Xilinx Interview Questions

3.1

Signal Integrity Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in June 2013.

I had applied through the online portal for a signal integrity intern position.. though my back ground was in embedded systems... questions were generally about my projects and backgrounds from the resume... and things like what would be your perfect job... why are manhole covers round... They also tried to gauge my understanding of engineering electromagnetics to see if i would be useful

Customer Operations Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in January 2013.

Initial contact was with a recruiter via telephone conversation. I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. I was invited a week later for an on-site interview which consisted of a 10-minute interview including question and answer. After the presentation, I met with the managers and potential peers for half hour one on one 30 minute interviews. I was then invited to a second round of interview to meet with another manager and director of the department. The third interview was with the VP who was almost 20 minutes late, and was texting/emailing during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do you know how a cell phone works?
      Do you know how to write SQL?
      Do you know what a swing line chart?
      How did you handle difficult people at work?

Answer Question

Product Applications Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in November 2012.

This was a very long process, expect to spend several days and be prepared to answer tough questions....

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected and difficult job related questions. do your home work on technical questions/answers before coming to the interview   Answer Question
    Fair, you have to give and take somewhat

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in May 2012.

Basic graph and data structure questions. Some programming tests. The difficulty was at most medium. I think I had five rounds. Prepare questions like tell me your most interesting projects etc.

Interview Questions
    • describe the shortest path of a graph with negative weights   View Answer

Proposed salary was not competitive.

FAE Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Ventura, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Xilinx in May 2012.

This job was a referral from two of the folks I've known for years. Immediately after I show interest to the job, the regional sales manager and an FAE setup a casual over-the-lunch interview. It was great meeting up with them and actually I found it a bit tough to be in the dining situation focus on behavioral interview because I don't get to eat at all. Coincidentally the hiring manager setup a phone interview with me on the same afternoon to go over technical questions, I was on my 1.5hr commute home while discussing with him and I probably did OK to pursue an in-person interview where the hiring manager fly to the city and I had to prepare a 45-min presentation on the company's latest product which consume more than 60 hours of my personal time. I would totally think this is a positive experience to have the motivation to learn something by myself. But decided to gave it a negative experience because the poor follow up and how informal (via e-mail) it was to shut the door, I didn't think feel it was done in a professional manner consider the time and effort both parties put in, and consider I would still remain as a Xilinx user everywhere in the region.

Interview Questions
    • Since this is a referral and I kind of get a good feel of the job being tough itself from my peers, I didn't really have any question for the hiring manager when he ask if I had any question for him. But I did have lots of reimbursement and compensation concern since I will be changing from design engineer role to an application engineer, I was well informed it would require different skill set and encounter different challenges.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

Got a call from the HR . The interview was scheduled a week after. It was a 30 minute phone interview. The position was for a software developer for creating a search engine. I was asked basic questions regarding search engine development. I was also asked about my past work experience as well as academic projects.

Interview Questions
    • Basic considerations when designing a search engine   View Answer
    I was initially offered a little less than the average market pay for an intern. After further negotiation, got a revised offer

Staff Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

very nice culture

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

This was Internship position at Hyderabad, India. There was firstly a phone interview in which they asked me simple questions like reverse a string, pointer concepts, array concepts and to implement an operation using logic gates. I do not remember the exact questions. Sorry about that. Then I was called over on-site. There were three interviewers and an HR person, who ensured that the things were going fine.
    They were mostly looking for confidence on your concepts, whichever field you have quoted on your resume.However that was where I was lacking(confidence). I realized they were looking to hire hardware programmer/test. But were OK if the person didn't know the stuff, as they are going to train them anyway. They asked me:

Nyquist Theorem, Finite State Machine and stuff on my resume.
    The third interviewer was slightly a strict person, unlike the other two who were pretty friendly. He asked me derivations of Fourier Transform, which I forgot. It took me some time to get to a step where from I couldn't get any further. He asked me another question which I didnt know, and that's when I've understood that I bombed my interview.
    I wouldn't know if there were further any stages of interview, cause I got a reject.

Customer Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Xilinx in January 2012.

The hiring manager will ask you about Excel proficiency most likely about pivot table functionality. They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates. The other questions are typical what are your strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates.   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Xilinx in October 2011.

Interviewed with PCIe team. Female engineer from Colorado asked me a reasonable nested loop question then proceeded to interrupt me at least 8 times. After the 5th interruption I gave up solving the problem and did my best not to make a scene. She continued to interrupt me then asked very condescending questions in a very sarcastic tone. I have never met, seen, or heard of a more disrespectful interviewer during my time as a professional engineer. I later met an engineer from Xilinx (Malaysia) who worked with this woman and confirmed my assessment of her. In my opinion there was an additional engineer who was insulting. He asked me very simple questions then finished with a trick question that I didn't realize until the interview was over. I'm certain that I have designed more async interfaces than the entire team combined but I'm sure he told everyone that I missed the trick async question since he insisted on taking a picture of my solution. They were typical arrogant engineers. I couldn't be more please to not be working for this team. Lastly, the position was for a SystemVerilog OVM verification engineer working on PCIe gen 3. NOT one single question on systemverilog, OVM, or PCIe. Not one.

Interview Questions
    • how do you help someone who put a battery in a device backwards....yes, this was a real question   Answer Question
    • do a sub string seach of a string using nested loops   Answer Question