Xcel Energy

2.9

Substation Commissioning Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Golden, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xcel Energy in May 2013.

The interview was pretty typical. Seven or so situational questions: "Tell us about a time you encountered a difficult problem and how you solved the problem", "Tell us about a time you were assigned a task, but were unsure of your responsibilities", "How do you handle a team member who isn't pulling their weight?"....

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were technical or difficult, just situational.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in April 2013.

I applied online at Xcel.com for a job that read "Engineering Intern- Performance Testing Lab." I received a call from Minneapolis, MN 3 weeks later for a job in Amarillo, TX. That recruiter was from human resources. He set up a telephone interview the next day so that I could interview with a projection engineer by the name of Sean (last name withheld). He used STAR behavioral interview questions. As far as the technical side goes, he asked my level of expertise/skills on thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. He also asked if I had any health issues and if I was afraid of heights in excess of 250ft. He also stated that this job would get your hands dirty as it was in the field. After that, we had a little personal talk about what the job was actually about. He said we would be testing power plants in the northern New Mexico - Texas panhandle area for thermal efficiency and make suggestions as to what measures could be taken in order to increase their efficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate your thermodynamic and fluid mechanic skills.   View Answer
    • Since you studied abroad, what do you think is the most important thing you learned while abroad?   View Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

I submitted my resume online. Did not include a cover letter. Two to three weeks later I got a call and email to set up an interview. The interview went very well. Getting there was simple even when I don't have a car. The interviewers asked a few typical "HR questions" to make sure I was able to perform the job functions, but aside from that they were more interested in getting to know me as a person.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any tricky "tell me about a time when" questions. They were all straight-forward questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

applied for position on xcelenergy.com. if they are interested they send an email for you to complete an assessment, if you do good, they let you choose an interview day. interviews are group interviews. they call them information sessions, they tell you about the company etc. at end of interview they tell you, that you will hear from them within a certain amount of time. no decisions are made that day

just got a phone call asking if i was still interested in the position and gave me a start date

Senior Internal Auditor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

I was an internal hire, so this process may be slightly different from external hires. I submitted my application through the taleo system that Xcel Energy uses. I was contacted by the recruiter for a brief phone interview regarding my experience and desire to fill the role I applied for. After that, the area Manager for the position I applied for contacted me to schedule an interview. I went through 2 interviews with progressively higher levels of management. After I was offered the position, I met with the Manager to negotiate salary.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. They use the STAR model; so you describe a Situation/Task you had to complete, the Actions you took, and the Results. They are all behavioral based questions so make sure you have a few scenarios in mind to use as responses.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2013.

Contacted by a recruiter then by hiring manager. Met over the phone first, then in person for interviews.

No negotiation.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source – interviewed at Xcel Energy in October 2012.

one telephone interview with HR, flown out for a quick lunch interview, verbal offer literally within a day. Hiring process is cumbersome, corporate handles the drug screening through a health network - it was awkward and cumbersome requiring a visit to a seedy clinic they contracted with. Training is mostly CBT to get your badge, but the leadership and new employee training is old school, with management teachers. It should be waived for most people, but it is not.

Interview Questions
    • All typical behavioral and situational questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    They floated out a low offer and I countered with a high offer. We met somewhere in the middle.

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in September 2012.

Two interviews, one with HR and one with hiring manager. They want to get this position filled. Highly visible position. Getting into this department is very difficult. Typically they hire people with degrees in engineering, economics and computer science.

The interview was done in three parts. The first part was to determine if I qualified to the next rounds. These were questions to determine my knowledge about debugging lines of code, financial understanding, and expertise in Excel. The second part were questions that were behavioral questions regarding solving technical problems and data management. The last portion was more specific to the position. Heat ratio of power plant, how prices of energy determined, costs that go into prices, taking a binomial into a ratio (I think this has to do with economics), stochastics, pivot tables. This was an intense interview.

I/T Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2012.

Very standard process with a brief initial phone interview followed by an in-person interview.
    Interview questions were behaviorial in nature. Look up behavior oriented interview questions for a sample. I didn't realize it at the time, but this position was geared toward management level, or person that would be working on strategy -vs- actual technological solutions. Because of this anticipate several questions on your role in determining strategy, or how you implemented strategy improvements. This would include when your strategy was not considered popular opinion, how you implemented it despite obstacles, and its outcome.

Demand Side Energy Team Lead/Sales Supervisor In Call Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Xcel Energy in June 2012.

Initial screening with recruiter over the phone. Normal behavioral based questions. Passed on to face to face at Xcel Bldg in Denver. Met with two gentlemen (hiring mgr and another manger) who were very easy to talk to. Standard behavioral questions. Only 1 question was geared toward DSM/Xcel. Was told down to 6 candidates at this time. Was told they would follow up by the end of the following week. Received a phone call from hiring manager and was told its now down to three candidates. Asked 2 questions and ended the call by saying I would hear something by the end of the week. This was over 2 weeks ago. I already know the position was filled because I know the person who landed the gig. It would have been nice to get the follow up call that was promised. Prior to this, the process was pretty smooth with standard questions.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Demand Side Management and other energy saving initiatives.   Answer Question