YMCA Member Service Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jan 5, 2015
Updated Jan 5, 2015

2.4

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at YMCA.

The hiring process is all done online. Then you get called in for interviews and shadowing shifts.

Interview Questions
  • They want to see originality. Make sure you answer honestly. YMCA isn't trying to hire robots.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Member Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at YMCA.

Pretty basic. You need to know about the company, be ready to talk about why you want to work there and what you can contribute. Know their environment. Be ready to speak about your past experience and your resume and what is on it. Be an outgoing individual, you will be the face of the business and they need to see that you are a relatable person and someone who they would enjoy having around.

Interview Questions
    • Name a weakness or how would you handle a difficult customer   View Answer

Member Service Representative Interview

Called in for a interview, sat down and met with hiring managers. It lasted about an hour and mainly concentrated on my experience with customer service, computer use, and values to see if they were consistent with those of the YMCA. They were mainly concerned with my availability and if I could work alone, as most shifts were just for one person. They also wanted to know my commitment to the YMCA and how dedicated I was to their values. I was only interviewed by one person.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a conflict I had to solve.   View Answer

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at YMCA.

Only interviewed with the membership director. Simple questions, just wanted to get a feel for the person who they will be hiring. Want to make sure you will get along with the community members and know how to handle the general public and that you are friendly.

Interview Questions
    • nothing I can think of. I have been a seasonal employee so I knew the person interviewing me.   Answer Question
    Have worked at this company before

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at YMCA.

I submitted my resume through the association's website and was called in for an interview about a week later. I was interviewed by a panel of 3 staff members - one was the department director. The interview lasted about 30 minutes mostly with questions about my prior employment and why I was applying at the YMCA.

Interview Questions
    • One question/answer they seemed very interested in was if I had ever been a Y member before. I had learned to swim as a child at a Y and there was a lot of talk about that. Also, they asked if money was important to me. I found it odd at the time but possibly they were asking since they had not had staff raises in several years.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burnsville, MN

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA in April 2011.

Apply online and follow-up directly with the branch that you would like to work at. Make sure to include any and all experience whether it is paid employment or volunteer. Include a cover letter and let them know how the Y would benefit from having you on staff. Always make sure that you include references and contact information.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process seemed to go very well - they really do try to make you as comfortable as possible and understand that you are nervous.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Algiers, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Algiers, LA

I applied in-person – interviewed at YMCA in February 2015.

Brief- basic questions, seemed rehearsed. I dropped off an application and received an interview appointment two days later. The interview said he would get back to me in a few days. Asked what I knew about YMCA, how do I handle stress, strengths and weaknesses, why would I be a good fit working there. I know the pay is $8.00 an hour and there is a discount on membership.

Member Services Representative Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at YMCA in September 2012.

Submitted cover letter and resume via snail mail and was called in for an interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was with the department head and the supervisor. We briefly reviewed my work history but it was very informal. I was honestly nervous at first but I relaxed a lot upon realizing how down to earth and nice these people were. The interview concluded with a quick tour of the facility. I was called about a week later and offered the position. Before starting I did have to come in a few times to fill out paperwork, sign an employment offer, and do a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with pressure? How would you deal with an irritated member?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Webster, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at YMCA in August 2013.

Submitted resume to Membership Director via email and was contacted the next day. Went through a phone interview with Membership Director and then an in-person interview with the Membership Director & Healthy Living Coordinator (at the same time) the following day. Was hired the next day pending drug & background test.

Interview Questions
    • A member wants to try a class but has heard that it's hard. Assuming you have never taken the class, how would you respond to the member?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Was offered the maximum pay for the position I applied for and was asked if I was okay with that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at YMCA in February 2013.

Easy application. Interview very to the point. If you have former experience with the elderly or children, do mention that. When I interviewed, it was only one interview and lasted 15-20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if put into this situation? Those type of questions, they had very random and awkward situations.   Answer Question
    They start off at a certain pay rate, couldn't talk them into more. I understood due to them being a non profit. I got my first raise within 90 days.