YMCA

299 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard Interview

Swimming Instructor and Lifeguard

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – My supervisor asked me if I would like to apply to work after I had volunteered there. I applied and after phone and email communication had one interview and a practical evaluation. The interview was very straight forward. I knew all of my training and the technical questions I was asked.

Interview Question – How to deal with specific situations as a lifeguard. Technical things you should know if you remember and review your training.   Answer Question

Childcare Interview

Childcare
Downers Grove, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called to schedule an interview. I went in 3 days later and was interviewed by the head of the childcare department. I knew many people that had referred me to the job and had put in good words about me, so she barely asked any questions and told me I'd been hired, but since the hours I could work didn't work for that position she said I would be working for another department. I was sent home with a packet of papers to fill out and returned them the next day. Waited 2 weeks and called to see what the hold up was. She said she would talk to the other department head and get back to me. No call. I called again and she said the same thing. No call again. I gave up and a month later received an email telling me I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at the ymca?
Questions about different scenarios handling children.
  Answer Question

Immigration Case Manager : Houston, TX Interview

Immigration Case Manager : Houston, TX
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at YMCA in July 2014.

Interview Details – YMCA was very quick about getting back to me. I am currently out of state, so we conducted an interview over the phone. It was pretty laid back & standard questions i.e. most difficult client, most difficult co-worker, greatest strengths etc. They're planning on having a final answer back to me within two weeks as to final hiring procedures.

Interview Questions

Membership Sales Associate Interview

Membership Sales Associate
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call from membership director after 2 weeks. I had one interview with the membership director face to face. Very general interview process, nice people, nice culture and environment

Interview Question – What is the core Value of YMCA? What are your goals in five years horizon?   Answer Question

Head Lifeguard Interview

Head Lifeguard

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – There was one single interview. I was called after I submitted my application and told the date of my interview. When I arrived I was informed it was a group interview (about 5 of us). The interviewer asked questions about emergencies and how we would deal with them.

Interview Question – The interviewer asked questions about emergencies and how we would deal with them.   Answer Question

Child Care Assistant Interview

Child Care Assistant
Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Basic interview, reference checks and background check. Lucky for members this employer conducts routine drug screens prior to hiring as well. Be prepared for the interviewer to actually call the references you give them. They will want to know all your experiences, good and bad, in caring of children. All in all, a typical and basic interview.

Interview Question – Describe any negative experiences you may have had in caring for children   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations--you get a free membership and minimum wage!

Personal Trainer Interview

Personal Trainer

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – Short, informal meet-and-greet with department manager. I told them about my passion for fitness and my willingness to make a career helping people. I was hired on the spot. I wouldnt say this was a challenging interview.

Interview Question – All questions were expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – n/a

Receptionist Interview

Receptionist

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in June 2010.

Interview Details – I received an application from walking into the establishment. I had a very laid back interview with the membership director soon after applying. After having about a 30-45 minute one on one interview, I was required to fill out necessary paperwork including a background check, drug test, and a child abuse check. Also, I had to watch training videos and take short tests on them soon after. Overall easy process.

Interview Question – Biggest weakness in a customer service position   Answer Question

Group Leader Interview

Group Leader
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2013.

Interview Details – I already worked there over the summer when there was summer camp so I did not need a formal interview for the group leader position. The interview for the summer was not too intimidating. I was interviewed along with another person and I made the cut.

Interview Question – Was there ever a time that there was miscommunication between you and a person?   Answer Question

YMCA Youth Counselor Interview

YMCA Youth Counselor
Kingwood, TX

I applied in-person and interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – I was called for an interview about a week after filling out the application and turning it in in person. It was a group interview with two people asking mainly situational questions in dealing with child behavior. The two ladies were really nice and informative of the type of work we would be doing.

Interview Question – How would you define discipline?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA interview questions and advice. All 299 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.