YMCA

298 candidate interviews

Assistant Business Operator Interview

Assistant Business Operator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at YMCA in September 2011.

Interview Details – The intial interview was with the Business Manager, which went well. The second interview consisted of a panel of three. The positions of the panel was business executive, comptroller, and human resource manager. The second interview I found to be very uncomfortable, especially when the executive started texting.

Interview Question – At your previous or present job have you performed variance analysis?   View Answer

Regional Director Interview

Regional Director
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in June 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process was a joke for the position. I was interviewed by 7 different individuals who fired questions randomly for a position that paid barely 25K per year. When the position was offered (I have over 13 years of experience), the salary did not even fall within the range that the posted job listed.

Interview Question – Had very specific questions regarding events that had obviously occurred and were very obscure.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no budging on salary and at the time I was unemployed and need the job.

Language Assessor Interview

Language Assessor
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at YMCA in December 2013.

Interview Details – One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Question – Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

Program Evaluation Specialist Interview

Program Evaluation Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Filled out online application, completed phone screening and panel interviews. I made it to the first round of interviews which included 2 panels interviews and a meeting with the director of the department. I was not asked to come back but there was also another round of panel interviews with the remaining members of the department

Interview Question – The process was long.   Answer Question

Leader Interview

Leader
San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in December 2012.

Interview Details – Group interviews usually of 4 or more people for an after school position. If applying for summer, the group size increases to about 8 to 10 groups of 4 to 5 people. The process will take you through various situations and the panel of site directors will ask questions directed either at the whole group or parts of the group. Do your best to answer first and thoughtfully, while if answering second don't say, "I agree with what the previous person said".

Interview Question – How would you approach a situation where a child hits her head on the pavement and is hurt or unconscious either at the pool, on a field trip or at school?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't that much of negotiation if you lack experience, the individual site director determines how much they will pay you based on your interview and experience.

Nursery School Director Interview

Nursery School Director

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – From initial contact to final interview (I was one of two finalists for the position) the environment was professional, easy to follow and pleasant. It's clear that the New Canaan Y has a strong process in place for recruitment. Multiple interview rounds reflected the team's commitment to finding a qualified candidate. Excellent experience all around!

Interview Question – How do you feel about parents who want to become more involved in their child's classroom?   Answer Question

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Summer Camp Counselor
Burlington, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in May 2011.

Interview Details – The application was really long -- like a series of mini essays asking a variety of questions. What was your most challenging moment? What was your biggest mistake? Stuff like that. I filled it all out and was called for the interview where they asked variations on the application questions

Interview Question – How would you handle certain situations with a child...   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA in February 2014.

Interview Details – One phone interview then full day round-robin style in-person interview with literally everyone on the team. It was exhausting.

Summer Camp Counsellor Interview

Summer Camp Counsellor
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in May 2012.

Interview Details – Asked a form from the front desk and handed it in.
Couple of days later I got called for an interview.
It was a group interview with 3 people, one being the director.
They checked my reference and then received a call a week after.

Interview Question – None basic personality questions.
What you can contribute to the company
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was seasonal, asked if I could be flexible in my role. Like could I be a sports counselor for two weeks and then an aquatics counselor the next 2 weeks.

Youth Leader Interview

Youth Leader

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Applied online. They call and inform you that you will need to prepare a song & game for the panel/group interview. You perform the song & teach the game and also answer interview questions in between.

Interview Question – If you could describe yourself as any kitchen appliance, what would you be?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA interview questions and advice. All 298 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.