YMCA

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.3

BASE Aide Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA in December 2014.

Filling out the application online is the easy part, after filling that out I received a phone call and email asking to set up a time for the initial interview. When going in for the first time, there is a packet of questions your supervisor will have to ask, they are simple; Have you had experience?, Why do you want this Job?, What do you have to offer working here?, etc. After that first interview, you will be contacted for a follow up, you will come in read some papers telling you the guidelines of the company and your job specifically, then once done reading the terms, signing papers, filling out your basic information. You will be handed a sheet to get a physical/TB test done, along with another sheet that allows you to get your fingerprints done at the local sheriff's office. (The Physical, and Fingerprints are paid for by the Y), they also run a background check before considering a new hire. After all of the physical results, and fingerprints are sent back, the next step is talking to HR. There you will fill out W2 forms, sign more papers, create your membership profile, etc. Then you get your shirts & name tag as your uniform, then you start working.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was "Tell me about yourself" simply because that can go into different aspects, should I say where I want to see myself, or my experience, what I am currently doing or trying to do with my life.. Since there was already a "Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?" question and it's a pet peeve to repeat things I have said that will or has already answered a question.   Answer Question

Child Watch Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA.

It was a wonderful interview process and extremely in depth. The YMCA prides itself on hiring high quality employees and goes through an extensive application interview to ensure your values are in alignment with the YMCA values.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a parent experiencing separation anxiety when leaving their child with us?   Answer Question
    No negotiation for this part-time position but it was clearly expressed there would be an opportunity for a raise in 6 months.

Membership Sales Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Applied online, which is how most hiring at the Y is done. The branch's Sales Director called me a few days later to do a phone interview (basically reviewing my resume).

After the phone interview, I went into the branch for an in-person interview with the Sales Director. This interview was pretty basic and a lot of situational/behavioral questions. The main thing he was looking for in that interview was if my personality would mesh well with the team and if I was believable (basically, if he would buy something from me). I know those were the things he was looking for specifically because he told me after I worked there for a while (I was curious!). Sales Directors come in all styles though, so some directors may be looking for a much more aggressive sales style than what mine was.

After the branch interview with the Sales Director, I was contacted a few days later to schedule another interview with the District Sales Director (usually the 3rd interview would be with the VP of Membership Sales but he was out of town that week). This took place at HQ (the ATC) and was focused more on the organizational level of the job and the Y's culture. The guy didn't give anything away - I left knowing that he either loved me or hated me but I had no idea which one it was.

A couple days later, the Sales Director called me with an offer. Overall, the process was pretty quick since that location was in immediate need of a sales advisor.

Interview Questions
    • I had very little direct sales experience so the District Sales Director asked how my customer service skills would benefit me in sales. Easy enough.   Answer Question
    I was emailed an offer letter and a detailed description of the incentive plan for sales, which I accepted without negotiation. You are paid an hourly base (be thankful you're not salaried) and can earn up to 140% of your base if you hit accelerators based on your monthly goal (100%, 110%, 120%, etc). Monthly goals are very attainable.

Group Leader Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at YMCA.

Longest interview process ever. Some interview over the phone some in person once you get pass that process you have to go get finger printed and drug tested then wait around till your background check and drug test comes back clean then finally sign your new hire paper work. My whole process took about two months

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Easy, phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes and an in-person interview the following week with the center director and one other person. Got a call one week later with a job offer and had one 3 days to accept or decline.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? I honestly did not want to work there at the time, but needed a job. And now I love it!!   Answer Question
    did not negotiate. I had a degree and was desperate for a job...any job.

Lead Head Start Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

There will be two interviews. The first one was with the director and education supervisor. They will take turn asking questions and will have a back and forth conversation with you. It is pretty easy if you know what you are talking about. After that if they like you, you will be asked to come in and do a working interview. They will place you in a room and will let you interact with the the teachers and children for about a hour. There are cameras in the room so I'm sure they are watching you the whole time. After that they will call and offer you the job. Took about a week to do.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a parent who was upset with you and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation

Summer Camp Counselor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YMCA in February 2011.

Application and then quick 15 minute interview with person making hiring decision. Wanted to know history of my camp experiences mostly. We then discussed ways camp could be fun for both the children and the counsellors while staying safe.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you didn't get along with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative (Part Time) Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Submitted in person application form to front desk
    Got a phone call in about a week to schedule for in person
    Was interviewed by a Supervisor and was hired on the spot
    Pretty straight forward

Interview Questions
    • Questions overall weren't hard
      Typical interview questions.
      If you were on the phone with a client while another client came to the gym in person seeking assistance, what would you do?

Answer Question
    No negotiation / I did not negotiate
    Pay was fair

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

Pretty straight forward. I contacted the Volunteer Coordinator inquiring if they are accepting placement student. And then after that she asked me to hand in my resume by email. By the next day they they had set up a time and day which they would interview me. If you are successful you just have to complete required documentation.

Interview Questions
    • when was the time there was a conflict that you have to resolve it, and what was your course of action?   Answer Question

Membership Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in June 2013.

dRESS PROFESSIONALLY. tHE INTERVIEW IS THE SAME BASIC hr QUESTIONS THEY WILL ASK ANYWHERE. bE KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT THE COMPANY AND THE CORE VALUES. Loosen up and be honest. Convey positive intent and the desire to help others. They are very emotive. Other than that everything else is pretty simple. Be able to speak to your ability to work as a team and work independently. Understand the importance of work life balance.

NO NEGOTIATION