Xilinx Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

3.1

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in May 2012.

Basic graph and data structure questions. Some programming tests. The difficulty was at most medium. I think I had five rounds. Prepare questions like tell me your most interesting projects etc.

Interview Questions
    • describe the shortest path of a graph with negative weights   View Answer

Proposed salary was not competitive.

FAE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ventura, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Xilinx in May 2012.

This job was a referral from two of the folks I've known for years. Immediately after I show interest to the job, the regional sales manager and an FAE setup a casual over-the-lunch interview. It was great meeting up with them and actually I found it a bit tough to be in the dining situation focus on behavioral interview because I don't get to eat at all. Coincidentally the hiring manager setup a phone interview with me on the same afternoon to go over technical questions, I was on my 1.5hr commute home while discussing with him and I probably did OK to pursue an in-person interview where the hiring manager fly to the city and I had to prepare a 45-min presentation on the company's latest product which consume more than 60 hours of my personal time. I would totally think this is a positive experience to have the motivation to learn something by myself. But decided to gave it a negative experience because the poor follow up and how informal (via e-mail) it was to shut the door, I didn't think feel it was done in a professional manner consider the time and effort both parties put in, and consider I would still remain as a Xilinx user everywhere in the region.

Interview Questions
    • Since this is a referral and I kind of get a good feel of the job being tough itself from my peers, I didn't really have any question for the hiring manager when he ask if I had any question for him. But I did have lots of reimbursement and compensation concern since I will be changing from design engineer role to an application engineer, I was well informed it would require different skill set and encounter different challenges.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

Got a call from the HR . The interview was scheduled a week after. It was a 30 minute phone interview. The position was for a software developer for creating a search engine. I was asked basic questions regarding search engine development. I was also asked about my past work experience as well as academic projects.

Interview Questions
    • Basic considerations when designing a search engine   View Answer
    I was initially offered a little less than the average market pay for an intern. After further negotiation, got a revised offer

Staff Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

very nice culture

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in January 2012.

The hiring manager will ask you about Excel proficiency most likely about pivot table functionality. They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates. The other questions are typical what are your strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates.   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in October 2011.

Interviewed with PCIe team. Female engineer from Colorado asked me a reasonable nested loop question then proceeded to interrupt me at least 8 times. After the 5th interruption I gave up solving the problem and did my best not to make a scene. She continued to interrupt me then asked very condescending questions in a very sarcastic tone. I have never met, seen, or heard of a more disrespectful interviewer during my time as a professional engineer. I later met an engineer from Xilinx (Malaysia) who worked with this woman and confirmed my assessment of her. In my opinion there was an additional engineer who was insulting. He asked me very simple questions then finished with a trick question that I didn't realize until the interview was over. I'm certain that I have designed more async interfaces than the entire team combined but I'm sure he told everyone that I missed the trick async question since he insisted on taking a picture of my solution. They were typical arrogant engineers. I couldn't be more please to not be working for this team. Lastly, the position was for a SystemVerilog OVM verification engineer working on PCIe gen 3. NOT one single question on systemverilog, OVM, or PCIe. Not one.

Interview Questions
    • how do you help someone who put a battery in a device backwards....yes, this was a real question   Answer Question
    • do a sub string seach of a string using nested loops   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in October 2011.

1. send resume to an alumni employee
    2. the team leader calls for an on-site interview
    3. talk to 4 people in the team (one-on-one), about 2 hours in length

p.s. prepare more about the requirements listed and prepare to be familiar with any skill listed on the resume

Interview Questions
    • Question about some CMOS details, device physics, Eddie current and so on   Answer Question

Product Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in April 2011.

Standard Interview.
    First manager called, then I had a technical screening over the phone.
    Consisted of basic digital circuits.
    Know your truth tables, timing diagrams.
    Understand key concepts such as metastability.

When I went to the onsite, it was similar to phone interviews with more in depth.
    They emphasized the process was important, not the right answer.

Went out to lunch.

More questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to resolve a conflict with a teammate   View Answer
    They made an attractive offer that I did not have to negotiate.

Manufacturing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2011.

Lack of follow up on interview process.
    Written communications less to be desired.
    Verbal communication skills were condescending.
    Lack of follow through, when you offer to do something, do it, don't just say you're going to do it.
    Hand shake greeting (look people in the eyes and show some interest, it's only respectful)
    Ego centric management team (interviewers and interviewees are both being reviewed).
    Lack of demonstrating relationship building skills.
    I wasn't impressed, maybe the dept. with is a poor example of the entire company atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Vague and yet somewhat clever question to determine creativity and resourcefulness. Consider if the internet didn't exist... how would you do this?   Answer Question
    • Vague and yet somewhat clever question to determine if candidate would respect chain of command. Not a matrix environment.   Answer Question

Lack of proper interviewing etiquette confirmed initial sense.

Product Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Xilinx in November 2010.

They first had a hiring manager call and then I had a technical interview with a senior product applications engineer.