YMCA Camp Counselor Interview Questions

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA (Boston, MA).

Interview

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Putnam Valley, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA (Putnam Valley, NY).

Interview

I signed up for an unpaid CIT position the following summer. After successfully proving myself, I filled out a paper application. I was contacted the next day and scheduled an interview. The interview itself was very nonchalant and relaxed. At the end of the interview, I was told that I would be receiving a letter of acceptance in a few days.

Interview Questions

• "A child has run away from your group of children. You have no one else to watch your group, but there are other staff members nearby. What would you do in this situation?"   1 Answer

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Interviewed on-site. Questions include previous volunteer experience, personal interests, and other typical interview questions.

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Came in for interview, got a phone call, accepted the job!

Interview Questions

• What would you say or do if a couple kids acting liked they had feelings for one another?   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Interview

I first put in an application through email directly to the summer camp coordinator at my location. She emailed me back for an interview promptly (Usually for this position they do group interviews but they had all passed by this time.) I was really nervous for my interview and I actually didn't think it went very well, but I got the job!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

First put in an interview. Then was asked to a group interview, where we were given questions. After that, there were lots of random items, and we were told to create an obstacle course out of them, as well as invent games. It tested our creativity and our willingness to get involved.

Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

Interview

I applied via postal mail for a camp counselor position that was advertised online. I was contacted right away for an in-person interview. The interview was with the YMCA Director and the childcare division director. It lasted about

Interview Questions

• What role does religion play in your life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YMCA (Hickory, NC) in April 2011.

Interview

Applied in the store, and got an interview weeks later. Interviewed in a group of one other person. Questions: Have you been around children? What activities would you do with the children? What is your previous employment and did it involve children?
    Afterwards, we had to do a presentation about what activity would we do with kids if it rain.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Asked situational questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southington, CT

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA (Southington, CT) in May 2008.

Interview

They asked questions on why you thought you would be a good fit for the camp. This includes how you would interact with the children and what you'd bring to the table. I was interviewed by the director, and the two coast directors - the camp is divided up into the East Coast and West Coast and it is by age groups.

It is fairly competitive for a summer job, but they have to be because it is one of the larger and well known day camps in the area. Since you'll be dealing with children all day long, they have to be sure of their picks.

On a side note: I had worked in their CIT (Counselor in Training) program, which you paid to do, because you're technically still a camper at that point. I interviewed for a Junior Counselor position, and from there I was asked back each year as a senior counselor.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no real negotiation, but on my last year I was able to get a little more money because I could have applied for a director position but they wanted me to do a new specialty camp.