YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions

2.2

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Putnam Valley, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Putnam Valley, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA.

I signed up for an unpaid CIT position the following summer. After successfully proving myself, I filled out a paper application. I was contacted the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview itself was very nonchalant and relaxed. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be receiving a letter of acceptance in a few days.

Interview Questions
  • "A child has run away from your group of children. You have no one else to watch your group, but there are other staff members nearby. What would you do in this situation?"   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online - interviewed at YMCA.

Interviewed on-site. Questions include previous volunteer experience, personal interests, and other typical interview questions.

Camp Counselor Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at YMCA.

Came in for interview, got a phone call, accepted the job!

Interview Questions
    • What would you say or do if a couple kids acting liked they had feelings for one another?   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

I first put in an application through email directly to the summer camp coordinator at my location. She emailed me back for an interview promptly (Usually for this position they do group interviews but they had all passed by this time.) I was really nervous for my interview and I actually didn't think it went very well, but I got the job!!

Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

I applied via postal mail for a camp counselor position that was advertised online. I was contacted right away for an in-person interview. The interview was with the YMCA Director and the childcare division director. It lasted about

Interview Questions
    • What role does religion play in your life?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

First put in an interview. Then was asked to a group interview, where we were given questions. After that, there were lots of random items, and we were told to create an obstacle course out of them, as well as invent games. It tested our creativity and our willingness to get involved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southington, CT

The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in May 2008.

They asked questions on why you thought you would be a good fit for the camp. This includes how you would interact with the children and what you'd bring to the table. I was interviewed by the director, and the two coast directors - the camp is divided up into the East Coast and West Coast and it is by age groups.

It is fairly competitive for a summer job, but they have to be because it is one of the larger and well known day camps in the area. Since you'll be dealing with children all day long, they have to be sure of their picks.

On a side note: I had worked in their CIT (Counselor in Training) program, which you paid to do, because you're technically still a camper at that point. I interviewed for a Junior Counselor position, and from there I was asked back each year as a senior counselor.

Interview Questions
    There is no real negotiation, but on my last year I was able to get a little more money because I could have applied for a director position but they wanted me to do a new specialty camp.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hickory, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Applied in the store, and got an interview weeks later. Interviewed in a group of one other person. Questions: Have you been around children? What activities would you do with the children? What is your previous employment and did it involve children?
    Afterwards, we had to do a presentation about what activity would we do with kids if it rain.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in March 2010.

Asked situational questions

Camp Counselor Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in December 2009.

It was a very brief phone call. They asked me me name and some basic backgroud questions. Then they asked me a couple of case questions and we hung up.

Interview Questions

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!