YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2015

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at YMCA (Durham, NC).

Interview

The interview was with another candidate. It lasted about an hour, all questions were basic interview questions. They want to make sure that you will fit in as an employee because they are very community based. They also want to know how well you understand lifeguard skills

Interview Questions

• What do you think you would bring to this organization?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, NC

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at YMCA (Burlington, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough and well done. The current aquatics director did not interview me it was his assistant. She was very open and has an assertive personality. She is very upfront as she is new to the position as well. The interview was more in conversational format and, was done with ease. She was a professional with it.

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

Straight forward. Did a phone screen, then an in person interview and an in the water test. Overall process was in line with other interviews I'd done for pool lifeguard positions.

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

Walked in and they gave me the job, I expected to be asked some questions about my skill level and experience but I was instead asked my availability and how soon I could start. Very easy interview process, hardly considered an interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spring Hill, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at YMCA (Spring Hill, FL).

Interview

I filled out an application and I was called for an interview with the Aquatics Director. The interview was quick and consisted of basic questions like why are you interested in this job? What are your past experience as a lifeguard? Availability? Certifications?

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were pretty basic, perhaps the most difficult was why would I like to work as a lifeguard? Be prepared for scenario questions as to how to perform under an emergency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at YMCA (Monroe, WA).

Interview

Easy, very relaxing, standard HR questions. The whole process took approx 10-15 min. As this was lifeguardpostion there was a skills test involved. They would prefer if you were YMCA cert, but they will take others if you show you know your stuff.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

nope

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA (Seattle, WA) in May 2014.

Interview

It was my first job interview, the interviewing process was quicker and easier than I had stressed about. Applied online, submitted cover letter and resume and got a quick email from HR. I went into the actual YMCA and asked about applying and met the supervisor in charge of my department. Scheduled an interview and that was all to it.

Interview Questions

• They gave out a list of advanced terms and asked you to provide the definition.   Answer Question
    • What would I do if ____ happened?   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Submitted my application without a resume. I was called in for an interview the next week. The interview was very laid back. Note that I already had 2 years of lifeguarding beforehand. After asking me about my past lifeguarding job and my swim history, I was hired on the spot. We shook hands and I started the next week.

Interview Questions

• Might have been because I've already lifeguarded for a couple years before, but all the interviewer asked me about was if I had ever taught swim before and how much my pay was.   Answer Question

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

I initially applied via paper to a variety of pools. When I was interviewed, they asked if I had ever done YMCA summer camps, if I knew the YMCA core values, and my school+extracurricular activities. They wanted to gauge how much time one could devote to the job. I had a total of two interviews. I think dressing nicely, acting respectively helped.

Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA.

Interview

No interview, just filled out an application. Had to successfully pass a lifeguarding class. Not really much else to the process.