YMCA Member Service Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

16 interviews

2.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Member Service Representative Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at YMCA.

Pretty basic. You need to know about the company, be ready to talk about why you want to work there and what you can contribute. Know their environment. Be ready to speak about your past experience and your resume and what is on it. Be an outgoing individual, you will be the face of the business and they need to see that you are a relatable person and someone who they would enjoy having around.

Interview Questions
  • Name a weakness or how would you handle a difficult customer   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Member Service Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at YMCA.

The hiring process is all done online. Then you get called in for interviews and shadowing shifts.

Interview Questions
    • They want to see originality. Make sure you answer honestly. YMCA isn't trying to hire robots.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at YMCA.

I submitted my resume through the association's website and was called in for an interview about a week later. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 staff members - one was the department director. The interview lasted about 30 minutes mostly with questions about my prior employment and why I was applying at the YMCA.

Interview Questions
    • One question/answer they seemed very interested in was if I had ever been a Y member before. I had learned to swim as a child at a Y and there was a lot of talk about that. Also, they asked if money was important to me. I found it odd at the time but possibly they were asking since they had not had staff raises in several years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burnsville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Apply online and follow-up directly with the branch that you would like to work at. Make sure to include any and all experience whether it is paid employment or volunteer. Include a cover letter and let them know how the Y would benefit from having you on staff. Always make sure that you include references and contact information.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed to go very well - they really do try to make you as comfortable as possible and understand that you are nervous.   Answer Question

Member Services Representative Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at YMCA in September 2012.

Submitted cover letter and resume via snail mail and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was with the department head and the supervisor. We briefly reviewed my work history but it was very informal. I was honestly nervous at first but I relaxed a lot upon realizing how down to earth and nice these people were. The interview concluded with a quick tour of the facility. I was called about a week later and offered the position. Before starting I did have to come in a few times to fill out paperwork, sign an employment offer, and do a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with pressure? How would you deal with an irritated member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at YMCA in August 2013.

Submitted resume to Membership Director via email and was contacted the next day. Went through a phone interview with Membership Director and then an in-person interview with the Membership Director & Healthy Living Coordinator (at the same time) the following day. Was hired the next day pending drug & background test.

Interview Questions
    • A member wants to try a class but has heard that it's hard. Assuming you have never taken the class, how would you respond to the member?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Was offered the maximum pay for the position I applied for and was asked if I was okay with that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Easy application. Interview very to the point. If you have former experience with the elderly or children, do mention that. When I interviewed, it was only one interview and lasted 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if put into this situation? Those type of questions, they had very random and awkward situations.   Answer Question
    They start off at a certain pay rate, couldn't talk them into more. I understood due to them being a non profit. I got my first raise within 90 days.

Member Service Representative Interview

I had one interview with the membership director as well as an additional staff person. At the time it was a pretty easy and smooth process. There is new management now so it might be different. I walked in to drop off my resume and was scheduled for an interview about a month or two later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I knew what the duties entailed. At the time I didn't and was told that I should know this information whenever I apply for a job/have an interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at YMCA in June 2010.

They were very organized and timely. The woman I spoke with was so personable, both on the phone and in person. They made me feel comfortable and the environment seemed like a fun place to work. Everyone I met was so welcoming and each employee seemed to really enjoy her work.

Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at YMCA in September 2011.

Applied in August of 2011 for a couple of positions within the YMCA, Was called for an Interviewed in September 2011 and had good reviews and was told that I would be called with the details of the interview. The hiring manager called and revealed that she did not offer me the position because a position I was more qualified was coming available and would keep in contact. We kept in contact weekly for the next several months and the position never became available. Around May 2012 I was contacted again by the same hiring manager and offered an interview at another YMCA in town, interviewed there and did not receive the job. Fast forward to January 2013, I was contacted once again by the same manager for another job that I was "very qualified for" I went to interview at the downtown office, took a tour, met the majority of the higher management team, filled out a application in person and from that moment never had another follow-up call or anything again.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were very generic such as describe yourself, how can you help the company, what are your thoughts on wellness   Answer Question

Worked for YMCA? Contribute to the Community!