asking a lot. I was really turned off by the extensive background check questions (including listing all addresses I've lived in in the past 7 years. They also wanted a copy of a previous pay stub, which I just don't have.

I decided this job isn't for me. It may have worked out for me if the call center were in the main building with the other departments. That would have given me hope of being able to climb up the ladder since I'd be crossing paths with the other employees. But the call center is out in the middle of nowhere, all by itself.

It was so unfortunate that getting an invitation for an interview with a Fortune 500 company turned into a major disappointment.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you received good customer service.   Answer Question

Working in customer service in Xcel energy provides a low wage, low hours, no benefits and little to no hope for advancement. Printing, photocopying and faxing the background check is prohibitively expensive for unemployed job seekers.

Administrative Assistant IV Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Xcel Energy.

Cumbersome and takes too long. From interview to hire can take over a month.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult questions are multi part questions that, if interviewing for an upper management position would be appropriate, but not much is asked about actual skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Regulatory Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Xcel Energy in December 2013.

There were two interviewers who took turns asking questions. They were friendly and put me at ease. There was no time left at the end for my questions. Questions were behavioural mostly - tell me about a time when you ...

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

Started with phone interview, first interview (panel) then second interview (panel again). Both first and second interview seemed to have asked the same behavioral questions - waste of time. The second panel should have read over the initial responses and then determined from there appropriate questions to ask. This could have provided a better, more well-rounded understanding of individual's strengths.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was about a time I disagreed with something and what I did to overcome it. I explained using the STAR technique and was then told "maybe you don't understand the question. Are you aware of the STAR technique?" Quite taken aback by each of the interviewers behaviors, rather curt, I explained again how I handled the situation as was told "maybe we should just move on to the second question." Best advice I can give to this team of individuals who choose to be part of the hiring process is to be aware of a person's strengths in their ability to overcome situations without having to be negative. Don't assume (and then sneer at the interviewee) thinking they answered the question wrong. I am now quite pleased I was not called back after the second interview after I experienced those behaviors from the individuals this organization places in leadership positions.

I would however give praises to the panel of interviewers I met for the first round as they were highly professional and well in tuned to the process. It was unfortunate to see the second round of interviewers be less than professional.
        Answer Question

Substation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

1 inperson interview

Did not negotiate

Electric Distribution Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shorewood, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shorewood, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

I applied online at Xcelenergy.com. I was contacted by a recruiter who asked a few simple questions regarding my experience and scheduled an interview date and time. The interview was held 3 days after the initial phone call with the recruiter. I interviewed with the hiring manager, another supervisor, and a Designer. They took turns asking questions that were of the STAR format. The interview process took approximately 30-40 minutes. Overall the experience was very good. The interviewers were really nice and professional and the facility was nice too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to deal with a demanding customer? What was the scenario? How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome? And what did you learn?   Answer Question

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

I responded to a job posting on the Xcel Energy website, but was already well known to the Company as I had worked in the same industry for some time. I interviewed with the Managing Director and Vice President, and was offered the position about two days later. Hiring included passing a security screen and a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe our company needs to do to adapt to the changing energy market?   Answer Question
    The salary offer and incentive plan were attractive, but as a more experienced employee I sought more time off than the standard two weeks offered a new employee. I was able to secure four weeks of vacation without much difficulty.

Transmission Business Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2013.

The interview was fairly easy. They had basic HR interview Questions. It is based on 8 competencies: 1. Adaptability and Change 2. Business Acumen 3.Communication 4.Customer/Client Focus 5.Initiative and Innovation 6.Interpersonal Skills 7.Job/technical expertise 8.Leadership

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were asked to do things differently from how you had done them before, what was the situation, what did you do, and how did it turn out?
      Give me an example of when you had to coordinate diverse business activities. What activities/functions did you have to coordinate? How did you do this? What were the end results?
      Give me a real example of how you keep others informed of issues, reoccurring problems or when you’ve made suggestions for improvement. Are you more likely to talk to co-workers or your boss? Are you comfortable speaking up in meetings? If not during a meeting, how, when and with whom do you share your ideas or opinions?
      Tell me about an occasion when you had to work hard to meet the needs of a customer. What was the situation, what did you do to satisfy their needs, and what response did you get?
      Give an example of when you had a limited amount of time to complete a project or assignment. What was the situation, what you did to meet the timeframes, and what were the results.
      Tell me about a time when you had to collaborate with others on a project. What was the situation, what did you do assure that you worked effectively together to get the job done, what was challenging, what went well, and what was the result?
      Of your job skills, which are the most important to your current position and how did you acquire these skills? Describe a specific example of how you use these skills in your job, and how you would apply these skills to this position.
        Answer Question