YMCA

Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.3

Fitness Coach Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Applied online and heard back within a week that I got an interview. Went there, talked about the position and why I would be a good fit for it. Took a tour and walked around the facility. After the interview, heard back that I got the position within a week. Accepted. Easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you interact with staff, members who aren't happy?   Answer Question

Membership Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

asked questions right away. describe myself and what I know about the ymca. asked a lot in a few minutes, nervous. spoke too two people, then they just talked about the position

Lifeguard/Swim Instructor Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA.

The process took about an hour. I was asked what program I got my certification through, my experience working with children, and my available hours. Then I was asked how I would work with a difficult child.

Obviously, your advisor may push the Y certification program, but Red Cross will work just as well. As long as everything is current, you're in the clear.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you know about the values of the YMCA and how would you reflect those into your work?"   Answer Question

Day Camp Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Emailed my resume to head of childcare department, got a phone call later that day to schedule interview. Interview was focused on my prior experience and behavioral questions to assess my ability to hold the position. Was offered position 4 days later by phone and had to go in twice for paperwork/training.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been responsible for disciplinary actions?   Answer Question
    No negotiating, pay was hourly minimum wage.

YMCA Camp Counselor Interview

Friend told me one of the counselors left and they needed someone, applied the next day got an email hours later to come in for an interview next week, 3 days after got the job.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a situation with a child who is being disruptive?   Answer Question

Child Watch Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA.

It was a wonderful interview process and extremely in depth. The YMCA prides itself on hiring high quality employees and goes through an extensive application interview to ensure your values are in alignment with the YMCA values.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a parent experiencing separation anxiety when leaving their child with us?   Answer Question
    No negotiation for this part-time position but it was clearly expressed there would be an opportunity for a raise in 6 months.

Group Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YMCA.

Longest interview process ever. Some interview over the phone some in person once you get pass that process you have to go get finger printed and drug tested then wait around till your background check and drug test comes back clean then finally sign your new hire paper work. My whole process took about two months

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Easy, phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes and an in-person interview the following week with the center director and one other person. Got a call one week later with a job offer and had one 3 days to accept or decline.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? I honestly did not want to work there at the time, but needed a job. And now I love it!!   Answer Question
    did not negotiate. I had a degree and was desperate for a job...any job.

Lead Head Start Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

There will be two interviews. The first one was with the director and education supervisor. They will take turn asking questions and will have a back and forth conversation with you. It is pretty easy if you know what you are talking about. After that if they like you, you will be asked to come in and do a working interview. They will place you in a room and will let you interact with the the teachers and children for about a hour. There are cameras in the room so I'm sure they are watching you the whole time. After that they will call and offer you the job. Took about a week to do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a parent who was upset with you and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation

Part-Time Custodian Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at YMCA in January 2015.

Applied in August 2014. Called for 15 minute phone interview January 2015. I was a bit surprised by the phone call given the time between submitting the application and the call. Anyway, typical behavorial questions during the phone interview. "Describe a time where you had to deal with an uncomfortable situtation. How did you handle it?"

At the end of the 15 minute interview with the hiring manager, I was told to expect an email to give permission to conduct a background check. I received the email six days later.