YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

1.7

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

Straight forward. Did a phone screen, then an in person interview and an in the water test. Overall process was in line with other interviews I'd done for pool lifeguard positions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

Walked in and they gave me the job, I expected to be asked some questions about my skill level and experience but I was instead asked my availability and how soon I could start. Very easy interview process, hardly considered an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Hill, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at YMCA (Spring Hill, FL).

Interview

I filled out an application and I was called for an interview with the Aquatics Director. The interview was quick and consisted of basic questions like why are you interested in this job? What are your past experience as a lifeguard? Availability? Certifications?

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were pretty basic, perhaps the most difficult was why would I like to work as a lifeguard? Be prepared for scenario questions as to how to perform under an emergency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA (Monroe, WA).

Interview

Easy, very relaxing, standard HR questions. The whole process took approx 10-15 min. As this was lifeguardpostion there was a skills test involved. They would prefer if you were YMCA cert, but they will take others if you show you know your stuff.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

nope

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was my first job interview, the interviewing process was quicker and easier than I had stressed about. Applied online, submitted cover letter and resume and got a quick email from HR. I went into the actual YMCA and asked about applying and met the supervisor in charge of my department. Scheduled an interview and that was all to it.

Interview Questions

• They gave out a list of advanced terms and asked you to provide the definition.   Answer Question
    • What would I do if ____ happened?   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Submitted my application without a resume. I was called in for an interview the next week. The interview was very laid back. Note that I already had 2 years of lifeguarding beforehand. After asking me about my past lifeguarding job and my swim history, I was hired on the spot. We shook hands and I started the next week.

Interview Questions

• Might have been because I've already lifeguarded for a couple years before, but all the interviewer asked me about was if I had ever taught swim before and how much my pay was.   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

I initially applied via paper to a variety of pools. When I was interviewed, they asked if I had ever done YMCA summer camps, if I knew the YMCA core values, and my school+extracurricular activities. They wanted to gauge how much time one could devote to the job. I had a total of two interviews. I think dressing nicely, acting respectively helped.

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

No interview, just filled out an application. Had to successfully pass a lifeguarding class. Not really much else to the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ardmore, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA (Ardmore, PA) in June 2012.

Interview

The people who worked at the YMCA that I worked at were very friendly and helpful for anything that I needed. The interview went very smoothly, and the supervisor asked causal questions to understand who I was, and what I could do to help out, and to make sure I was a good fit for the company.

Interview Questions

• They were technically looking to see if I was able to speak clearly and communicate well. I had to dress business casually.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YMCA (Santa Ana, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied for the position of Lifeguard online, and it took an incredibly long time for the application to process. However, I already knew the manager and the head lifeguard, so they in fact did not make me formally interview with them at all. Instead, the 3-day training counted as my interview.