YMCA

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Putnam Valley, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – I signed up for an unpaid CIT position the following summer. After successfully proving myself, I filled out a paper application. I was contacted the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview itself was very nonchalant and relaxed. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be receiving a letter of acceptance in a few days.

Interview Question – "A child has run away from your group of children. You have no one else to watch your group, but there are other staff members nearby. What would you do in this situation?"   View Answer

Camp Counselor

I applied online and interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Interviewed on-site. Questions include previous volunteer experience, personal interests, and other typical interview questions.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Camp Counselor

I applied in-person and interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Came in for interview, got a phone call, accepted the job!

Interview Question – What would you say or do if a couple kids acting liked they had feelings for one another?   Answer Question

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – I first put in an application through email directly to the summer camp coordinator at my location. She emailed me back for an interview promptly (Usually for this position they do group interviews but they had all passed by this time.) I was really nervous for my interview and I actually didn't think it went very well, but I got the job!!

Interview Question – How do you handle stress.   View Answer

Camp Counselor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied via postal mail for a camp counselor position that was advertised online. I was contacted right away for an in-person interview. The interview was with the YMCA Director and the childcare division director. It lasted about

Interview Question – What role does religion play in your life?   View Answer

Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – First put in an interview. Then was asked to a group interview, where we were given questions. After that, there were lots of random items, and we were told to create an obstacle course out of them, as well as invent games. It tested our creativity and our willingness to get involved.

Southington, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in May 2008.

Interview Details – They asked questions on why you thought you would be a good fit for the camp. This includes how you would interact with the children and what you'd bring to the table. I was interviewed by the director, and the two coast directors - the camp is divided up into the East Coast and West Coast and it is by age groups.

It is fairly competitive for a summer job, but they have to be because it is one of the larger and well known day camps in the area. Since you'll be dealing with children all day long, they have to be sure of their picks.

On a side note: I had worked in their CIT (Counselor in Training) program, which you paid to do, because you're technically still a camper at that point. I interviewed for a Junior Counselor position, and from there I was asked back each year as a senior counselor.

Interview Question – What would you bring to the camp?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no real negotiation, but on my last year I was able to get a little more money because I could have applied for a director position but they wanted me to do a new specialty camp.

Hickory, NC

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied in the store, and got an interview weeks later. Interviewed in a group of one other person. Questions: Have you been around children? What activities would you do with the children? What is your previous employment and did it involve children?
Afterwards, we had to do a presentation about what activity would we do with kids if it rain.

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in March 2010.

Interview Details – Asked situational questions

Interview Question – What I would do if a child wanted to go home?   Answer Question

Camp Counselor

The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in December 2009.

Interview Details – It was a very brief phone call. They asked me me name and some basic backgroud questions. Then they asked me a couple of case questions and we hung up.

Interview Question – How many ping pong balls can fit in a school bus?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA Camp Counselor interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.