YMCA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.3

Swim Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Rockford, IL).

Interview

You are asked to attend a group interview first and then apply for open positions following the interview. Then if you are called for an open position you applied to you have to attend a 1 on 1 interview. The 1 on 1 Interview was brief, involved a lot of behavioral/situation questions

Interview Questions

• Q: If a child is scared of the water, how do you help to alleviate that fear?   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Big Bear Lake, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Big Bear Lake, CA).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a group interview with three current employees conducting the interview. Questions included basic interview questions such as tell me about yourself and why you're interested in the position. There was also emphasis on experience/behavioral based questions such as asking to provide examples of times in which I did more than was required of me in a professional role, how I have dealt with and addressed work related challenges, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which you did more than what was required of you in a job, and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Tree Lot Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Pedro, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (San Pedro, CA).

Interview

You initially applied with a resume, and then after set individual interviews. If you passed the individual interviews, you had to be a part of a group orientation, which included an introduction to YMCA policies and values. We were then required to get background checks and thumbprints done. After the tasks were complete, then we were permitted to work at the YMCA and the tree lot.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable leading a group of high school aged volunteers?   1 Answer

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

I showed up about 10 minutes early and went to a small office near the pool. The interviewer asked me to pull up a chair at the table. I was asked about 5 very easy questions, while lifeguards walked in and out of the office. Then, we went over scheduling and the training that I would have to do (a weekend class). Very casual, interviewer was very friendly and kept it short.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. I sent in my resume by email online after seeing an opening on their site. I was contacted about a week later with details concerning the interview date and what I needed to bring. At the interview, I was tested on my swimming, my rescue techniques, cpr, and also my general knowledge and what to do in hypothetical situations. You will need to take a urinalysis drug test and sign for a backround check. About 3 hours long.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do if you were opening up the pool but the other lifeguard was not here yet?"   1 Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

After submitting my application, I waited for about a month or so. When I did receive a call to come in for an interview, we decided to set up an interview for the following day. The interview itself was the most pleasant job interview I've experienced in my life because I could see the dedication and passion in the interviewer. She was not only passionate about helping the clients and employees but also helping me understand the organizational environment and culture.

Interview Questions

• Which personal training certification do you hold?   1 Answer
    • How much experience do you have as a personal trainer?   1 Answer
    • Would you be willing to take fitness consultation courses and provide as much help to the clients through consultation programs?   Answer Question

YMCA Camp Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at YMCA (North Myrtle Beach, Horry, SC) in August 2015.

Interview

Direct consice wanted sales experience and background stats of past jobs within the scope of application and position. Being sought at the time of the interview with them. This part is insane and I am so tired of typing just to get unlimited access to this sire

Call Center Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I'm not sure if this position still exists anymore. The interview was pretty simple, first was a phone interview then a face to face and during this time I was given a mock phone call of how I would talk to someone over the phone on membership.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you gave great customer service?   Answer Question

Child Watch Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was awesome! We had to lead a song for some kids and then we had to make a craft out of supplies that they gave us. We had to also right about out character. The overall experience is great

Preschool Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (San Diego, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Horrible experience. While I was the only interviewee, I did not get called in until an hour after my scheduled interview time. There were over three pages of questions and the interview took about an hour to complete. Three people were on the panel and one of them continued to interrupt and deviate from the questions. The particular preschool where I applied is advertised as being accredited but they revealed in the interview that it is not. This is dishonest and misleading to employees and customers. Upon me asking questions at the end, I was informed that they will follow up and provide feedback in a couple weeks. It's been a month and I have yet to hear anything despite following up with them. Based on my experience, interviewing with the Y was a mistake and total waste of time. You would think that a"Christian organization" would value people regardless of whether they are a current or prospective employee. Bottom line is, I will not be applying to work at such a place and if feedback is ever provided, it will be taken as a grain of salt.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself.   Answer Question
    • If an employee is coming to work late and this is their first job, how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • What do you think the teachers need to do their job?   Answer Question