Xcel Energy

2.5

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Contact Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2014.

I had subscribed to Xcel Energy's automated emails for jobs that met my search criteria and received an email regarding the Customer Contact Center position. I applied online and then received an email inviting me to take an online test.

The test had two parts. The first was a multiple choice test that seemed to measure personality, work styles and some questions asking basically the same thing, but worded differently in order to check for inaccuracy.

The second test was an interactive call center skills test in which they presented audio dialogs of mock calls and then the applicant enters information into the mock data entry screen. There were also a few options to select certain responses to the caller's inquiries. The second test seemed to measure typing speed and accuracy, one's learning curve and some basic customer service skills like suggestive selling.

Upon completing the online test I immediately received an invitation to schedule an interview via their online scheduling calendar. Despite numerous attempts to schedule an interview time, the calendar never presented any possible interview times. As a result, I contacted the email address provided and arranged a time via email.

I was pleased to get an interview and pondered how nice it would be to start at the bottom of a Fortune 500 company to be able to prove myself and then work my way up the ladder. But the more I learned about their customer contact position, the more bleak any future at Xcel energy seemed...

I took a bus to the interview at their call center in Roseville, MN. The closest bus to the office (at least from my route) was about a mile away. That's not such a bad walk unless it's snowing, or unbearably cold (as can be the case here in Minnesota).

The call center is not located in their main Minneapolis office. It's in a non-descript business park that could be in anywhere (in the middle of nowhere) USA. There were no stores or eateries anywhere in sight, making me wonder what one does there for meals if they don't pack one.

I arrived at the call center and was very impressed by every employee that I met. Everyone was cheerful and welcoming. Definitely the kind of people I'd want to work with. However, I was a little put off by the group interview (there were about five of us on this particular batch of interviews). When an agency does group interviews it gives me the impression that they must have a high turnover rate. The group portion of the interview was informational.

It was in this setting that the presenter bared disappointing news about the position. The job would be part time (28hrs/wk), $10.50/hr and without any medical benefits.I was surprised that a Fortune 500 company would offer so little. However, part timers are allowed to take advantage of the 401K (as if they'd have money to contribute) as well as join the credit union. Though the presenter didn't say that we would never get benefits, the message was clear that we shouldn't get our hopes up.

After the group portion of the interview, we were seated by employees and listened into their calls. The employee with whom I sat was very likable, but it seemed that no one told her who we (the interviewers) were and why we were there. I had to explain it to her. So it seems that communication may not be so good there. After about 15 minutes of listening, I was taken for my individual interview.

It was a short and simple interview - no gotcha' questions.

Several days later, I was offered a position. I received an email with a 10-page attachment for a background check that I needed to print, fill out photocopy and then fax. Being unemployed (and broke), asking me to go somewhere to pay to print, photocopy and fax is asking a lot. I was really turned off by the extensive background check questions (including listing all addresses I've lived in in the past 7 years. They also wanted a copy of a previous pay stub, which I just don't have.

I decided this job isn't for me. It may have worked out for me if the call center were in the main building with the other departments. That would have given me hope of being able to climb up the ladder since I'd be crossing paths with the other employees. But the call center is out in the middle of nowhere, all by itself.

It was so unfortunate that getting an invitation for an interview with a Fortune 500 company turned into a major disappointment.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you received good customer service.   Answer Question

Working in customer service in Xcel energy provides a low wage, low hours, no benefits and little to no hope for advancement. Printing, photocopying and faxing the background check is prohibitively expensive for unemployed job seekers.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

Started with phone interview, first interview (panel) then second interview (panel again). Both first and second interview seemed to have asked the same behavioral questions - waste of time. The second panel should have read over the initial responses and then determined from there appropriate questions to ask. This could have provided a better, more well-rounded understanding of individual's strengths.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was about a time I disagreed with something and what I did to overcome it. I explained using the STAR technique and was then told "maybe you don't understand the question. Are you aware of the STAR technique?" Quite taken aback by each of the interviewers behaviors, rather curt, I explained again how I handled the situation as was told "maybe we should just move on to the second question." Best advice I can give to this team of individuals who choose to be part of the hiring process is to be aware of a person's strengths in their ability to overcome situations without having to be negative. Don't assume (and then sneer at the interviewee) thinking they answered the question wrong. I am now quite pleased I was not called back after the second interview after I experienced those behaviors from the individuals this organization places in leadership positions.

I would however give praises to the panel of interviewers I met for the first round as they were highly professional and well in tuned to the process. It was unfortunate to see the second round of interviewers be less than professional.

Answer Question

Substation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Xcel Energy in November 2013.

1 inperson interview

Did not negotiate

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

I responded to a job posting on the Xcel Energy website, but was already well known to the Company as I had worked in the same industry for some time. I interviewed with the Managing Director and Vice President, and was offered the position about two days later. Hiring included passing a security screen and a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • What do you believe our company needs to do to adapt to the changing energy market?   Answer Question
    The salary offer and incentive plan were attractive, but as a more experienced employee I sought more time off than the standard two weeks offered a new employee. I was able to secure four weeks of vacation without much difficulty.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Xcel Energy.

I submitted my resume online. Did not include a cover letter. Two to three weeks later I got a call and email to set up an interview. The interview went very well. Getting there was simple even when I don't have a car. The interviewers asked a few typical "HR questions" to make sure I was able to perform the job functions, but aside from that they were more interested in getting to know me as a person.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any tricky "tell me about a time when" questions. They were all straight-forward questions   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through other source – interviewed at Xcel Energy in October 2012.

one telephone interview with HR, flown out for a quick lunch interview, verbal offer literally within a day. Hiring process is cumbersome, corporate handles the drug screening through a health network - it was awkward and cumbersome requiring a visit to a seedy clinic they contracted with. Training is mostly CBT to get your badge, but the leadership and new employee training is old school, with management teachers. It should be waived for most people, but it is not.

Interview Questions
    • All typical behavioral and situational questions. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question
    They floated out a low offer and I countered with a high offer. We met somewhere in the middle.

I/T Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xcel Energy in August 2012.

Very standard process with a brief initial phone interview followed by an in-person interview.
    Interview questions were behaviorial in nature. Look up behavior oriented interview questions for a sample. I didn't realize it at the time, but this position was geared toward management level, or person that would be working on strategy -vs- actual technological solutions. Because of this anticipate several questions on your role in determining strategy, or how you implemented strategy improvements. This would include when your strategy was not considered popular opinion, how you implemented it despite obstacles, and its outcome.

Associate I Customer Contact Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Xcel Energy in January 2012.

Group Interview to go over details of position and company, then private interview. I was asked questions on call center experience, working with difficult customers, irate customers, past attendance history, and average handle time. They were also interested in past ability to upsell, promote products, and working as a team. Finally, asked about career goals.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if I encountered utility fraud or theft?   Answer Question

Budget and Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Xcel Energy in February 2011.

Had two interviews, very prescribed questions that are related to competency of job - for example: what is the most challenging task and why? How do you implement solutions knowing there are many many levels that have to review and approve?

Yes you can negotiate.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Xcel Energy in January 2011.

I applied online and was sent an invitation for a group interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to go above and beyond to help a customer.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a negative experience with a customer.   Answer Question
    I was unable to negotiate any aspect of the job.