YES Preparatory Public Schools

4.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at YES Preparatory Public Schools

Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at YES Preparatory Public Schools.

Participated in a phone interview. I did not receive a call back until 2 months later. I went to a interview at the campus. I was given instructions on a presentation to prepare and a consultation to review and answer the responses. I am educated and hard-working. I felt that I was overly prepared because I wanted to give the leadership a good impression of my abilities. The feedback that I received wasn't what I expected. I followed the instructions that was given, I believe that I could have given them what they expected if their instructions were more clear instead of left up to my interpretation of what they wanted.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have difficult questions. I just felt uncomfortable with the feedback that I was given because I followed the instructions precisely what they gave me.   Answer Question

Middle School History Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YES Preparatory Public Schools.

There was an initial application, then a phone interview, and finally an in-person interview which consisted of a 30-minute lesson plan and a 1.5 hour behavioral interview. The behavioral interview was tough and involved lots of role-playing questions. The hypothetical scenario involves a recalcitrant child who acts up in class and how to address the issue to his parents. The parents are however not willing to see your side and doubt your competence as a teacher.

Interview Questions
    • What is more important: meeting deadlines or delivering quality? What is your greatest weakness? Describe a time in which you had conflict with someone.   Answer Question

Middle School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at YES Preparatory Public Schools in December 2012.

The interview process includes a screening, a behavioral interview over the phone, an in person interview that includes the delivery of a lesson plan to a group of students. The screening is very simple. The recruiter will call you and ask you a few questions about your job history and if you have the ability to obtain an official copy of your college transcripts. If you qualify, they will schedule you for an over the phone behavioral interview with a second recruiter. In the behavioral interview, you will be asked a series of questions about what you expect to encounter in a classroom.You will be asked about a time you went over and beyond. You will be asked why you want to teach for them. It is best to demonstrate that you have a desire to teach poor kids, that you love to work long hours. Be sure that you know how to answer behavioral questions and prove you are a leader. If you pass the behavioral interview, you will be selected to interview for their school district. A school director contacts you and puts you in contact with two teachers. You are expected to show that you know how to work as a team by the way that you interact with both teachers. You will have to create two lesson plans with them. The teachers provide you with the objective and their class sizes. On the day of the interview, you will arrive and be provided with a folder that contains lots of information.The in person interview includes a panel of teachers who ask behavioral and technical questions. They allow you to observe a few teachers' classes, prior to delivering your own lesson plans. They make you go to lunch duty and they discourage eating! They would rather you devote your 30 minute lunch to focusing on talking to kids who are in detention. At the end of the day, you are required to reflect on your teaching.They will interview you and ask you about what worked well and what failed. Unfortunately, they do not provide you with the criteria they are looking for in lesson plans. They just expect you to teach and don't tell you how they grade you. The teacher of the class you are in won't handle classroom discipline matters. Instead of asking her talkative and disruptive students to stop talking during your lesson plan, she expects you to handle them. They never inform you that they judge your classroom skills, or that the discipline of student will affect your performance. They have a programs to train new and label their new hires as new teachers, yet they expect you to handle the class like someone who has taught for them for a few years. Ask lots of questions before, during, and after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if parents complain about how much homework you give to students? What if students complain and say that you are unapproachable?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at YES Preparatory Public Schools.

Very long and meticulous, but worth it!

Interview Questions
    • Answering questions based upon teacher/parent interactions   Answer Question
    N/A

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at YES Preparatory Public Schools in June 2011.

I was contacted by the development team lead and asked if I would like to apply for a future opening for a business analyst position. After saying I was interested, we scheduled a brief phone interview. This interview just included some basic questions about my background, and took about 20 minutes. A week later, they requested a group interview via virtual meeting software. A few days before the interview, they asked that I come in person to the interview. I lived in a different city (3 hours away), but was able to schedule a vacation day at my current job so that I could drive down for the interview. This was a group interview, consisting of three people - my to-be supervisor, his supervisor, and a colleague of my supervisor. After this interview (which I thought went very well, since they told me they were impressed with my qualifications and would be contacting me shortly), I didn't hear from them for a few weeks. I emailed twice as a follow-up and eventually got a response - a request for a second group interview.

I scheduled another vacation day and drove down for the interview. I waited for almost an hour before I could be seen, leaving me to believe that they had forgotten about the meeting. Two of the three people with whom I was supposed to meet didn't show up to the interview, when we finally got started. Instead, two developers with whom I would be working (if accepted on the team) and my to-be supervisor conducted a role-playing interview where I gathered system requirements for a potential project they were considering. I verbally summarized the requirements and provided them my notes from the interview.

A week or so later, I received an email requesting a third group interview. Again, I scheduled vacation and drove to their offices. In this meeting, we conducted a second role-playing interview where I gathered system requirements, this time from two internal clients of the division for which I'd be working (if offered a job). They asked me to summarize my findings in a requirements report and send it to them by the end of the day.

After sending the requirements summary document, I received an email thank you and a note that they would follow up with me. Several weeks later, I received a call from one of the internal clients' assistants asking to schedule a one-on-one interview with the client. Again (this is now the fourth trip to their office, which requires 3 hours of driving both ways and a full day of vacation from my job), I went to their offices - this time for the one-on-one interview. This interview focused on why I didn't like my current job, why I wanted to leave, things I didn't like about my boss, and things that I've done wrong. Not too many positives! During the interview, I found out they were considering one other person. After this interview, the client said she would follow up with me after speaking to my to-be supervisor's supervisor. After two weeks, I found out from a friend that they had hired the other woman for the position. I never received any email or call back giving me the "thanks, but no thanks." Two weeks after she started, I heard from a consultant working with YES that she was let go.

So after an extremely long, and somewhat expensive (time and gas money) interview process, they didn't even have the decency to tell me that they didn't like what I had to offer. My experience was with the IT side of the business - I have heard great things about teaching for YES.