YMCA

Relevance Date Difficulty

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

YMCA Lifeguard
Bethany, OK

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at YMCA in June 2013.

Interview Details – I went through 36-hours of training to become YMCA Lifeguard certified and it just so happened that the aquatic director that I spoke to about working there was a training instructor. As we worked through the week of training, she asked me questions about why I wanted to work for them, my experience, etc. By the end of the training she was pretty confident in what she saw that she wanted me for the job. We had a brief interview over the basics and an orientation of the workplace.

Interview Question – The only difficult questions was to explain why I desired to work at the YMCA and specifically why I chose Lifeguarding.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My boss just offered me the job and I took it. There wasn't really any negotiation because the pay is fixed by the YMCA. As far as hours go, we were able to discuss flexible options to work with my school schedule. Everything worked out great.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
New Haven, CT

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in June 2013.

Interview Details – two phone interviews, one in person with four interviewers -- one of the panel had conducted a phone interview with me; she was lovely and established a great rapport on the phone --the other three had such disparate personalities (and it did not appear to be part of the interview strategy but rather do to internal priority differences -- not the impression to convey to an interviewee)

Interview Question – The problem was that the four interviewers were not on the same page. The tension between the interviewers during the course of the 75 minute interview was palpable.   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Lifeguard
Monroe, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Easy, very relaxing, standard HR questions. The whole process took approx 10-15 min. As this was lifeguardpostion there was a skills test involved. They would prefer if you were YMCA cert, but they will take others if you show you know your stuff.

Interview Question – know the core values to the YMCA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – nope

Active Older Adult Program Instructor Interview

Active Older Adult Program Instructor

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – After submitting an application I was called in to meet with the Active Older Adult Director for an interview. She asked me some questions about my experience and had me fill out some paperwork at the interview and then called me a week or so later telling me the day she wanted me to start. I received no training and she wasn't even in the building on my first day.

Interview Question – I wasn't asked any difficult or unexpected questions at this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations at the YMCA? Are you serious??

Wellness Director Interview

Wellness Director

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – The executive director I was interviewed by was very nice. She didn't ask any questions out of the ordinary. Each one applied to the position. She was open and talked a lot about the facility and what she was looking for in the search of the wellness director position.

Interview Question – I can't say there was any unexpected or difficult questions in the interview.   Answer Question

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor Interview

Lifeguard and Swim Instructor

Interviewed at YMCA

Interview Details – Quick, must be certified in all required areas, Lifeguard, Oxygen, CPR, First-Aid AED, must meet with the director. Prior work experience is always helpful to a quick hiring process. If you also want to be a swim instructor you must have completed the certifications needed to be an instructor,

Interview Question – What does the YMCA mean to you   Answer Question

Preschool Teacher Interview

Preschool Teacher
Montecito, CA

I interviewed at YMCA in June 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring process was not very extensive. The questions were very straightforward, asking only about prior experience and responses to various situations with students. There were 4 people asking questions to one interviewee, but everyone was very laid back and made it a comfortable experience.

Interview Question – The only moderately unexpected question was "tell me what the motto of the YMCA means to you"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. The salary was fixed and did not increase based on experience.

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

YMCA Lifeguard
Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – The interview process was primarily conducted at the primary YMCA of Central Florida. I got hired by my boss by being persistent and returning every week looking for an answer on my application.

Interview Question – Not really any tough questions asked.   Answer Question

LIfe Guard Interview

LIfe Guard

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Got hired by pool manager, he knew my swimming skill, gave me an life guard instruction booklet to study before the interview. And tested in swimming skill in endurance and ability to save people.

Interview Question – role of life guard   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Member Services Representative Interview

Member Services Representative
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the association's website and was called in for an interview about a week later. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 staff members - one was the department director. The interview lasted about 30 minutes mostly with questions about my prior employment and why I was applying at the YMCA.

Interview Question – One question/answer they seemed very interested in was if I had ever been a Y member before. I had learned to swim as a child at a Y and there was a lot of talk about that. Also, they asked if money was important to me. I found it odd at the time but possibly they were asking since they had not had staff raises in several years.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA