Xcel Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Updated Jun 24, 2014

2.9

Administrative Assistant IV Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Xcel Energy.

Cumbersome and takes too long. From interview to hire can take over a month.

Interview Questions
    • The difficult questions are multi part questions that, if interviewing for an upper management position would be appropriate, but not much is asked about actual skills.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Electric Distribution Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Shorewood, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shorewood, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

I applied online at Xcelenergy.com. I was contacted by a recruiter who asked a few simple questions regarding my experience and scheduled an interview date and time. The interview was held 3 days after the initial phone call with the recruiter. I interviewed with the hiring manager, another supervisor, and a Designer. They took turns asking questions that were of the STAR format. The interview process took approximately 30-40 minutes. Overall the experience was very good. The interviewers were really nice and professional and the facility was nice too.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to deal with a demanding customer? What was the scenario? How did you handle the situation? What was the outcome? And what did you learn?   Answer Question

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Xcel Energy.

I responded to a job posting on the Xcel Energy website, but was already well known to the Company as I had worked in the same industry for some time. I interviewed with the Managing Director and Vice President, and was offered the position about two days later. Hiring included passing a security screen and a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe our company needs to do to adapt to the changing energy market?   Answer Question
    The salary offer and incentive plan were attractive, but as a more experienced employee I sought more time off than the standard two weeks offered a new employee. I was able to secure four weeks of vacation without much difficulty.

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Xcel Energy in June 2010.

STAR system is the format used in the interview process. Situation, Task, Action and Result.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in five years   View Answer
    No negotiation-salary was competitive

Transmission Business Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2013.

The interview was fairly easy. They had basic HR interview Questions. It is based on 8 competencies: 1. Adaptability and Change 2. Business Acumen 3.Communication 4.Customer/Client Focus 5.Initiative and Innovation 6.Interpersonal Skills 7.Job/technical expertise 8.Leadership

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were asked to do things differently from how you had done them before, what was the situation, what did you do, and how did it turn out?
      Give me an example of when you had to coordinate diverse business activities. What activities/functions did you have to coordinate? How did you do this? What were the end results?
      Give me a real example of how you keep others informed of issues, reoccurring problems or when you’ve made suggestions for improvement. Are you more likely to talk to co-workers or your boss? Are you comfortable speaking up in meetings? If not during a meeting, how, when and with whom do you share your ideas or opinions?
      Tell me about an occasion when you had to work hard to meet the needs of a customer. What was the situation, what did you do to satisfy their needs, and what response did you get?
      Give an example of when you had a limited amount of time to complete a project or assignment. What was the situation, what you did to meet the timeframes, and what were the results.
      Tell me about a time when you had to collaborate with others on a project. What was the situation, what did you do assure that you worked effectively together to get the job done, what was challenging, what went well, and what was the result?
      Of your job skills, which are the most important to your current position and how did you acquire these skills? Describe a specific example of how you use these skills in your job, and how you would apply these skills to this position.
        Answer Question

Budget and Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2011.

Had two interviews, very prescribed questions that are related to competency of job - for example: what is the most challenging task and why? How do you implement solutions knowing there are many many levels that have to review and approve?

Yes you can negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Xcel Energy in April 2013.

I applied online at Xcel.com for a job that read "Engineering Intern- Performance Testing Lab." I received a call from Minneapolis, MN 3 weeks later for a job in Amarillo, TX. That recruiter was from human resources. He set up a telephone interview the next day so that I could interview with a projection engineer by the name of Sean (last name withheld). He used STAR behavioral interview questions. As far as the technical side goes, he asked my level of expertise/skills on thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. He also asked if I had any health issues and if I was afraid of heights in excess of 250ft. He also stated that this job would get your hands dirty as it was in the field. After that, we had a little personal talk about what the job was actually about. He said we would be testing power plants in the northern New Mexico - Texas panhandle area for thermal efficiency and make suggestions as to what measures could be taken in order to increase their efficiency.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate your thermodynamic and fluid mechanic skills.   View Answer
    • Since you studied abroad, what do you think is the most important thing you learned while abroad?   View Answer

I/T Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2012.

Very standard process with a brief initial phone interview followed by an in-person interview.
    Interview questions were behaviorial in nature. Look up behavior oriented interview questions for a sample. I didn't realize it at the time, but this position was geared toward management level, or person that would be working on strategy -vs- actual technological solutions. Because of this anticipate several questions on your role in determining strategy, or how you implemented strategy improvements. This would include when your strategy was not considered popular opinion, how you implemented it despite obstacles, and its outcome.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Xcel Energy.

I submitted my resume online. Did not include a cover letter. Two to three weeks later I got a call and email to set up an interview. The interview went very well. Getting there was simple even when I don't have a car. The interviewers asked a few typical "HR questions" to make sure I was able to perform the job functions, but aside from that they were more interested in getting to know me as a person.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any tricky "tell me about a time when" questions. They were all straight-forward questions   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Xcel Energy.

applied for position on xcelenergy.com. if they are interested they send an email for you to complete an assessment, if you do good, they let you choose an interview day. interviews are group interviews. they call them information sessions, they tell you about the company etc. at end of interview they tell you, that you will hear from them within a certain amount of time. no decisions are made that day

just got a phone call asking if i was still interested in the position and gave me a start date