YMCA Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

2.3

Senior Counselor Interview

It was for a counselor position at a summer camp. Fairly simple application and interview process. One phone interview and then one in-person interview.They were extremely friendly, easy to talk to. We met at a coffee shop. It was a fairly easy.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions about what you would do with kids regarding safety procedures   Answer Question

Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

My fourth and most recent summer working for them, I applied online and never heard back until I called my boss from the previous year to ask what happened. I then had to submit application paperwork about 2.5 times before I was officially hired.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview any year I worked there. It was odd.   View Answer
    There was no negotiating the salary. You either get what they offer, or they pick someone who will. (They have a very limited budget being a non profit and they care less about part time employees.)

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Very simple, they called, I answered. The interview was over Skype. The YMCA hires a lot of people from outside the US so Skype is one of the more efficient ways of interacting. They'll mostly ask you about experience with teaching and leadership qualifications.

Front Desk Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

By the books when it comes to interviews. Very standard interview questions. Practice top 10 interview questions and you will be set. If you are part of a group interview, make sure you speak up and voice your opinion

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Asked about previous experience and why you chose YMCA. Gave a detailed situation that occurs and asks how you would handle it and what procedure you should take afterwards. They asked you about the history of the company and how you feel about the company.

Child Care Aide Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

The director was very friendly and welcoming. I was scheduled for an interview with them the same day. Be yourself and you're bound to be successful. I had 2 interviews. One was face to face and the other one was to "see if it was the right job for me. Can't start until orientation is complete.

Interview Questions
    They're very firm on wages. Minimum wage is the best you'll get until you either get promoted or provide proof that you are an education major and taking edu classes.

Lifeguard Interview

Walked in and they gave me the job, I expected to be asked some questions about my skill level and experience but I was instead asked my availability and how soon I could start. Very easy interview process, hardly considered an interview.

Half Time Director of Development Interview

Excellent with the CEO and as the Board wanted nothing to do with fundraising they were not involved in the process nor interested in the position - that is all.

not really as I saw that I could provide needed support for the CEO and raise major and foundation giving to provide an increase in the overall giving to programming, services, scholarships and help to meet other needs

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at YMCA.

Pretty basic. You need to know about the company, be ready to talk about why you want to work there and what you can contribute. Know their environment. Be ready to speak about your past experience and your resume and what is on it. Be an outgoing individual, you will be the face of the business and they need to see that you are a relatable person and someone who they would enjoy having around.

Interview Questions
    • Name a weakness or how would you handle a difficult customer   View Answer

Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Spring Hill, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Hill, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA.

I filled out an application and I was called for an interview with the Aquatics Director. The interview was quick and consisted of basic questions like why are you interested in this job? What are your past experience as a lifeguard? Availability? Certifications?

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were pretty basic, perhaps the most difficult was why would I like to work as a lifeguard? Be prepared for scenario questions as to how to perform under an emergency.   Answer Question

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!