YMCA Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.3

Day Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

I first got an email inviting me to A group interview that required everyone to work in teams creating activities for the kids and solving issues together. The interviewer would then point out good ideas discussed and criticize bad ideas. I then received an email to have a phone interview the week following to discuss my experience with children

Interview Questions
    • How would you solve a disagreement between two young campers   View Answer

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA.

The interview was very casual. We talked about experiences and availability. We discussed trainings required for the position and I already had many of the needed required skills and certifications.

I interviewed and was hired in the same day. In the end it just came down to how we got along.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any previous lifeguard experience   View Answer

After School Staff Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA.

Very friendly and laid back environment. Interview was roughly 30 minutes. Questions were what you would expect....was asked to choose one word from company mission statement and describe how it best fits me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself. What would you do if confronted by angry parent.   Answer Question

Fitness Coach Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Applied online and heard back within a week that I got an interview. Went there, talked about the position and why I would be a good fit for it. Took a tour and walked around the facility. After the interview, heard back that I got the position within a week. Accepted. Easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you interact with staff, members who aren't happy?   Answer Question

Membership Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

asked questions right away. describe myself and what I know about the ymca. asked a lot in a few minutes, nervous. spoke too two people, then they just talked about the position

Member Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Algiers, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Algiers, LA

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA in February 2015.

Brief- basic questions, seemed rehearsed. I dropped off an application and received an interview appointment two days later. The interview said he would get back to me in a few days. Asked what I knew about YMCA, how do I handle stress, strengths and weaknesses, why would I be a good fit working there. I know the pay is $8.00 an hour and there is a discount on membership.

Lifeguard/Swim Instructor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA.

The process took about an hour. I was asked what program I got my certification through, my experience working with children, and my available hours. Then I was asked how I would work with a difficult child.

Obviously, your advisor may push the Y certification program, but Red Cross will work just as well. As long as everything is current, you're in the clear.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about the values of the YMCA and how would you reflect those into your work?"   Answer Question

Day Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Emailed my resume to head of childcare department, got a phone call later that day to schedule interview. Interview was focused on my prior experience and behavioral questions to assess my ability to hold the position. Was offered position 4 days later by phone and had to go in twice for paperwork/training.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been responsible for disciplinary actions?   Answer Question
    No negotiating, pay was hourly minimum wage.

YMCA Camp Counselor Interview

Friend told me one of the counselors left and they needed someone, applied the next day got an email hours later to come in for an interview next week, 3 days after got the job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a situation with a child who is being disruptive?   Answer Question

Child Watch Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA.

It was a wonderful interview process and extremely in depth. The YMCA prides itself on hiring high quality employees and goes through an extensive application interview to ensure your values are in alignment with the YMCA values.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a parent experiencing separation anxiety when leaving their child with us?   Answer Question
    No negotiation for this part-time position but it was clearly expressed there would be an opportunity for a raise in 6 months.