YMCA Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

Assistant Business Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at YMCA in September 2011.

The intial interview was with the Business Manager, which went well. The second interview consisted of a panel of three. The positions of the panel was business executive, comptroller, and human resource manager. The second interview I found to be very uncomfortable, especially when the executive started texting.

Interview Questions
    • At your previous or present job have you performed variance analysis?   View Answer

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

Regional Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in June 2009.

Interview process was a joke for the position. I was interviewed by 7 different individuals who fired questions randomly for a position that paid barely 25K per year. When the position was offered (I have over 13 years of experience), the salary did not even fall within the range that the posted job listed.

Interview Questions
    • Had very specific questions regarding events that had obviously occurred and were very obscure.   Answer Question
    There was no budging on salary and at the time I was unemployed and need the job.

Program Director Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in July 2009.

Multiple parts to the process including a behavioral type of interview in front of a group.

Vice President Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at YMCA in July 2010.

Apply at local branches or on line

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for our organization?   View Answer
    easy

Youth Leader Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at YMCA.

Applied online. They call and inform you that you will need to prepare a song & game for the panel/group interview. You perform the song & teach the game and also answer interview questions in between.

Interview Questions
    • If you could describe yourself as any kitchen appliance, what would you be?   View Answer

Assistant Business Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at YMCA in July 2013.

I was recruited from an outside company who works with the YMCA. I had a phone interview with the recruiter and then I had an interview set up with the Branch Executive and Business Manager. The Branch Executive asked me the normal interview questions, my skills, what can I bring to the role and also wanted to know what I knew about the YMCA. The Business Manager was extremely detailed with the questions, wanting to know everything I did at my former company and wanted very detailed answers. Pretty difficult interview.

Interview Questions
    • The standard "where do you see yourself in five years" and "tell me about a time you came into conflict with your supervisor". These questions are pretty pointless and made to trip you up.   Answer Question
    I didn't really have to negotiate, they really wanted me and gave me the salary I was looking for.

Maintenance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in October 2009.

was a three manager panel interview, with several questions repeated with slight change to the wording

Interview Questions
    • How would you proceed when discovering a deceased person in the building.   Answer Question
    Zero negotiation, before or during employment

Summer Camp Counsellor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Asked a form from the front desk and handed it in.
    Couple of days later I got called for an interview.
    It was a group interview with 3 people, one being the director.
    They checked my reference and then received a call a week after.

Interview Questions
    • None basic personality questions.
      What you can contribute to the company
        Answer Question
    It was seasonal, asked if I could be flexible in my role. Like could I be a sports counselor for two weeks and then an aquatics counselor the next 2 weeks.

Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in December 2012.

Group interviews usually of 4 or more people for an after school position. If applying for summer, the group size increases to about 8 to 10 groups of 4 to 5 people. The process will take you through various situations and the panel of site directors will ask questions directed either at the whole group or parts of the group. Do your best to answer first and thoughtfully, while if answering second don't say, "I agree with what the previous person said".

Interview Questions
    • How would you approach a situation where a child hits her head on the pavement and is hurt or unconscious either at the pool, on a field trip or at school?   View Answer
    There isn't that much of negotiation if you lack experience, the individual site director determines how much they will pay you based on your interview and experience.

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!