Xilinx

Very Difficult Interview

Hardware Intern Interview

Hardware Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Xilinx in March 2014.

Interview Details – It is a referral. There are two phone interviews, each for 30 minutes. Questions reach detailed in my resume, and gave me a hard time. It is a 6 month intern. It takes some time to process the official offer.

Interview Question – I didn't recall any abnormal questions.   Answer Question

Senior Design Engineer Interview

Senior Design Engineer
Campbell, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Xilinx in February 2014.

Interview Details – Phone Screen -> In Person (Half Day) interview with several different people (1 at a time). Some guys asked me to describe a module I had worked on. Some guys asked me about PCIE flow control, transaction ordering. This was an interview with the iP team designing the hard-core IP sections of the FPGAs. Specifically the PCIE group.

Interview Question – Most difficult was how would you write a script to calculate the latency of a PCIE bus given a data base of several transactions, and their completions.

An easier one that was asked that was unexpected, given I am more HW is: Write a function to detect a one-hot encoded state variable. I sort of bombed it at the interview, but looked into the solution in detail after the interview.
  View Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Xilinx in September 2013.

Interview Details – I was very impressed with the professionalism and courtesy extended to me. I met individually with four people including the person who previously held this position and all were very personable and forthcoming. They followed-up promptly in regards to where we were in the process. Overall, it was a very positive experience.

Interview Question – Most difficult question was a scenario example... what would you do if in a situation where the VP was speaking and the microphone stopped working   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Xilinx in March 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call from the HR . The interview was scheduled a week after. It was a 30 minute phone interview. The position was for a software developer for creating a search engine. I was asked basic questions regarding search engine development. I was also asked about my past work experience as well as academic projects.

Interview Question – Basic considerations when designing a search engine   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was initially offered a little less than the average market pay for an intern. After further negotiation, got a revised offer

Customer Account Manager Interview

Customer Account Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Xilinx in January 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring manager will ask you about Excel proficiency most likely about pivot table functionality. They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates. The other questions are typical what are your strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – They will ask you to give a presentation on a topic of your choice and present in front of a panel plus the other candidates.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Xilinx in December 2009.

Interview Details – Referred by professional contact. Sent in resume and a draft of project description I was working on for my degree.

Interview Question – Technical question related to digital design timing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate

Product Applications Engineer Interview

Product Applications Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Xilinx in November 2012.

Interview Details – This was a very long process, expect to spend several days and be prepared to answer tough questions....

Interview Question – Unexpected and difficult job related questions. do your home work on technical questions/answers before coming to the interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fair, you have to give and take somewhat

Customer Operations Account Manager Interview

Customer Operations Account Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Xilinx in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial contact was with a recruiter via telephone conversation. I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview. I was invited a week later for an on-site interview which consisted of a 10-minute interview including question and answer. After the presentation, I met with the managers and potential peers for half hour one on one 30 minute interviews. I was then invited to a second round of interview to meet with another manager and director of the department. The third interview was with the VP who was almost 20 minutes late, and was texting/emailing during the interview.

Interview Question – Do you know how a cell phone works?
Do you know how to write SQL?
Do you know what a swing line chart?
How did you handle difficult people at work?
  Answer Question

Staff Software Engineer Interview

Staff Software Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Xilinx in May 2012.

Interview Details – Basic graph and data structure questions. Some programming tests. The difficulty was at most medium. I think I had five rounds. Prepare questions like tell me your most interesting projects etc.

Interview Question – describe the shortest path of a graph with negative weights   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Proposed salary was not competitive.

Verification Engineer Interview

Verification Engineer
San Jose, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Xilinx in October 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed with PCIe team. Female engineer from Colorado asked me a reasonable nested loop question then proceeded to interrupt me at least 8 times. After the 5th interruption I gave up solving the problem and did my best not to make a scene. She continued to interrupt me then asked very condescending questions in a very sarcastic tone. I have never met, seen, or heard of a more disrespectful interviewer during my time as a professional engineer. I later met an engineer from Xilinx (Malaysia) who worked with this woman and confirmed my assessment of her. In my opinion there was an additional engineer who was insulting. He asked me very simple questions then finished with a trick question that I didn't realize until the interview was over. I'm certain that I have designed more async interfaces than the entire team combined but I'm sure he told everyone that I missed the trick async question since he insisted on taking a picture of my solution. They were typical arrogant engineers. I couldn't be more please to not be working for this team. Lastly, the position was for a SystemVerilog OVM verification engineer working on PCIe gen 3. NOT one single question on systemverilog, OVM, or PCIe. Not one.

Interview Questions

• how do you help someone who put a battery in a device backwards....yes, this was a real question   Answer Question
  • do a sub string seach of a string using nested loops   Answer Question

Worked for Xilinx? Contribute to the Community!