YMCA

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Lifeguard

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – Submitted my application without a resume. I was called in for an interview the next week. The interview was very laid back. Note that I already had 2 years of lifeguarding beforehand. After asking me about my past lifeguarding job and my swim history, I was hired on the spot. We shook hands and I started the next week.

Interview Question – Might have been because I've already lifeguarded for a couple years before, but all the interviewer asked me about was if I had ever taught swim before and how much my pay was.   Answer Question

Rochester, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in November 2010.

Interview Details – As long as you're certified and willing to do a basic swim test, the interview was very smooth and had no aberrations.

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Ardmore, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA in June 2012.

Interview Details – The people who worked at the YMCA that I worked at were very friendly and helpful for anything that I needed. The interview went very smoothly, and the supervisor asked causal questions to understand who I was, and what I could do to help out, and to make sure I was a good fit for the company.

Interview Question – They were technically looking to see if I was able to speak clearly and communicate well. I had to dress business casually.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lifeguard

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – I initially applied via paper to a variety of pools. When I was interviewed, they asked if I had ever done YMCA summer camps, if I knew the YMCA core values, and my school+extracurricular activities. They wanted to gauge how much time one could devote to the job. I had a total of two interviews. I think dressing nicely, acting respectively helped.

Interview Question – If I had my own car.   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA.

Interview Details – No interview, just filled out an application. Had to successfully pass a lifeguarding class. Not really much else to the process.

Hannibal, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in August 2009.

Interview Details – Went in they asked a few questions and I was hired.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was do you want to be apart of the YMCA family.   Answer Question

Painesville, OH

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in October 2010.

Interview Details – Took the training and was hired from there.

Interview Question – I was not asked any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. Minimum wage, period.

Elmhurst, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was very straight forward. They brought me in, I was able to interview with the aquatics director and supervisor. I talked with them for a bit about my certifications and availability. They then told me what they schedule would be like and what would be expected of me. They did a good job of giving me an overview of the company and job. They were very friendly in general. Which is nice. Very easy process, not stressful at all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, set rate.

San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in February 2010.

Interview Details – Pretty straight-forward questions about rescues and procedures.

Interview Question – Are you a convicted sex offender?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not negotiable

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at YMCA in May 2009.

Interview Details – Turned in application. Interviewed 2 weeks later. Filled out paperwork another week later. Started working. For the first few weeks of work they were still doing a background check. You don't get your first paycheck for nearly a month.

Interview Question – What would you do if one of your friends was on the pool deck drunk?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at YMCA

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at YMCA Lifeguard interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by YMCA employees and interview candidates.