YBM Education

Relevance Date Difficulty

ESL Teacher Interview

ESL Teacher
Daegu (South Korea)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YBM Education in November 2010.

Interview Details – There was one phone interview. The questions were standard - past experience with education, kids, why you want to come to Korea, why you want to be a teacher, etc.

English Instructor Interview

English Instructor

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YBM Education in April 2012.

Interview Details – Responded to an ad placed on Dave's ESL Cafe, and sent in the documents needed for visa issuance. Documents were sent to the academic supervisor of the branch I had specified in my email submission, and the supervisor contacted me by email two days later to make arrangements for my telephone interview. The interview was about 45 minutes long and ranged from teaching-related questions to questions about personal habits and living abroad.

Interview Question – Because I had no teaching experience, questions related to how to encourage use of particular language structures were the most difficult   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not negotiation phase, as the initial salary and benefits are determined by referring to a set of pay grades based on academic qualifications and teaching experience.

English Teacher Interview

English Teacher

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YBM Education in July 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online (posting my resume, scanned copies of my passport and degree, and a recent photo) and received an email a few days later from the academic supervisor of one of the branches, arranging a time for a telephone interview. Two days later I had the interview, and three days after that I was offered the position. Be prepared to answer questions about your academic background, its relevance to teaching English to Korean students, and teaching experiences you have had, and your personal interest in living abroad.

Interview Question – Asked about my undrestanding of 'communicative methodology'   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation involved. There are corporate guidelines in place that take into account academic background and teaching experience.

Worked for YBM Education? Contribute to the Community!